Grado Fan Club!
Apr 1, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #39,436 of 65,639
I have a general question:
Does a grado (GH2, SR325e) actually need a headphone amplifier? Can I get a better sound out of it? Or should you omit it?

I took a look around and found some cheap used amplifiers:

- Graham Slee Voyager
- Leckerton UHA-4
- Lake People G103
- Meier-Audio Corda Arietta
- Musical Fidelity V-Can 1 or 2
- cMoy

But I do not know if that must be and whether the devices mentioned harmonize with my Grados.
I do not want to pay too much money. Well, the very expensive (and probably better) but I can not or will not afford.
The headphone amplifier should be mainly for the HIF system, but may also be for the iPhone.
In addition to the two Grados I own an Audioquest NightOwl, ...

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #39,437 of 65,639
Does a grado (GH2, SR325e) actually need a headphone amplifier? Can I get a better sound out of it? Or should you omit it?

- Graham Slee Voyager
- Leckerton UHA-4
- Lake People G103
- cMoy

But I do not know if that must be and whether the devices mentioned harmonize with my Grados.
I do not want to pay too much money. Well, the very expensive (and probably better) but I can not or will not afford.
The headphone amplifier should be mainly for the HIF system, but may also be for the iPhone.

I don't think they actually "need" an amp. However, as I mentioned earlier, my Burson amp really brought my GH2's to life.

However you could try them solo for a while to see how you like them. Hopefully, you could look around and try some different amps out. Mine cost me about $199.00 in US funds, which I didn't think was horrible. You can take your time, look for sales and keep an eye out for used.

Shane D

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #39,438 of 65,639
The problem with Grados is that they are very finicky when it comes to amp pairing. Low impedance and high sensitivity means you'll hear an audible background hiss coming out of many amps. So you need an amp that can handle IEM-like sensitivity, but have enough current to actually increase the volume to a decent level. I've had to activate IEMatch on my iFi iDSD Black Label to eliminate the hiss from my GS2000e. This makes the amp quieter, so then I have to change the amp power from eco to normal in order to compensate. I also have a NuForce HDP but no longer use it due to the hissing.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #39,441 of 65,639
20190401_215404.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone camera quality, but I got it! Will post an in-depth review in a week or so. Lovin' it so far.

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #39,445 of 65,639
@BobG55
Beautiful condition.
Are these new to you?

Sorry Joseph, I should have specified. I don't own those, they're presently for sale on eBay.com. I copy/ pasted the link at the bottom of the photograph. It's the best condition HP1 I've ever seen myself, as you mentioned & the main reason why I posted this.

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #39,446 of 65,639
Sorry Joseph, I should have specified. I don't own those, they're presently for sale on eBay.com. I copy/ pasted the link at the bottom of the photograph. It's the best condition HP1 I've ever seen myself, as you mentioned & the main reason why I posted this.
Ahh, you should've just told me it was for April fools!

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #39,448 of 65,639

- Graham Slee Voyager
- Leckerton UHA-4
- Lake People G103
- cMoy

I'd just listen to them without an amp and hopefully you might get a chance to listen to them on another system that has an amp and then you can make your own decision. For me I'm happy with my SR225e, RS2e and SR60 without amps but since mine are all modded (dynamat, vent, ear pads, felt, sorbothane) and my hearing and yours along with what genres we prefer may or may not be different so its really hard for anyone to say if you will need an amp or not. FWIW I do use my Grado's on a UD301, Ember, Lyr2, Teac AH-01 and Asgard2 at times but I'm happy with them from the headphone jacks of my various computers, laptops, DAPs and even phones.
I'd have to say that my Grado's do sound slightly different with different amps but to me its just different, not better or worse, its like drinking various wines, different but not better or worse most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back