Grado Fan Club!
Oct 24, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #43,652 of 65,639
Goes to show, different ears and different preferences. Both valid. :)
If I said the sky was blue and someone else said it was green, is that a preference?

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #43,653 of 65,639
If I said the sky was blue and someone else said it was green, is that a preference?

Isn't music more on the side/spectrum of subjective experiences and interpretations based my preferences than objective reality (sky being blue or green which are I got to say extreme contrasts)?

Or take someone saying something tastes salty? Two people can disagree. One saying the pasta is salty and the other saying it's not. But maybe the one calling it salty grew up with a mom cooking bland food while the other calling it not salty grew up with a mom who cooked really rich and salty foods. Or maybe one has sensitivity to salt while the other has dulled taste to salt.
It's one persons experience verses another persons' experience and they are both right based on how they experience their food.

I could use another example of how two people watched the same movie, or saw the same painting and came away with different experiences or opinions on what they saw. They would both be right wouldn't they?

What I mean to say is that we all bring presuppositions to how we see, hear and interpret experiences....and even reality.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #43,655 of 65,639
GH1 w/G cushions, then the GH2 w/G cushions.
As an owner of the PS1000 3x they used to be my favorite Grado, but I regretfully sold my last pair.

+1
joseph69, have you ever auditioned or thought about the PS2000e's as a possibility? To me they sounded really good, but they kept sliding off of my bald head.

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #43,656 of 65,639
joseph69, have you ever auditioned or thought about the PS2000e's as a possibility? To me they sounded really good, but they kept sliding off of my bald head.
Yes, I've owned the PS2000e as well as recently having them (and the GS3000e) for a week+ to listen to them, but unfortunately (again) I didn't find them to be for my tastes or similar to the PS1000. I preferred the GS3000e and was going to purchase them, but in the end I found both, my GH1 & GH2 to be more to my liking. If I could find a NOS (or mint condition PS1000) I'd be all over it. As a matter of fact, I recently missed out on a NOS from Lyric Hi-Fi which is were I purchased the last pair (that I regretfully sold) from. Maybe they'll find another in their warehouse hiding somewhere in the near future.

Oct 25, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #43,657 of 65,639
Yes, I've owned the PS2000e as well as recently having them (and the GS3000e) for a week+ to listen to them, but unfortunately (again) I didn't find them to be for my tastes or similar to the PS1000. I preferred the GS3000e and was going to purchase them, but in the end I found both, my GH1 & GH2 to be more to my liking. If I could find a NOS (or mint condition PS1000) I'd be all over it. As a matter of fact, I recently missed out on a NOS from Lyric Hi-Fi which is were I purchased the last pair (that I regretfully sold) from. Maybe they'll find another in their warehouse hiding somewhere in the near future.
What is it about the sound of the PS1K’s that keeps you going back to them? To me they and the PS2000e sounded a little edgy, as in the trebles were really really crisp and detailed which took away from my ability to enjoy the note decay of certain instruments in different passages of music. I think if I would’ve taken the time to properly EQ the PS hp’s then I might have enjoyed them more. The term that I’ve read over and over about the PS’s is the word “clinical” when folks describe how they sound.

Oct 25, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #43,658 of 65,639
I just did a google search for a NOS Grado PS1000 and didn't come up with any results for NOS, but did see the PS1000 in this link which Im 99.9% sure I was the original owner of due to the black bands around the circumference of the cups. I believe I sold my last pair to @JoeDoe and he also sold them after some time. @JoeDoe would you be able to confirm if you sold these to this eBay member who also may be a Head-Fi member?

I've also contacted the eBay seller asking if he is a Head-Fi member and if he could take a look at the underside of the black bands and let me know if they say 'Moore Macericks' on them. Moore Mavericks is a local High School football team where I purchased the bands from. If so, I'm definitely the original owner of these which were the last pair I purchased from Lyric Hi-Fi NOS and I would be interested in purchasing them.

Oct 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #43,659 of 65,639
What is it about the sound of the PS1K’s that keeps you going back to them? To me they and the PS2000e sounded a little edgy, as in the trebles were really really crisp and detailed which took away from my ability to enjoy the note decay of certain instruments in different passages of music. I think if I would’ve taken the time to properly EQ the PS hp’s then I might have enjoyed them more. The term that I’ve read over and over about the PS’s is the word “clinical” when folks describe how they sound.
Out of the 3 PS1000's I've owned I've never found any to be edgy or too crisp sounding in any way.
In fact, I found them to be quite the opposite, sounding very full bodied with the best vocals I've ever heard, especially my last pair being I did find some slight inconsistencies between the 3 but nothing excessive. System synergy.

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #43,662 of 65,639
Out of the 3 PS1000's I've owned I've never found any to be edgy or too crisp sounding in any way.
In fact, I found them to be quite the opposite, sounding very full bodied with the best vocals I've ever heard, especially my last pair being I did find some slight inconsistencies between the 3 but nothing excessive. System synergy.
joseph69, well you're helping me get back into the descriptive side of this headphone game. I think what I was trying to convey was that coming from my old RS1i's the sound of the PS1000 and 2000e's was just so much more detailed then what I was used too. I auditioned both the PS2000e's and GS3000e's thru a Focal Arche headphone amp and a Chord Hugo TT2 DAC with High-resolution files taken from Qobuz via an iPad with Bluetooth. So the sources were top notch. I just couldn't swallow the $2,700 ticket for the PS2000e's even though my stereo shop would give me 15% off list.

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #43,663 of 65,639
Isn't music more on the side/spectrum of subjective experiences and interpretations based my preferences than objective reality (sky being blue or green which are I got to say extreme contrasts)?

Or take someone saying something tastes salty? Two people can disagree. One saying the pasta is salty and the other saying it's not. But maybe the one calling it salty grew up with a mom cooking bland food while the other calling it not salty grew up with a mom who cooked really rich and salty foods. Or maybe one has sensitivity to salt while the other has dulled taste to salt.
It's one persons experience verses another persons' experience and they are both right based on how they experience their food.

I could use another example of how two people watched the same movie, or saw the same painting and came away with different experiences or opinions on what they saw. They would both be right wouldn't they?

What I mean to say is that we all bring presuppositions to how we see, hear and interpret experiences....and even reality.
I agree with everything you are saying but you are talking more about personal tastes. What you like. I was talking about when a headphone has the sonic fundamentals lined up and balanced fairly evenly and would appear to measure as such, and one person hears that even balance and another does not. Is it still preference? I don't think it's the same as comparing salty and non salty food. You can change a recipe so the balance favors the sodium factor and one person might not think it's overly salty but it IS overly salty. You've added more. But to use your food analogy to compare to listening, if you turned all the bass off and turned the treble all the way up (via EQ or tone controls on an amp) and adjusted to that sound, when you set them back to 'neutral', the sound would be bass heavy and dull in the top. But it's not. That was the point I was trying to make.

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #43,664 of 65,639
I agree with everything you are saying but you are talking more about personal tastes. What you like. I was talking about when a headphone has the sonic fundamentals lined up and balanced fairly evenly and would appear to measure as such, and one person hears that even balance and another does not. Is it still preference? I don't think it's the same as comparing salty and non salty food. You can change a recipe so the balance favors the sodium factor and one person might not think it's overly salty but it IS overly salty. You've added more. But to use your food analogy to compare to listening, if you turned all the bass off and turned the treble all the way up (via EQ or tone controls on an amp) and adjusted to that sound, when you set them back to 'neutral', the sound would be bass heavy and dull in the top. But it's not. That was the point I was trying to make.

I think what I'm saying as bass heavy comes from my reference point of what I remember of the old vintage grado with flats. To my recollection, they didn't have much bass. Grado's in general back then were pretty bass light. They had a touch of mid bass to give it that snap and bounce in the music. So when I say the Hemp has too much bass, I'm referencing that auditory memory of my experience with vintage grado with flats.

I wanted Grado Labs to make the mids like the vintage grados. The "I" series had thin mids to my ears. And in the "e" series they crafted mids to my liking. But at the same time, they did add more bass which I didn't want for my taste. I liked the amount of bass that grados always had. My preference is more mid and treble emphasis with a touch of mid bass. I actually dislike low bass for rock. Sure when I'm listening to EMD, Pop or Rap, I want low bass frequencies but for rock, I don't care for it very much.

So all in all, I have a very strong bias, preference and defined sense of what I want in a grado that is suited for rock (alt, progressive, and classic). Hope that makes sense.
As you can tell, my needs and what I want to hear and like really determines what I call "too much bass". It's really relative to my taste. So yes, my impressions are not definitive truths at all. It's very much subjective and skewed. Probably overly so. :)

Thanks for your thoughts though. I appreciate your validation.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #43,665 of 65,639
I think what I'm saying as bass heavy comes from my reference point of what I remember of the old vintage grado with flats. To my recollection, they didn't have much bass. Grado's in general back then were pretty bass light. They had a touch of mid bass to give it that snap and bounce in the music. So when I say the Hemp has too much bass, I'm referencing that auditory memory of my experience with vintage grado with flats.

I wanted Grado Labs to make the mids like the vintage grados. The "I" series had thin mids to my ears. And in the "e" series they crafted mids to my liking. But at the same time, they did add more bass which I didn't want for my taste. I liked the amount of bass that grados always had. My preference is more mid and treble emphasis with a touch of mid bass. I actually dislike low bass for rock. Sure when I'm listening to EMD, Pop or Rap, I want low bass frequencies but for rock, I don't care for it very much.

So all in all, I have a very strong bias, preference and defined sense of what I want in a grado that is suited for rock (alt, progressive, and classic). Hope that makes sense.
As you can tell, my needs and what I want to hear and like really determines what I call "too much bass". It's really relative to my taste. So yes, my impressions are not definitive truths at all. It's very much subjective and skewed. Probably overly so. :)

Thanks for your thoughts though. I appreciate your validation.

Well, as a DT48 user, I fully understand if you think Hemp has a little too much bass. While something like HD650 or Audeze headphone will be bass monster for you.

Personally, I like Hemp bass as the quantity is there, without overpower the presence of vocal. Something like Grado HF2 and PS500e (Not really my cup of tea) and even RS1e (I like this one) will produce a little bigger mid bass compare to Hemp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back