Grado Fan Club!
Mar 27, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #39,406 of 65,621
I agree that the Grado’s improve with a proper amp. Normally I use a Graham Slee Solo Ultra Diamond Edition and it works beautifully with Grados. However, just (re)discovered how well my beloved GH2s goes very well also with my NW-zx2. But as you say things are changing with time, mood and music. Whatever that makes us is a bless. Cheers

They sound good out of my ZX300, but without being able to change cables they miss out on the best part: Balanced output. I thought about doing the Beautiful cable mod (or more exacty, getting someone else to do it), but now with my Burson amp, I am good.

Shane D

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #39,407 of 65,621
I agree that the Grado’s improve with a proper amp. Normally I use a Graham Slee Solo Ultra Diamond Edition and it works beautifully with Grados. However, just (re)discovered how well my beloved GH2s goes very well also with my NW-zx2. But as you say things are changing with time, mood and music. Whatever that makes us is a bless. Cheers

Several amps I have work very well with the various Grados I have tried or owned. I find the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp is quite good, Burson HA-160, Mad Ear, Violectric V200, ALO Pan Am w/Passport and Gateway, ALO Continental v5 and TEAC HA-501 dual mono class A.

I also find some Grados more amp fussy than others.

Mar 28, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #39,408 of 65,621
Several amps I have work very well with the various Grados I have tried or owned. I find the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp is quite good, Burson HA-160, Mad Ear, Violectric V200, ALO Pan Am w/Passport and Gateway, ALO Continental v5 and TEAC HA-501 dual mono class A.

I also find some Grados more amp fussy than others.

I recently bought the Vali 2 to go with my RS2e and I've been very happy with the combination. I listen on low gain at about 7 o clock on the volume knob and haven't heard any channel imbalance. Would be nice to have more headroom on the volume knob but otherwise no complaints.

Mar 28, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #39,409 of 65,621
I really don't find any Grado's have great bass. I EQ from my DAP and it sounds pretty good. Through my new amp, it sounds awesome. It sounds so full and rich to me now. Of course everybody hears differently and I am sure that there are dozens and dozens of amps people prefer with their Grado's. For the longest time I always believed that Grado's didn't need an amp since they are so easy to drive and I don't listen very loud. I was SO wrong on that. It is not about power, it is about sound.

Looking foward to your take on the PS1000. I tried the PS500e and it didn't work for me at all. I probably already mentioned this, but a local shop had their demo set on sale for the same price that I paid for my SR325e's. To me it was a smoother SR325e with all the fun sucked out.
Of course you can take that impression with a grain of salt since at the same time I fell deeply in love with, and bought, the NightOwl Carbons at half price. A month later I hated them so much I sold them.:yum:

That is why I normally wait several months to really decide whether to keep a set or not.

Shane D

I left Grado for a while in pursuit of BASS. I have a TH900, and THX-00 and Senn HD58X. The two Fostex headphones have really nice bass, especially the TH900. It is a really really good headphone. After experiencing the bass I was chasing, I found that while the bass on the Fostex headphones IS better than the 58X and most Grados, that it wasn't what I was REALLY looking for. I got the PS500 and found that after having found THE BASS, that it wasn't as important as I had first believed. The PS500 has enough bass for most purposes. It even plays "On We March" from "The Social Network" soundtrack very well. The bass isn't what it is on the TH900, but it's correct enough. The other qualities of the PS500 easily make up the difference. Guitars cut, growl, and thrum. Drums sound tight. Vocals are brought forward. I've think I've found the 3 headphones that I want in the TH900, PS500, and HD58X. I think I could be ok with just the Grado and Fostex, but it doesn't seem right not to have a member of the HD600 family.

I'd like to be done with headphones, and try out a DAC a little higher on the food chain than the Modi MB to see if I really can tell any difference. The only other headphone I'd like to add is an HD650 to see if it really does scale up like it's said to. I just don't have the gear to find out yet.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #39,410 of 65,621
I left Grado for a while in pursuit of BASS. I have a TH900, and THX-00 and Senn HD58X. The two Fostex headphones have really nice bass, especially the TH900. It is a really really good headphone. After experiencing the bass I was chasing, I found that while the bass on the Fostex headphones IS better than the 58X and most Grados, that it wasn't what I was REALLY looking for. I got the PS500 and found that after having found THE BASS, that it wasn't as important as I had first believed. The PS500 has enough bass for most purposes. It even plays "On We March" from "The Social Network" soundtrack very well. The bass isn't what it is on the TH900, but it's correct enough. The other qualities of the PS500 easily make up the difference. Guitars cut, growl, and thrum. Drums sound tight. Vocals are brought forward. I've think I've found the 3 headphones that I want in the TH900, PS500, and HD58X. I think I could be ok with just the Grado and Fostex, but it doesn't seem right not to have a member of the HD600 family.

I'd like to be done with headphones, and try out a DAC a little higher on the food chain than the Modi MB to see if I really can tell any difference.

I find that "bass light" is a relative feeling. My two favourite headphones are Grado GH2's and Beyer T5p.2's. Both sound awesome to me.

But if I put on my Meze 99's, I feel like Oh Yeah!, there's the bass. The 99's are fun and I enjoy them. I am also very curious about the CFA Cascades.

But, on a daily basis my GH2's are always plugged in and I fall back to the Beyers T5p.2's for closed back listening.

Shane D

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #39,411 of 65,621
I find that "bass light" is a relative feeling. My two favourite headphones are Grado GH2's and Beyer T5p.2's. Both sound awesome to me.

But if I put on my Meze 99's, I feel like Oh Yeah!, there's the bass. The 99's are fun and I enjoy them. I am also very curious about the CFA Cascades.

But, on a daily basis my GH2's are always plugged in and I fall back to the Beyers T5p.2's for closed back listening.

Shane D
FWIW: when I need bass, I listen to my B&W P9, they also have a very nice treble. And once in while the HD600 will do the trick. But as you point out my go to phones are the GH2, closely followed by GS2KE :beyersmile:

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #39,412 of 65,621
FWIW: when I need bass, I listen to my B&W P9, they also have a very nice treble. And once in while the HD600 will do the trick. But as you point out my go to phones are the GH2, closely followed by GS2KE :beyersmile:

I love the bass when I hear it. But I don't miss it when it's not there. Of course I don't do hip hop, EDM or anything else that needs pounding bass.

Shane D

Mar 29, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #39,413 of 65,621
Got a brand new GH2 (here in Australia we still have new GH1 and GH2 available in stores!), and I can't believe my ears, a Grado that has bass. Not a heap of sub bass, but the bass that it does have is plenty enough for even electronic music imo, it actually slams the midbass more so than a bunch of headphones from other makers. The last Grado I had was a RS1 (old model before the "i" series), always regretted selling it, but the reality was that the highs would get fatiguing quickly, also didn't have anywhere enough bass to be versatile, but had an absolutely magic midrange. This GH2 fixes all those problems, although the mids maybe not on the level of that old RS1, they are still among the most musical you will find in a headphone. Actually liking the GH2 so much that I've also ordered a GH1, even though I've heard that the GH2 is superior, I think I will also enjoy the GH1 on occasion when I want more of that Grado energy in the mids and treble. Not sold on the GH4 yet, waiting for comparisons, just concerned it won't be worth owning when you have a GH2 and GH1.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #39,415 of 65,621
" a Grado that has bass". I totally agree. After getting a used GH 2 and becoming enthralled with the bass and the musical presentation, I decided to try out the entire GH Heritage series. The GH 1,2 and 4 are almost identical in all areas to my ears. imo they have the very same drivers, but the different woods alter their sounds just a bit.

The GH 3 has excellent bass as well and may be the best can that you can buy at that price point.

Which ever Heritage/GH headphone that you go with, they will rock your world.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #39,416 of 65,621
Here is a picture of my "litter" of Heritage series headphones in their cushions of choice. All keepers. The GH 1 and 2 have the Beautiful Audio cable adapter kit installed. The GH 4 will get it soon. Shipibo rod blocks and Beautiful Audio cushions and head bands.
2019_0329_112717_001.jpg

Attachments

• 2019_0329_112717_001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #39,417 of 65,621
The 1/4 inch connector of my PS2000e failed, that's the second failure in the PS2000e, one would expect better quality given that my SR325is never failed after years of use. Anyway, I decided to try to fix them instead of sending them back for warranty. I remember looking for an image of the 12 conductor cable some time ago and couldn't find one, so here it's an image of the 12 conductor cable.

IMG_1882.jpeg

The cable itself is very soft, and also the insulation of each one of the conductor is very soft, there's nothing other than the cable, other cables have a nylon or Kevlar thread to give it more resistance. The conductor looks like pure copper and it's very flexible. The overall rigidity of the cable seems to be only because there are 12 conductors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back