Grado Fan Club!
Nov 2, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #43,786 of 65,607
My RS1e smells absolutely wonderful. I plugged it into my Hugo 2, and honestly it did not sound as good it smelled, not at all. Bad pairing. But recently I tried it with a teensy little micro DAP, my sub-100 dollar Hidizs AP80, and uhhh... this synergy, the sound I'm hearing from this modest DAP would convert even the staunchest Grado hater. Everything is optimal: smooth, detailed treble, good strong bass, and a soundstage that passed kick-butt awhile back and graduated up to murder. I sat through a YouTube review of this headphone that was pure negativity (by a very experienced, respectable reviewer), and dude I don't get it. I'm telling you this sounds stellar, with anything well recorded, anything acoustic, with the majority of my highly varied music collection. I'm very satisfied, but also tempted to go buy the most expensive wooden headphone Grado will sell me. You can't wear it all day, it's not as comfy as my other headphones, but for about 2 hours it's fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20201102_171125889.jpg
    IMG_20201102_171125889.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #43,787 of 65,607
My RS1e smells absolutely wonderful. I plugged it into my Hugo 2, and honestly it did not sound as good it smelled, not at all.

Smell-fi.org :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 2, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #43,789 of 65,607
My RS1e smells absolutely wonderful. I plugged it into my Hugo 2, and honestly it did not sound as good it smelled, not at all. Bad pairing. But recently I tried it with a teensy little micro DAP, my sub-100 dollar Hidizs AP80, and uhhh... this synergy, the sound I'm hearing from this modest DAP would convert even the staunchest Grado hater. Everything is optimal: smooth, detailed treble, good strong bass, and a soundstage that passed kick-butt awhile back and graduated up to murder. I sat through a YouTube review of this headphone that was pure negativity (by a very experienced, respectable reviewer), and dude I don't get it. I'm telling you this sounds stellar, with anything well recorded, anything acoustic, with the majority of my highly varied music collection. I'm very satisfied, but also tempted to go buy the most expensive wooden headphone Grado will sell me. You can't wear it all day, it's not as comfy as my other headphones, but for about 2 hours it's fine.

Some reviewers get to keep the gear they review. If they want to keep getting more gear from a particular manufacturer, they can't piss them off. Even if the reviewer does not get to keep the items they review, they still don't want to piss off that manufacturer or else they will not send them anything else for them to review.

Grado does not play this game. Reviewers have to buy the Grado headphones they review, or they are loaned to them by merchants.

So reviewing Grado headphones is a perfect opportunity for reviewers to show just how fair and balanced they are. They are often criticized for never saying anything negative about the gear they review. Well, they can now point to that negative Grado review to prove that they "tell it like it is".

I don't trust most reviewers. I miss Tyll (sigh).

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #43,790 of 65,607
Grado does not play this game. Reviewers have to buy the Grado headphones they review, or they are loaned to them by merchants.

Grado does send products to review. You just have to have known John Grado personally. Also, just a few pages back, people were showing off their super LE LA&OC headphones. The head of LA&OC is Bob Levi. Mr. Levi has reviewed numerous Grado products at Positive Feedback, including the $12k Epoch3 cartridge, and every flagship headphone as it is released. I bet he gets review samples too.

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #43,791 of 65,607
Grado does send products to review. You just have to have known John Grado personally. Also, just a few pages back, people were showing off their super LE LA&OC headphones. The head of LA&OC is Bob Levi. Mr. Levi has reviewed numerous Grado products at Positive Feedback, including the $12k Epoch3 cartridge, and every flagship headphone as it is released. I bet he gets review samples too.

Yes. I was talking about the Jow Blow reviewers with a youtube channel or some obscure web site. Most reviews out in the wild have a disclaimer stating that they received an item in exchange for an honest review. What you are talking about is the exception when it comes to Grado.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #43,792 of 65,607
I don't trust most reviewers. I miss Tyll (sigh).
Tyll was not a Grado fan, and loved the HD 650. I disagree with him on both points.

I don't trust any single review, I look at everything I can find before making a purchase. Even then, it's very easy to make a mistake, need a home trial. I initially bought the beyer Amiron, which I did not like. The GH4 and DT 1990 with Analytical pads is my end game. If it doesn't sound absolutely fantastic on one, it will on the other. Still have and use my SR60 beaters.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #43,795 of 65,607
Tyll was not a Grado fan, and loved the HD 650. I disagree with him on both points.

I don't trust any single review

I trusted Tyll even if I didn't agree with everything he had to say. At least I knew he was giving his honest opinion.

He didn't care for the Grado signature...nobody is perfect.

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #43,797 of 65,607
Tyll did not like the HD650 but he loved the HD600 & with good reason.
Well, neither of us is exactly right. It is true he liked the HD 600 more, but not that he disliked the HD 650. He considered it a "great headphone"

"The HD 650 is rather more problematic to me. While the sound remains very similar to the HD 600 and does seem a tad more refined, it also seems a bit warmer, lusher, and thicker...more "veiled" if you like. Yes, in this case it does seem to warrant the discriptor. Just a bit too much of good thing. I still think it's a great headphone and have no problem recommending it, but with a $100 lower price, and a more neutral and snappier sound, I think the HD 600 is the better buy."

It is true that he did not like Grados.

"I really think the "Sennheiser Veil" myth with these cans is mostly the result of being compared to the many overly-bright headphones in this category (Grado, Audio Technica, AKG)."

I am not familiar with the HD 600, but very familiar with the 650, and it is definitely veiled, no myth.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-3

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #43,798 of 65,607
I trusted Tyll even if I didn't agree with everything he had to say. At least I knew he was giving his honest opinion.

He didn't care for the Grado signature...nobody is perfect.
No reviewer is perfect, but someone with this view of Grado sound is not someone I give much weight to. I find Major Hi-Fi more in tune with my preferences.

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #43,799 of 65,607
I love the HD6XX (which is basically the 650). It's my go to daily driver headphone. Which headphone I use depends on what I'm in the mood for that day. I think it's silly to limit yourself to just one sound signature. When I want something more "fun", I'll reach for my Grados or maybe my HE-500. HD6XX are more used for gaming and watching movies. Though, I admit there are a lot of brands I haven't tried at all yet. Maybe someday I'll find something better than my 6XX for that stuff.

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #43,800 of 65,607
Well, neither of us is exactly right. It is true he liked the HD 600 more, but not that he disliked the HD 650. He considered it a "great headphone"

"The HD 650 is rather more problematic to me. While the sound remains very similar to the HD 600 and does seem a tad more refined, it also seems a bit warmer, lusher, and thicker...more "veiled" if you like. Yes, in this case it does seem to warrant the discriptor. Just a bit too much of good thing. I still think it's a great headphone and have no problem recommending it, but with a $100 lower price, and a more neutral and snappier sound, I think the HD 600 is the better buy."

It is true that he did not like Grados.

"I really think the "Sennheiser Veil" myth with these cans is mostly the result of being compared to the many overly-bright headphones in this category (Grado, Audio Technica, AKG)."

I am not familiar with the HD 600, but very familiar with the 650, and it is definitely veiled, no myth.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650-page-3

The HD600 was still part of his “Wall of Fame“ when he retired & Tyll considered it’s midrange to be better than most high priced headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back