Grado Fan Club!
Jan 10, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #38,971 of 65,787
I liked the 225e but didn't love it. The 325e was way, way too bright for my ear and I had to get rid of them quickly. Had the opportunity of demoing the Heritage GH3 while I was in NYC and I'm very intrigued. It's the warmest Grado I've heard but still has the Grado sound. Wish there was a place near me I could go and demo it in a quieter place.

there is the alessandro music series instead if grado were too bright for you, same sound but with bit rolled off highs..unfortunately not sure if available for testing.
https://www.munkonggadget.com/product/หูฟัง-Alessandro01002007_148.html

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #38,972 of 65,787
Just out of curiosity what do you think physically "burns in"?

Shane D

In my experience, burn-in affects both the driver and the cable. One major example of driver burn-in as the Audioquest Nighthawks. With prior Grados, I heard the treble and bass become more neutral. On the Audeze cans, the diaphragm seems to break-in over time.

Jan 10, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #38,973 of 65,787
In my experience, burn-in affects both the driver and the cable. One major example of driver burn-in as the Audioquest Nighthawks. With prior Grados, I heard the treble and bass become more neutral. On the Audeze cans, the diaphragm seems to break-in over time.

I had the SR325e's and thought were very "noisy" at first (bright). After a six month battle against several other pairs they became my favourites. I don't think they changed, I did. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I LOVE my GH2's, but when I don't wear them for a few weeks and put them back on they sound "wrong". After a few songs they sound awesome and after a few hours I think that they are all I will ever need. And then I reach for my Beyer/HiFiman/Meze and the cycle starts again.

I am not saying that there are NO physical changes as headphones age, but I don't think sound signatures change much, if any.

Now having said all that, my HiFiman HE4XX's made some really weird "screeching" noises in the first few days that they have not made since. Burn in?:darthsmile:
I have no idea.

Shane D

Jan 10, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #38,974 of 65,787
I had the SR325e's and thought were very "noisy" at first (bright). After a six month battle against several other pairs they became my favourites. I don't think they changed, I did. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I LOVE my GH2's, but when I don't wear them for a few weeks and put them back on they sound "wrong". After a few songs they sound awesome and after a few hours I think that they are all I will ever need. And then I reach for my Beyer/HiFiman/Meze and the cycle starts again.

I am not saying that there are NO physical changes as headphones age, but I don't think sound signatures change much, if any.

Now having said all that, my HiFiman HE4XX's made some really weird "screeching" noises in the first few days that they have not made since. Burn in?:darthsmile:
I have no idea.

Shane D

I think what you are hinting at is the psychological effect which is real but there is also genuine burn-in as well.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #38,976 of 65,787
Got a pair of SR325e but been meaning to try it with G-cushion to hopefully get a warmer sound.
The G cushions aren't going to get you a warmer sound.
TTVJ (Todd The Vinyl Junkie) flat pads will add some bass, give a slightly fuller sound to the
mid-range while giving a more relaxed sound to the upper frequencies.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #38,982 of 65,787
Can anyone comment on the G-Cushion from eBay? As cheap as $4 a pair.
What I know is that the Grado pads are not as simple as they look, they are composed of 3 different layers of foam. Most of the cheap ones are made from a single type of foam. As you may expect the material affects the properties, and the material is going to be different depending on the brand, so unless someone else bought the exact same pads it’s going to be hard to predict the results.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #38,983 of 65,787
Is there any love out there for the GH 2s? I haven't seen many posts and the cocobolo wood and what little I can find to read about them sounds interesting.

I LOVE my GH2's and will probably never sell them. I am currently on a long run with two new sets of 'phones (HiFiman and Beyerdynamic), but this month or next month they will slide back into the rotation. To me, they are a smoother SR325e, which I really liked.

Shane D

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #38,984 of 65,787
Can anyone comment on the G-Cushion from eBay? As cheap as $4 a pair.

I bought two different pairs from Amazon.ca. Didn't wow me. They cost me about $15.00 each, in Canada.
I will probably try them again down the road. I was hoping they would get my attention and get me thinking about buying the real G-Cush pads. Not there yet.

Shane D

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #38,985 of 65,787
I bought two different pairs from Amazon.ca. Didn't wow me. They cost me about $15.00 each, in Canada.
I will probably try them again down the road. I was hoping they would get my attention and get me thinking about buying the real G-Cush pads. Not there yet.

Shane D
Thats about $12 a pair in US. A bit more than the listing i was looking at.

Is it the sound, comfort or material you didn’t like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back