Grado Fan Club!
Jan 28, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #37,381 of 65,639
Jan 28, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #37,382 of 65,639
@Vy7478 , I had a PS500 and it wasn't something that I cared for since it was a little lite on the bass and harsh in the treble while the PS500e was more to my liking but the weight of the cups for the design is not great and to me the metal cups make the highs a bit sharp and sibilant at times. I also think anything pass the RS2e is over priced with all the alternatives out there. FWIW I'm not a Grado purist and will usually mod them to tune them to my liking which included changing ear pads, adding dynamat and or sorbothane, removable cables (I hate the stock Grado cables-too heavy and either too long or too short at times), and opening additional vent holes.

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #37,383 of 65,639
Thanks, I've heard good things about both. Both are apparently a little more intimate with more bass? Would anyone be kind enough to elaborate?
I've owned the RS1, PS500, and GH2.

A general impression of each of them in relation to eachother:

RS1 is the most mid - treble forward of the three, the brightest, the most energy. Most perceived detail, but also can be fatiguing.
GH2 is the most neutral, great all rounder. Great texture/resolution throughout the spectrum. Best quality bass.
PS500 has the most bass quantity, but the worst bass quality. Treble/mids lack energy or emotion compared to the other two.

Obviously these are just my opinions. I love the GH2 and the RS1, with a preference to the GH2. I owned the PS500 last, and probably would enjoy it a lot more if I didn't have the other two first. The PS500 for me is very unsatisfying.

YMMV

Jan 28, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #37,384 of 65,639
I recently purchased a GS1000e with a brown headband. It has protruding/non-flush drivers.

Did Grado ultimately change to flush mount for the GS1000e?

If so, will the factory retrofit the drivers for a fee?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #37,385 of 65,639
there's still no mention about this in grado blog. but from the price alone it's probably close to gs1000e in term of performance, grado has been done this one-off thing a few times, sometimes they really are special items, most of the time it just a re-badge of their current products, little bit different look,new engrave but they just using same drivers (same tuning i assumed ) so nothing special except of the look of the headphone itself. however if the club not just ordered the headphone from grado but commissioned them to built this headphone to their specification or just go wild try some new things since it's also for an audio enthusiast, and i think this is more likely consider grado have their reputation on the table, then i think it could be something special. like hf-1,hf-2,ps1,bushmill,thailand rs1,stuff like that at least worthy of collector items

Wonderful of Grado, and wonderful opportunity for audio scientists!

Given the audience, you might ask whether they will be available in balanced (as opposed to single ended) form. Going to balanced made a significant improvement on my already-great GS2000e’s.

Hi ruhenheiM and ruthieandjohn,

And *Thank You* so much for each of your replies. I hadn't responded right away, because I didn't really have anything further to add, and I didn't want to bother anybody with pointless speculation.

Anyway, I have since learned a lot more about these special edition headphones, being produced by John Grado himself for the LA&OC Audio Society, and I'd like to relay some of that information to Head-Fi members now.

For a notice concerning how to order these 25th anniversary headphones, on the LA&OC Audio Society Facebook page, see the link:

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1800707869974142&id=205439302834348

**Edit**: The correct working (or better) link is the following:

https://www.facebook.com/laocas/posts/1760391400672456

(Thank You, ruhenheiM, for the correction!!)

I was able to audition the prototype of these phones at a recent LA&OC Audio Society meeting, and was duly impressed with their overall sonics. What you have here are a pair of Grado headphones that feature the Grado GS2000e drivers mounted in an enclosure of pure California Striped Oak (no Maple wood insert here), with the GS2000e drivers being wired in the manner of those found on the PS2000e drivers. (Basically, this means that an extra wire, normally left disconnected, is re-connected to each of the GS2000e drivers. I don't really have any more detail than this, so I can't really give anybody anything more.) The upshot of all this is that you have a pair of headphones that exhibit some of the qualities of each of the headphones in the entire GS1000, GS2000, and PS2000 line; i.e., there is some of the dynamism of the GS1000, that is combined with some of the refinements that are offered by both the GS2000 and PS2000 series of headphones!

Some of you might be wondering, "Why would John Grado want to do all this on behalf of the LA&OC Audio Society?" Well, one very good reason is the fact that John Grado was recently honored (i.e., on December 3rd, 2017) by the LA&OC Audio Society with the society's "Founder's Award"; the Society's highest honor. See the link:

http://www.laocas.com/gala.html

Photos from the LA&OC Audio Society 2017 gala can be found here:

http://www.laocas.com/Photos1217.html

Indeed, John Grado talks about his nomination to receive the LA&OC Audio Society 2017 "Founder's Award" in this Grado Labs blog entry from February of 2017:

http://blog.gradolabs.com/john-grado-receive-founders-award/

So it makes absolutely perfect sense that John Grado wanted to do something special for the LA&OC Audio Society members by producing these rather extrodinary set of headphones.

So what is the LA&OC Audio Society? Well, it consists of over 2,400 members, making it one of the largest (if not THE largest) audio society in the world. It is also the host, sponcer, and organizer, of the recently launched "Los Angeles Audio Show", that had its inaugural launch this past June. To see a video of the launching of the LAAS, see this video from Micheal Fremer's YouTube channel:

The man that is found speaking at the beginning of the video is Bob Levi, the President, and CEO, of the LA&OC Audio Society. Others on hand are John Atkinson (of Stereophile), Rob Harley (of The Absolute Sound), David Robinson (of Positive Feedback), and Michael Fremer (of both Stereophile, and Analog Planet). So you can see, the LA&OC Audio Society is comprised of some of the most illustrious and accomplished individuals associated with high-end audio.

It should be pointed out that these LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Grado headphones are available to not just society members, but to the general public as well. It should also be pointed out that the LA&OC Audio Society doesn't make a single dime on their purchase or distribution. These headphones are being offered to both audio society members, and non members, as a "Thank You" gift from John Grado himself.

I would like to upload some photos that I captured of these headphones at a recent LA&OC Audio Socetiy gathering, but I seem to be having trouble with the upload at this time. So I'll upload the photos that I have ASAP.

-Nick

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #37,386 of 65,639
@Nickelodeon
thanks for your detail information about those grado! it's turned out not too shabby, at least if the estimate price is correct, around one grand if i'm not mistaken, that would be very interesting headphone. i couldn't open those facebook page though. the page isn't available

yes i read that one about john grado received founder award,i wasn't realize it was from LA&OC Audio Society. it's make sense now with the special edition grado

that's very interesting people in that group haha, john grado wouldn't want to messed up with this special edition :D

btw Bob Levi, that name seems familiar, i wasn't be able to figure out where i i was encountered that name and then i remembered maybe from positive feedback but the name was Robert H. Levi, maybe i'm mistaken with someone else

when you have a chance, please share the photo of that beauty, i'm looking forward for it. thank you

Jan 28, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #37,387 of 65,639
Thanks also... I too could not open the link to the anniversary headphones. Certainly interested, though... thanks for posting! Does the fact that the speaker in the picture near #50, as well as Bob Levi in Picture #102 (or so) both wear Grado PS2000e headphones make Grado the Official Headphone of the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society??

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #37,389 of 65,639
I take it I would have to be a LAOCAS member to order a pair of those?

Edit: or I could learn to read...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #37,390 of 65,639
I take it I would have to be a LAOCAS member to order a pair of those?
Not too sure? The post says;

"It should be pointed out that these LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Grado headphones are available to not just society members, but to the general public as well."

I also don't see them on the Grado site, nor did I receive an e-mail about their release.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #37,391 of 65,639
ah i think this is the page, i only could find this one

SILVER ANNIVERSARY CUSTOM COMMEMORATIVE ITEMS ANNOUNCED!
Dear Members and Friends,
Your Society Board has commissioned some very cool high end toys and LPs specially created in very limited editions in honor of our 25th Anniversary in 2018.

We have announced the Yuko Mabuchi Trio LP set in production, a gorgeous commemorative gold and enamel pin in production, and now two more incredible items you may actually order now through January 31!

From Grado Labs and designed by John Grado:

Commemorative 25th Anniversary LA&OC Audio Society Headphones with both all wood ends engraved for the occasion. Plus, the headphones feature wood grown and indigenous to California: striped oak. John Grado took a year finding the right state wood and creating the headphones. They feature the top drivers, wiring, and oversized ear pads of the GS2000e, black leather, 3.5mm adapter and Grado extension cable. They are efficient, super, super comfortable, extraordinarily lightweight, and are only surpassed by cans costing over $2000, in my expert opinion and all others who have heard the prototype. Fantastic!!!
Our Society cost is $995, no shipping cost and no tax.
Not sold by any dealers!!! Only Sold directly by Grado and they ship directly to you. On January 31, I will turn in the orders to Grado and they will produce the Society Headphones. To quote Dr. David Robinson, Editor of PF, after hearing the prototype, I have to have a pair! Styled after these, but with black leather headband and striped oak and engraved wood ends: http://www.4ourears.net/gs2000e_p/4e-gs2000e.htm

Kubala-Sosna LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Headphone Extension Cable
Kubala-Sosna is proud to introduce a custom-made, limited production 25th Anniversary Headphone Extension Cable for the world’s largest audio society – Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society. Ends and shrink-wrap engraved with the occasion.

Utilizing our patented OptimiZ/ RevolutionZ architecture, this Fascination-level cable exhibits an extremely low impedance that makes it easy to drive. The 3.0m cable is terminated with ¼” TRS(M) at the source end, and ¼” TRS(F) at the headphone end. A 3.5mm-¼” male adapter is also provided. This unique limited edition cable should prove to be a welcome addition to any high-end headphone system and will be perfect, perfect, perfect with the new Grado Society Edition Headphones. Joe Kubala and Kubala-Sosna have developed a treasure for our membership that loves headphones. Our Society cost is $600 for the cable and high grade 3.5mm adapter. There may be tax and shipping charged on this cable as we will use a dealer in California.

HOW TO GET YOUR COMMEMORATIVE CUSTOM GRADO HEADPHONES AND KUBALA-SOSNA HEADPHONE EXTENSION CABLE!

Email me at boblevi.laocas@gmail.com with your name, email address, full shipping address, credit card name/number/card security number, expiration date, and your order request for the item or items you want. Yes, you may order more than one of either item right now. Only credit cards accepted for payment. Send me card info in two emails for added security if you wish.

I will turn in the list for the Custom Headphones to Grado and the list for the Custom Headphone Ext. Cable to the Kubala-Sosna Dealer on January 31. No promises on extending this offer so you should do it now. What great audiophile Christmas presents to give yourself!!

I will bring both the new Grado Society Headphones and the new custom K-S Headphone Cable to the Manley Labs Event on January 14 for you to audition, but January 31 remains the deadline! Members and non-members may take advantage of this offer.

Coming Sunday, January 14th, 1-4 PM: The Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society, the first Society Event of our Silver Anniversary Year, is at Manley Laboratories, Inc., in conjunction with the San Diego Music and Audio Society, our first joint Societies event ever.
13880 Magnolia Ave. Chino, CA. 91710

Do not miss this Manley Event and do not miss out on these custom audiophile treasures honoring all of us! I understand from Grado that nearly 50 Grado headphone collectors want our headphones, too! Please Email me today.

holy crap! 31 january is the deadline
price: $995
how to order:
Email at boblevi.laocas@gmail.com with your name, email address, full shipping address, credit card name/number/card security number, expiration date, and your order request for the item or items you want. Yes, you may order more than one of either item right now. Only credit cards accepted for payment. Send me card info in two emails for added security if you wish.I will turn in the list for the Custom Headphones to Grado and the list for the Custom Headphone Ext. Cable to the Kubala-Sosna Dealer on January 31

act fast bitches! :D

Btw from the description it seems like it is GS2000e with different appearance and just using single wood which is oak but priced at GS1000e

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #37,392 of 65,639
ah i think this is the page, i only could find this one

holy crap! 31 january is the deadline
price: $995
how to order:
Email at boblevi.laocas@gmail.com with your name, email address, full shipping address, credit card name/number/card security number, expiration date, and your order request for the item or items you want. Yes, you may order more than one of either item right now. Only credit cards accepted for payment. Send me card info in two emails for added security if you wish.I will turn in the list for the Custom Headphones to Grado and the list for the Custom Headphone Ext. Cable to the Kubala-Sosna Dealer on January 31

act fast bitches! :D

Btw from the description it seems like it is GS2000e with different appearance and just using single wood which is oak but priced at GS1000e

It's very tempting to order one with the balanced option...

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #37,393 of 65,639
Well, it looks like Head-Fi has finally recovered from whatever problem that seemed to be plaguing its server earlier on in the evening (US west coast time, and probably related to the reason why I couldn't upload any photos earlier on in the day as well), so now I can finally post the photos that I had just recently taken of these beautiful LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Grado headphones. So without further ado:

20180121_154451.jpg

20180121_201226.jpg

20180123_190740.jpg

20180121_154545.jpg

20180120_170620.jpg

Pretty awesome (and unique) looking if I do say so myself!!

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #37,394 of 65,639
I don’t have $995 (as great a deal as it seems to be) but emailing credit card is a no-no, anyway. :O. I’m surprised they don’t take PayPal..??

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #37,395 of 65,639
I don’t have $995 (as great a deal as it seems to be) but emailing credit card is a no-no, anyway. :O. I’m surprised they don’t take PayPal..??

I have to agree. Kinda scary. I wonder if it's a Grado thing though. When I sent my GH1 in to Grado to have the cable fixed, it was a similar story. Send a check or write down my credit card info and mail it on a piece of paper with the headphones. Wild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back