Grado Fan Club!
Mar 21, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #41,030 of 65,633
IMO, the PS1 actually fits this description released circa mid-2000s.
Interesting, I don't believe I have ever heard the PS1. Sounds like I would like to though. I do have the GH4 with me still and I hope to get a little time to listen to them again before they move on. My first impression was generally quite positive; however and I forget what music it was with, but there was something I played where the midrange focus just made the presentation braying and glaring. Saying that, and not surprising there were other pieces of music that I found the GH4 reproduced wonderfully. Looking forward to a few hours of listening with the GH4 sometime soon. There is a local Grado dealer who seems to stock a fairly decent range of Grado headphones, I'll have to mosey on over and see what models they have available to audition.

Mar 23, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #41,031 of 65,633
What's with all that glue around the driver? Did the RS1 previously break, and whoever repaired it added too much glue? I have never seen a Grado with that sloppy of a glue job, and it'd make any buyer have second thoughts.

Not to my knowledge. It came to me that way and given the rest of the condition, pretty sure it is original but...I cannot really say 100% as I was not first owner.

Thanks for commenting, it is good to know.

Mar 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #41,033 of 65,633
Currently using a Grado g1000e which i love with a chord mojo. Now i'm thinking about upgrading the dac/amp and need some impressions.

Option 1: RME ADI-2 Dac new for 1000€
Option 2: Used Chord 2Qute + Used Violectric. V200 for 1000€
Option 3: Used Chord Qutest + Used V200 for 1500€

Any thoughts on that?

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #41,034 of 65,633
@Deolum At those prices I wouldn't really consider a dac/amp combo unit, as that leaves you with less flexibility should you need to upgrade in the future. Combo units are great for portability or for those on a budget, but 1000€ is a LOT. If you're dead set on getting the Violectric V200, get that first and see if you like it with the Chord Mojo. The Chord 2Qute/Qutest are overpriced for their feature set -- you don't get balanced outputs.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #41,035 of 65,633
@Deolum At those prices I wouldn't really consider a dac/amp combo unit, as that leaves you with less flexibility should you need to upgrade in the future. Combo units are great for portability or for those on a budget, but 1000€ is a LOT. If you're dead set on getting the Violectric V200, get that first and see if you like it with the Chord Mojo. The Chord 2Qute/Qutest are overpriced for their feature set -- you don't get balanced outputs.
Actually messed a bit up and did it the other way around. Got a chord 2qute for 500 bucks first and missed my auction on ebay for a V200. Now i'm just looking for a amp. I can't really decide between V200 or Mjolnir 2. V200 would be 500 and Mjolnir 650 used.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #41,036 of 65,633
Random question -- maybe @ruthieandjohn has the answer to this. I've got a (remote) coworker who's moving away from open back cans to earbuds so he can listen more in the office (when society returns to normal) and is interested in selling his GH4s. I've heard they are a sort of "descendant" or replacement for the GH2. I'm wondering, are they different enough from my GH2 (which I absolutely love) to justify buying? To be honest, I don't need another pair of open back woodies, but I love the looks of the pine and the fact that they are supposed to have some actual bass (again, like the GH2).

Otherwise, I am considering getting a closed back pair just because I wouldn't mind being able to better block out the family during this quarantine period because I still have to work and they don't -- and wouldn't mind some better bass :)

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #41,037 of 65,633
I'm getting back into headphone listening in a big way lately. I started over 20 years ago with the SR125, which I love and still own but is currently back at Grado for servicing. In the meantime I'm using my SR60 with a Schiit Fulla on my laptop when I'm working, and my beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (250 ohm) plugged into a Schiit Magni 3+ and Modi 3 DAC. I'm looking forward to getting the SR125 back, too.

I'm wondering, though... I've thought about getting the SR225e, but I'm not sure how different it would be from my old SR125. I gather there's a bit more difference with the "e" series, so it's not as simple as an "upgrade"... sort of a side-upgrade? Any thoughts on sound differences between those two models?

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #41,038 of 65,633
Random question -- maybe @ruthieandjohn has the answer to this. I've got a (remote) coworker who's moving away from open back cans to earbuds so he can listen more in the office (when society returns to normal) and is interested in selling his GH4s. I've heard they are a sort of "descendant" or replacement for the GH2. I'm wondering, are they different enough from my GH2 (which I absolutely love) to justify buying? To be honest, I don't need another pair of open back woodies, but I love the looks of the pine and the fact that they are supposed to have some actual bass (again, like the GH2).

Otherwise, I am considering getting a closed back pair just because I wouldn't mind being able to better block out the family during this quarantine period because I still have to work and they don't -- and wouldn't mind some better bass :)
So sorry @ParaLoganGrado , I do not have, nor have ever heard, the GH4’s. I find the GH2s to be the best sounding of the GRADO on ears, for me.

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #41,039 of 65,633
So sorry @ParaLoganGrado , I do not have, nor have ever heard, the GH4’s. I find the GH2s to be the best sounding of the GRADO on ears, for me.

Thanks! Dang, might not be worth it if it's not at least "on the same level", even if it is different. Maybe I can get him down to a really good price and then I can have an extra pair of beautiful cans anyway lol.

If I had the funds and we weren't in the middle of a crisis, I'd snag up a pair of Quad ERA-1s. But thats a few hundred away from my fun budget for the moment! I've also been wanting to get a small single ended EL34 amp for the speakers downstairs, but having a 1 month old baby limits my free time and ability to play music loudly lol. Hopefully I have another 50 years of life left and will get all of them someday!

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #41,040 of 65,633
xag5vN1_935TY99u4cRJzqu2bloHFMYNpuftOPi3itw.jpg

Hello, Grado friends. Here are mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back