Grado Fan Club!
Oct 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #43,666 of 65,562
I auditioned both the PS2000e's and GS3000e's thru a Focal Arche headphone amp and a Chord Hugo TT2 DAC with High-resolution files taken from Qobuz via an iPad with Bluetooth. So the sources were top notch. I just couldn't swallow the $2,700 ticket for the PS2000e's even though my stereo shop would give me 15% off list.

RAA measured the PS2000e and GS3000e and it's so close that it's assumed they have the same driver. The PS2000e has slightly less treble roll-off but you're paying 50% more and adding 50% more weight for that. The GS2000e is much brighter in comparison.
capture.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #43,667 of 65,562
I think what I'm saying as bass heavy comes from my reference point of what I remember of the old vintage grado with flats. To my recollection, they didn't have much bass. Grado's in general back then were pretty bass light. They had a touch of mid bass to give it that snap and bounce in the music. So when I say the Hemp has too much bass, I'm referencing that auditory memory of my experience with vintage grado with flats.
OK so here is where we differ. I had (and still have) the older Grados with flat pads and there was a bit more bass than treble, which gave a smooth, warm signature. When they switched to the bowl pads, the bass was much lighter, the treble more open. I find the Hemp character sits somewhere in between these two sonic signatures.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #43,668 of 65,562
RAA measured the PS2000e and GS3000e and it's so close that it's assumed they have the same driver. The PS2000e has slightly less treble roll-off but you're paying 50% more and adding 50% more weight for that. The GS2000e is much brighter in comparison.
capture.png
Gippy, thanks for posting this graph because it really reinforces my belief that I made the correct choice in getting the GS3000e’s.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #43,669 of 65,562
I think I can safely say my GS1000e's are broken in now (over 50 hours). The bass changed enough, and I like it now. Still prefer the bass on the RS2e and/or Hemp though. The GS1000e will be my critical listening HP's for when the house is quiet and I can enjoy my music without interruptions. The RS2E's I have at work and the Hemp's will be my cans at home, and for when I want to rock out or just need a change. I'll throw in the GT-220's when I don't want wires hanging around, like when I am working on the inside of a laptop or computer for work, or when I want portability (cutting the lawn, etc.). These wireless earbuds are excellent !!! I don't know how Grado did it, but they sound amazing. I think they must have elves that come into the shop at night to make them because they are magical. They of course don't beat out my other Grado headphones, but I'm sure they would give any sub $500 full sized headphone a run for the money. Speaking of money...time to start saving for a GS3000e. Or maybe get the PS500e first, to try out a metal hybrid.

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #43,670 of 65,562
I think I can safely say my GS1000e's are broken in now (over 50 hours). The bass changed enough, and I like it now. Still prefer the bass on the RS2e and/or Hemp though. The GS1000e will be my critical listening HP's for when the house is quiet and I can enjoy my music without interruptions. The RS2E's I have at work and the Hemp's will be my cans at home, and for when I want to rock out or just need a change. I'll throw in the GT-220's when I don't want wires hanging around, like when I am working on the inside of a laptop or computer for work, or when I want portability (cutting the lawn, etc.). These wireless earbuds are excellent !!! I don't know how Grado did it, but they sound amazing. I think they must have elves that come into the shop at night to make them because they are magical. They of course don't beat out my other Grado headphones, but I'm sure they would give any sub $500 full sized headphone a run for the money. Speaking of money...time to start saving for a GS3000e. Or maybe get the PS500e first, to try out a metal hybrid.

Can you give one example please? How about vs the most common headphone recommended the 6XX at $200? What about Koss 95X? How about Verum One? How about even a Porta Pro? Please dont say things like this because you sound like a shill, youre not a shill, so be more considerate of your statements because someone might think youre shill and that would not be okay.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #43,671 of 65,562
Can you give one example please? How about vs the most common headphone recommended the 6XX at $200? What about Koss 95X? How about Verum One? How about even a Porta Pro? Please dont say things like this because you sound like a shill, youre not a shill, so be more considerate of your statements because someone might think youre shill and that would not be okay.
How about the ATH-MSR7BK? Those I have.... among others, and the little Grado earbuds sound better. Do you want more comparisons? Grado SR80e. Had them....earbuds sound better, to me. Sennheiser HD600. I have them, and I like the earbuds better. YMMV I can go on, but I don't think it's necessary for me to list every sub $500 headphone I've owned or do own. Becasue someone gets excited about a pair of earphones doesn't make him a schill Should I change my post to say sub $300? Whatever you need...

Oct 26, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #43,672 of 65,562
Or maybe get the PS500e first, to try out a metal hybrid.

I have both the PS500e and the Hemp. I like the Hemp a bit more. They sound pretty similar, if I'm being honest. Except the Hemp has more sub bass and seem to be a bit warmer. The PS500e might be a bit more detailed. Haven't done a ton of A/B comparisons with them though. Both are fantastic and I'm glad I own both.

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #43,673 of 65,562
Here are my custom grado's. This is made from spalted cherry. I started an etsy store selling these and some others if anyone is interested. Mostly just to re-coop the time I put into modeling and toolpath generation :)

Riley

Beautiful work Riley! Awesome to see more makers out there!

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #43,674 of 65,562
Have anyone used the 12-conductor Grado extension cable instead of the 4-conductor Grado extension cable and noticed an improvement? I have the 4-conductor one and spoke to my distributor here in Canada and ordered the 12-conductor version. I should receive that tomorrow.

I used the 4-conductor with my old SR60 but now that I have a pair of GH1, I thought I should upgrade since I think the GH1 has 8-conductor cable

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #43,675 of 65,562
Have anyone used the 12-conductor Grado extension cable instead of the 4-conductor Grado extension cable and noticed an improvement? I have the 4-conductor one and spoke to my distributor here in Canada and ordered the 12-conductor version. I should receive that tomorrow.

I used the 4-conductor with my old SR60 but now that I have a pair of GH1, I thought I should upgrade since I think the GH1 has 8-conductor cable
I got a new 12-conductor extension cord with my new 3000e’s, and there’s an audible difference between it and my old 4-conductor on my RS1i’s.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #43,676 of 65,562
I upgraded my amp and dac to the Asgard 3 and Modius, quite a nice stack.

Even though I like the amp, the more I used the liquid spark with the Hemp the more I preferred the Schiit Heresy over it, the Hemp sounds more competent with more detail and it sounds cleaner with the Heresy. Separation is better as well and it doesn't get congested like it does some times with the spark with more volume. Vocals can get a bit shouty with the spark as well and the highs sound like they obscure detail a bit, as if it pushes the detail into the background. These differences are small but noticeable. I'm sure the Magni 3 would sound great as well. (I still like the spark with the Hemp at lower volumes, sounds very life like)

I realized I preferred Schiit's stuff more so I thought I would upgrade, I considered the Modi Multibit with the schiit Vali as I hear that's an awesome setup for Grados, but reports of the MM sounding a bit blurry or less clear had me concerned so instead I went the route of the asgard 3 and modius which I'm enjoying. Another reason I went for this stack was because of the form factor and later on I could get the Bifrost 2 to replace the modius when I can afford it. The sound quality improvement over the modi3/heresy stack isn't large but noticeable in a good way, the soundstage is quite a bit larger(biggest difference) and separation is excellent, it sounds super clean as well. Pretty happy with the end result. I wish I had the gs3000e's now to see how those headphones would sound through this setup.
20201026_225044.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #43,677 of 65,562

Even though I like the amp, the more I used the liquid spark with the Hemp the more I preferred the Schiit Heresy over it, the Hemp sounds more competent with more detail and it sounds cleaner with the Heresy. Separation is better as well and it doesn't get congested like it does some times with the spark with more volume. Vocals can get a bit shouty with the spark as well and the highs sound like they obscure detail a bit, as if it pushes the detail into the background. These differences are small but noticeable. I'm sure the Magni 3 would sound great as well. (I still like the spark with the Hemp at lower volumes, sounds very life like)

I realized I preferred Schiit's stuff more so I thought I would upgrade, I considered the Modi Multibit with the schiit Vali as I hear that's an awesome setup for Grados, but reports of the MM sounding a bit blurry or less clear had me concerned so instead I went the route of the asgard 3 and modius which I'm enjoying. Another reason I went for this stack was because of the form factor and later on I could get the Bifrost 2 to replace the modius when I can afford it. The sound quality improvement over the modi3/heresy stack isn't large but noticeable in a good way, the soundstage is quite a bit larger(biggest difference) and separation is excellent, it sounds super clean as well. Pretty happy with the end result. I wish I had the gs3000e's now to see how those headphones would sound through this setup.
20201026_225044.jpg

I still love that headband.

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #43,678 of 65,562

20201026_225044.jpg
Nice Schiit :)

I still love that headband.

Me too. It really compliments the Hemp.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #43,680 of 65,562

20201026_225044.jpg

Awesome. I'm currently on the Magni 2U and Modi 2U for my setup and I like it a lot. But I have been curious about the Asgard/Modius setup. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back