Grado Fan Club!
May 5, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #41,281 of 66,261
Just listening to the Grado 3000e through my Chord Hugo 2 which arrived today.

Initial impressions is that they are a nice balanced headphone across the whole frequency range, and look very nice too. Quality is very good.

The cocobola wood has an interesting and strange smell to it...like a cement & clay mortar mix kind of smell.

Over this coming extended weekend (public holiday in UK this coming Friday) I will test them out against my Beyer T5P Gen 2's and the recently bought Grado SR80e's with the original pads and aftermarket G size cushions (which also arrived today) across a wide and different range of genres.

In the meantime I will try and get around 50 to 60 hours of burn in between now and Friday.

fullsizeoutput_190c.jpegfullsizeoutput_1912.jpegfullsizeoutput_1916.jpeg
Beautiful looking! I have the Cocobolo in my GH2's and I love looking at it.

I would be interested in your comparison with the T5p.2's. I owned them for several months and just sold them recently.

May 5, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #41,284 of 66,261
They look a beautiful pair of headphones. Enjoy!
Thank you THGM.
Yes the iphone photos don't do them justice of how they look in the flesh.

May 5, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #41,285 of 66,261
Tell me you didn’t just get a cardboard box??!!!
Thank you paulybatz. Yes they are a very attractive headphone.
They came in a much nicer box than the older Pizza box style. This newer and revised Grado bix has magnetic leafed lid and the cardboard itself is quite thick and stiff and the surface has a slight lamination to it..

May 5, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #41,286 of 66,261
Beautiful looking! I have the Cocobolo in my GH2's and I love looking at it.

I would be interested in your comparison with the T5p.2's. I owned them for several months and just sold them recently.
Thank you Shane D.
Yes as soon as I have done a good comparison this coming weekend, I will post my findings on this forum.

May 5, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #41,287 of 66,261
Thanks for the kind answer.
Actually, English is not my major language.
Also, I have already bothered them with the minor issues of my GS3000e.
So even if it looks weird, I'm trying to check it myself for a while.

You're very welcome.
And, FWIW, the most recent Grado headphones purchase I've made was
about 2 weeks ago. New.
They were SR225e's which I wanted as "walking around outside" headphones.
The box was their typical cardboard, white and orange..

May 5, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #41,288 of 66,261
Thank you paulybatz. Yes they are a very attractive headphone.
They came in a much nicer box than the older Pizza box style. This newer and revised Grado bix has magnetic leafed lid and the cardboard itself is quite thick and stiff and the surface has a slight lamination to it..

Crazy though.

They could put them in one of these for very little more than they paid to have those boxes made and designed. I’m on my Second pair of grado...and my two biggest gripes are the box and the hard wired cables.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 5, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #41,289 of 66,261
Crazy though.

They could put them in one of these for very little more than they paid to have those boxes made and designed. I’m on my Second pair of grado...and my two biggest gripes are the box and the hard wired cables.
I have no issues with the boxes the Grado's come in as I am using them solely for home use therefore don't need a travel case or a better box for them.

TBH I would rather have Grado's approach than say a Meze Empryean which has a way OTT metal case, a lovely made headphone yet the sound from them was.......well lets just say I listened to them for 10 minutes, put my T5P Gen2's back on and later put the Meze's back in their lovely case and sent them back to the dealer the next day.

My T5P's came in a nice travel case, but haven't used it since I have had them for 10 months now and I have travelled with them twice on plane.

Still have the GS3000e's on my head after over 2 hours now. Currently listening to Diana Krall's album "When I Look in Your Eyes" as I type this message and the sound is superb. Very balanced, clear and transparent with no treble harshness at all and a nice natural all round soundstage (not artificial sounding like a HD800 can be).

May 5, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #41,290 of 66,261
I will have to audition those down the line.
Sold my RS1 and got the PS1k...definitely an upgrade...when I buy a flagship a box is nice...
That’s how you know they’re good phones, you just lose a little time with them on.
Thanks for sharing.
Pauly

May 6, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #41,291 of 66,261
I will have to audition those down the line.
Sold my RS1 and got the PS1k...definitely an upgrade...when I buy a flagship a box is nice...
That’s how you know they’re good phones, you just lose a little time with them on.
Thanks for sharing.
Pauly
you could buy one if you want
https://www.4ourears.net/4OurEars_exclusive_headphone_storage_box_p/4e-box1000.htm
i think the price raised a bit, i think it used to be $125... can't really remember.
i don't mind a nicer box but it won't make that much differences in my opinion, i bought that case long time ago, never really seen much use of it, basically just paper weight. But from the past few months i haven't really use ps1000e, and then i thought to myself i should've put ps1000e to that nice wooden box

May 6, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #41,292 of 66,261
before i put my ps1000e in to the box, i bought a knock off g-pad, and then tried em in ps1000e. i can't say it's more comfy than genuine g-pad, as crazy as it sounds genuine g-pad in my opinion way comfier than knock off g-pad. anyway for the sound, it ruin the whole balance, i prefer the genuine g-pad for the sound at least for my taste but one thing for sure, i never heard that kind of bass before in ps1000e, with simple music, small ensemble band, it's sounds really nice but for metal, that bass bleed all over the place

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #41,293 of 66,261
before i put my ps1000e in to the box, i bought a knock off g-pad, and then tried em in ps1000e. i can't say it's more comfy than genuine g-pad, as crazy as it sounds genuine g-pad in my opinion way comfier than knock off g-pad. anyway for the sound, it ruin the whole balance, i prefer the genuine g-pad for the sound at least for my taste but one thing for sure, i never heard that kind of bass before in ps1000e, with simple music, small ensemble band, it's sounds really nice but for metal, that bass bleed all over the place

Yes, I found the same with buying after-market pads G Cushions to try on my SR80e's.
These after-market pads are completely different to the official G Cushions that I have fitted on my GS3000e's. They are much shallower.

Also when I tried them last night on my SR80e's the sound wasn't good. The stock SR80e pads sound 100% better. Only the comfort on the ears was improved.

May 6, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #41,294 of 66,261
Also when I tried them last night on my SR80e's the sound wasn't good. The stock SR80e pads sound 100% better. Only the comfort on the ears was improved.

For a fun time, try the opposite and put the SR80e pads on the GS3000e. The soundstage width will collapse, but you may actually enjoy the sound, as the SR80e pads remove the 6-7khz peak.

May 6, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #41,295 of 66,261
For a fun time, try the opposite and put the SR80e pads on the GS3000e. The soundstage width will collapse, but you may actually enjoy the sound, as the SR80e pads remove the 6-7khz peak.
How do those small pads fit?

Some people have said to buy the Sennheiser pads for the small grado and put them on backwards

See the grado mods group

Users who are viewing this thread

Back