Grado Fan Club!
Oct 31, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #43,757 of 65,693
Hemps came in today and in my brief first listen I kept recalling your description. I think you are onto something. I thought my modded 6XX more exciting and natural. Grado was always the cure against a boring headphone but not so sure in this case. Comparison and measurements later.

Interesting how the hobby works... some people are in love with the Hemp and its stock tuning with the stock pads, while others absolutely hate it. The stock F pads lasted less than 10 minutes on my Hemp before I moved on to other pads.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #43,758 of 65,693
Hemps came in today and in my brief first listen I kept recalling your description. I think you are onto something. I thought my modded 6XX more exciting and natural. Grado was always the cure against a boring headphone but not so sure in this case. Comparison and measurements later.
Interesting how the hobby works... some people are in love with the Hemp and its stock tuning with the stock pads, while others absolutely hate it. The stock F pads lasted less than 10 minutes on my Hemp before I moved on to other pads.

Hemp is not dissimilar to 6XX in tone and not too far behind in resolution to feel like you’ve gone lo-fi. Head-to-head match, 6XXmodded outclasses. But, Hemp can be played directly off an iphone and still sound great. Hemp is a massive upgrade to Porta Pro. In the past couple years in attempt to find a replacement for Porta Pro I went: HD58X, 225e, Symphones v9, HF3, then Hemp. The only major issue with Hemp in this case is the cable is heavy.

Edit: Pads are the key. I have a couple alternates Im going to try, but I already think Im not going to prefer the trade-offs.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #43,759 of 65,693

I hate them because they are uncomfortable, not because of how they affect the signature.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #43,760 of 65,693
I hate them because they are uncomfortable, not because of how they affect the signature.
I'm with you on that. On all the Grados I've had, the flatter the pads less I like them. Usually I use my big knockoff G-Pads with my GH3. Expansive.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #43,761 of 65,693
Hemp is not dissimilar to 6XX in tone and not too far behind in resolution to feel like you’ve gone lo-fi. Head-to-head match, 6XXmodded outclasses. But, Hemp can be played directly off an iphone and still sound great. Hemp is a massive upgrade to Porta Pro. In the past couple years in attempt to find a replacement for Porta Pro I went: HD58X, 225e, Symphones v9, HF3, then Hemp. The only major issue with Hemp in this case is the cable is heavy.

Edit: Pads are the key. I have a couple alternates Im going to try, but I already think Im not going to prefer the trade-offs.

Can you compare the Symphones V9 to the Hemp? I'm thinking of doing a mod with those drivers.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #43,763 of 65,693
Can you compare the Symphones V9 to the Hemp? I'm thinking of doing a mod with those drivers.

Symphones v9 is a little less Grado and more Sennheiser compared to Hemp. Or in other words, v9 trades a bit of energy for more refinement. But v9 has a midbass bump that makes it sound kind of immature at the same time. I did not love it, like a stock HD6XX. Hemp is like 6XX modded for more linear bass and speed. Hemp is darker side tonally, but both can be adjusted to taste with pads within certain limits plus trade offs and all that. Do note that v9 has a driver ear-side grill that will not fit many shallower pad options like the TTVJ deluxe / f-pad.

Edit: Also v9 needs power, Hemp great from phone.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #43,764 of 65,693
Symphones v9 is a little less Grado and more Sennheiser compared to Hemp. Or in other words, v9 trades a bit of energy for more refinement. But v9 has a midbass bump that makes it sound kind of immature at the same time. I did not love it, like a stock HD6XX. Hemp is like 6XX modded for more linear bass and speed. Hemp is darker side tonally, but both can be adjusted to taste with pads within certain limits plus trade offs and all that. Do note that v9 has a driver ear-side grill that will not fit many shallower pad options like the TTVJ deluxe / f-pad.

Edit: Also v9 needs power, Hemp great from phone.

Thanks. That does not sound good to me. Perhaps a Nhoord or a Turbulent X then.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #43,765 of 65,693
Thanks. That does not sound good to me. Perhaps a Nhoord or a Turbulent X then.

I believe Turbulent is made by Symphones but its not a v9. Some of the older Symphones seem to be more my preference fwir.

And there is also ellevenacoustica which appear the most interesting but also the most expensive. Ask @sling5s

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #43,766 of 65,693
elvergun, how did the HF3 compare to the Hemp?

The Hemp is better (not by much), but the HF3 does have the typical Grado highs (if that is something you are looking for). If I had to buy one now (new), I would choose the HF3 for $350. I'm surprised the HF3 didn't get more love when it came out. It really is an outstanding model.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #43,767 of 65,693
For the GS3k and PS2k, if I were to get it from Moon Audio with their re-cable done up, which should I go with? the Black or Silver Dragon cables?

I've used both silver and black on my other headphones, but have no experience with the higher end grados.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #43,768 of 65,693
I believe Turbulent is made by Symphones but its not a v9. Some of the older Symphones seem to be more my preference fwir.

And there is also ellevenacoustica which appear the most interesting but also the most expensive. Ask @sling5s
They are made by Symphones. They are tuned differently though.

I heard a modified Turbulent X (two vents) and it went toe to toe with my RS2e. It was very, very Grado like, yet different.

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #43,770 of 65,693
RS2e with f-pads vs Hemp? HF3 with f-pads vs Hemp?

I briefly listened to the Hemp with F pads when I opened the box. An F pad has not molested my ears since then. :relieved:

Edit: I'm listening to the HF3 with Geekria F pads now and it sounds great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back