Grado Fan Club!
May 1, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #41,251 of 66,280
I've really been enjoying listening to my Grado PS500 and Alessandro MS-Pro during the lockdown in NZ!
IMG-0181.jpg

May 1, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #41,252 of 66,280
I am having a hard time deciding between the RS2e and the GH4, I like vocals. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I've been listening to the two for a few months, and have yet to hear any discernible difference.
Also have the 500e which I like better than either of them.
(Music ranges from classical to electric and acoustic jazz, electronica, and rock.)

May 2, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #41,254 of 66,280
Hi Grado Owners & Fans,
I bought my first Grado headphone (since 2012 when I tried the PS1000 which I liked the sound of very much but were just too heavy for me), a set of SR80e's this week and have been enjoying them so much (sound performance vs price is amazing) out of my Chord Hugo2 (linked to my Chord Blu Mk1 via twin BNC to single 3,5mm jack to give me 176kHz sampling rate) that I decided to buy some brand new GS3000e's from a UK HiFi dealer yesterday evening. I hope they are the latest versions that come in the latest re-designed Grado box. They should be with me mid to end of next week.

Will be interesting to see how they compare with my current owned and favourite headphone, the Beyerdynamic T5P Gen2's (which wiped out the Beyer T1 Gen2's and Senn HD800S's to my ears when I home auditioned all three over a two week period).

May 2, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #41,255 of 66,280
Hi Grado Owners & Fans,
I bought my first Grado headphone (since 2012 when I tried the PS1000 which I liked the sound of very much but were just too heavy for me), a set of SR80e's this week and have been enjoying them so much (sound performance vs price is amazing) out of my Chord Hugo2 (linked to my Chord Blu Mk1 via twin BNC to single 3,5mm jack to give me 176kHz sampling rate) that I decided to buy some brand new GS3000e's from a UK HiFi dealer yesterday evening. I hope they are the latest versions that come in the latest re-designed Grado box. They should be with me mid to end of next week.

Will be interesting to see how they compare with my current owned and favourite headphone, the Beyerdynamic T5P Gen2's (which wiped out the Beyer T1 Gen2's and Senn HD800S's to my ears when I home auditioned all three over a two week period).
I am also wondering how good the GS3000e's will sound compared to the other high end Grado's particularly the GS2000e and the GS1000i (which from the forums on Head-Fi.org the GS1000i is a better performer than the newer GS1000e) and the RS1e's and the GH2 Cocobola Ltd edition.

May 2, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #41,256 of 66,280
I've been listening to the two for a few months, and have yet to hear any discernible difference.
Also have the 500e which I like better than either of them.
(Music ranges from classical to electric and acoustic jazz, electronica, and rock.)
Have you heard and compared the GH2 Cocobola Ltd Edition with the 500e's ? Do you find the 500e's a bit heavy to wear for extended listening periods ?

May 2, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #41,257 of 66,280
I am also wondering how good the GS3000e's will sound compared to the other high end Grado's particularly the GS2000e and the GS1000i (which from the forums on Head-Fi.org the GS1000i is a better performer than the newer GS1000e) and the RS1e's and the GH2 Cocobola Ltd edition.

I compared the GS2000e vs GS3000e way back earlier in the thread here. Haven't heard the others for a significant amount of time to make a real comparison.

May 2, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #41,258 of 66,280
I compared the GS2000e vs GS3000e way back earlier in the thread here. Haven't heard the others for a significant amount of time to make a real comparison.
Thank you Gippy. Much appreciated. From your experience and thread its sounds like I made a good choice going for the GS3000e over the GS2000e.

May 2, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #41,259 of 66,280
I decided to build my dad a pair of headphones for his 50th birthday and since Grado headphones are regarded as the best in the world, i decided to model my headphones strictly after them, and after salivating over the posts about Grado Labs here, i couldn't prevent myself from making an homage to their methods.

In the design i have combined the Grado HP1000 concept with the look of the GS2000.

The first step was figuring out how the circuit of the Polarity switch in the headphones would work, so i used a pair of safety headsets and simply soldered the polarity switch, fixed them into the safety headset, used some sub-standard dynamic drivers to see if the polarity switch circuit worked, all this was done via Point To Point soldering. I checked the polarity by ear, using sheffield audio's 50 Hz polarity pulses and a circuit as follows :-

https://forum.digikey.com/t/polarity-reversal-using-a-dpdt-switch/626
https://www.stereophile.com/content/inverting-polarity-1

I started by figuring out the design of the housing and whether the whole thing would actually be acoustically sound, so after a bit of trial and error i came up with the final dimensions.
The wood is Indian Oak, but i would have personally gone for Rose wood. I made them on a wooden lathe in college and sanded it later by hand to get the finish i wanted.
I attached Grado styled cushions as well but they weren't very comfortable.

Almost all of the money for the headphone went into the drivers, wires and polarity switch, making the drivers the most expensive component of the build. I would not settle for any ordinary driver for my dad, and was even modded and installed an Orthodynamic driver during experimentation, but since he works in an environment where there are quite a few magnetic elements i swapped them out for the best dynamic driver i could afford at the time - Here's the link if you wanna check these out:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/3294...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The next was the UHPLC wiring, which took a bit of time but i used RCA jacks in case he would want to plug them into his old stereo radio, i gave him an RCA to 3.5 mm conversion jack for when he would want to use them with his phone or MP3 player. I soldered them to their respective ends and used multiple coils of heat shrink cable fixed around each other to seal them into the headphones. Then i drilled holes into the black wire mesh that gives the headphones their open-back appeal, fixed the polarity switch knobs into them, and then soldered the six pin DPDT switch to the UHPLC cables, and finally added the drivers in, soldered them and sealed the whole arrangement.

I also built an external polarity switching circuit as cheaply as i could so that i could try out the polarity switching with my ATH-M50's.

These headphones would not sound good without a decent amplifier so i followed the instructions to build one of these-

https://www.instructables.com/id/Class-A-Hybrid-Headphone-Amp/

P.S- I made this post after the user 'protoss' encouraged me to do so. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_200135.jpg
    IMG_20200502_200135.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170805_014515.jpg
    IMG_20170805_014515.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171227_092634.jpg
    IMG_20171227_092634.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170806_044311.jpg
    IMG_20170806_044311.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20171230-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20171230-WA0002.jpeg
    828.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180225_052041.jpg
    IMG_20180225_052041.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171230_105609.jpg
    IMG_20171230_105609.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171230_105547__01.jpg
    IMG_20171230_105547__01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171227_092625.jpg
    IMG_20171227_092625.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 11158582.jpg
    11158582.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20171029_222614.jpg
    IMG_20171029_222614.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #41,260 of 66,280
I decided to build my dad a pair of headphones for his 50th birthday and since Grado headphones are regarded as the best in the world, i decided to model my headphones strictly after them, and after salivating over the posts about Grado Labs here, i couldn't prevent myself from making an homage to their methods.

In the design i have combined the Grado HP1000 concept with the look of the GS2000.

The first step was figuring out how the circuit of the Polarity switch in the headphones would work, so i used a pair of safety headsets and simply soldered the polarity switch, fixed them into the safety headset, used some sub-standard dynamic drivers to see if the polarity switch circuit worked, all this was done via Point To Point soldering. I checked the polarity by ear, using sheffield audio's 50 Hz polarity pulses and a circuit as follows :-

I started by figuring out the design of the housing and whether the whole thing would actually be acoustically sound, so after a bit of trial and error i came up with the final dimensions.
The wood is Indian Oak, but i would have personally gone for Rose wood. I made them on a wooden lathe in college and sanded it later by hand to get the finish i wanted.

Almost all of the money for the headphone went into the drivers, wires and polarity switch, making the drivers the most expensive component of the build. I would not settle for any ordinary driver for my dad, and was even modded and installed an Orthodynamic driver during experimentation, but since he works in an environment where there are quite a few magnetic elements i swapped them out for the best dynamic driver i could afford at the time - Here's the link if you wanna check these out:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/3294...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The next was the UHPLC wiring, which took a bit of time but i used RCA jacks in case he would want to plug them into his old stereo radio, i gave him an RCA to 3.5 mm conversion jack for when he would want to use them with his phone or MP3 player. I soldered them to their respective ends and used multiple coils of heat shrink cable fixed around each other to seal them into the headphones. Then i drilled holes into the black wire mesh that gives the headphones their open-back appeal, fixed the polarity switch knobs into them, and then soldered the six pin DPDT switch to the UHPLC cables, and finally added the drivers in, soldered them and sealed the whole arrangement.

I also built an external polarity switching circuit as cheaply as i could so that i could try out the polarity switching with my ATH-M50's.

These headphones would not sound good without a decent amplifier so i followed the instructions to build one of these-

P.S- I made this post after the user 'protoss' encouraged me to do so. Thank you.

You are VERY talented! I am hesitant to do my driver tune-up on my Fostex's and you go out and build a headphone. :thumbsup:

May 2, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #41,261 of 66,280
You won't go wrong with either, performance is very close. I own the GH4, and have had extended loans of the RS2e. I think it depends on whether you prefer a slightly bigger bass (GH4) or slightly more revealing treble (RS2e).
Thanks a lot, I think I will get the RS2e then even though I like the wood on the GH4 better.

May 2, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #41,262 of 66,280

I've been on this forum for many years and I believe your post above and your dedication to your dad is the most interesting and unusual post I have ever seen on this forum. You are a very talented young man,

May 2, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #41,264 of 66,280
Quick question, my Grado's have a bit of a rattle on one of the earpieces and I was wondering if there is an at home remedy for this or if I should send it in for repairs. Its a PS500 and has had many years of love, so I am thinking it may need a little bit of maintenance. Also, has anyone had any experience with Grado's Repair company in Canada?

May 2, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #41,265 of 66,280
Quick question, my Grado's have a bit of a rattle on one of the earpieces and I was wondering if there is an at home remedy for this or if I should send it in for repairs. Its a PS500 and has had many years of love, so I am thinking it may need a little bit of maintenance. Also, has anyone had any experience with Grado's Repair company in Canada?
just blow some air into it, most of time time that rattle caused from dust or hair, if the rattle still there then yeah probably problem with the driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back