Grado Fan Club!
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #37,156 of 65,616
I have more regular listening time the 40 minutes per day that I walk the dogs than any other time. If I didn’t listen then, I wouldn’t need headphones. I don’t use them in the rain and I have not had any mishaps with them. I have, however, been mistaken for Princess Leia at times and occasionally been accosted by lustful Wookiees!

OMG :laughing::laughing::laughing: ... nice.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #37,157 of 65,616
Hello Grado fans. I have noted that some of my L original Grado pads quality is really, but really bad. II is crumbling and my ears are full of foam. I can not understand why some are fine and others shows really low quality. I tried to wash them but it did not work. Any of you have had a similar experience like me. Thanks.

Most of my Grado L-pads start to fall apart after 2 years and washing them once every few months seems to help them last a little longer.

I've had multiple grado original pads fall apart after a few years. Unfortunately I've yet to find 3rd party pads that will make it more comfortable or sound better. Maybe other people have better answers.

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #37,159 of 65,616
I've become somewhat of a Grado fan myself and joined the club recently when I got my PS500e's. Terrific headphones and I really love them. I tried the 325's before but I felt these were a little better. I wonder though if it's worth $50 trying the G cushion pads. I read they improve soundstage, but does it change anything else? Like less low ends perhaps?

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #37,160 of 65,616
I've become somewhat of a Grado fan myself and joined the club recently when I got my PS500e's. Terrific headphones and I really love them. I tried the 325's before but I felt these were a little better. I wonder though if it's worth $50 trying the G cushion pads. I read they improve soundstage, but does it change anything else? Like less low ends perhaps?
The Grado G-pad will decrease the bass of the PS500e a little but they do improve the soundstage from what I've found. You might want to try the cheap generic G-pads from ebay ($5-6) but you should order from a few different places since the QC is not the best but to me they are softer, improve the soundstage and tend to boost the bass a little.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #37,161 of 65,616
The Grado G-pad will decrease the bass of the PS500e a little but they do improve the soundstage from what I've found. You might want to try the cheap generic G-pads from ebay ($5-6) but you should order from a few different places since the QC is not the best but to me they are softer, improve the soundstage and tend to boost the bass a little.

I use these Earzonk G-pads that are $20 on Amazon on my Alessandro MS2 sometimes, they are a pretty good quality generic, although I admit I've never had the genuine Grado G pads to compare. It does seem to decrease the bass just a little to my ears on the MS2, although not enough to bother me, and I didn't get them for sound shaping so much as for comfort as I used to find the L-pads to be quite uncomfortable, but I've honestly become accustomed to them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BW4RWH2/

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #37,162 of 65,616

I prefer the G-Cush pads on every Grado headphone so far except the PS500 unfortunately. The PS500 are naturally less forward than the rest of them, and from my experience the G-Cush pushes this a little too far and makes the music sounds unnaturally recessed. I'd still recommend you own a pair as they're much more comfortable, and still excel in certain genres/applications.

I've had the authentic G-Cush as well as a couple of generics, what I can say is that the difference is not negligible. The authentics are much better in both comfort and sound.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #37,163 of 65,616
I prefer the G-Cush pads on every Grado headphone so far except the PS500 unfortunately. The PS500 are naturally less forward than the rest of them, and from my experience the G-Cush pushes this a little too far and makes the music sounds unnaturally recessed. I'd still recommend you own a pair as they're much more comfortable, and still excel in certain genres/applications.

I've had the authentic G-Cush as well as a couple of generics, what I can say is that the difference is not negligible. The generics are much better in both comfort and sound.

I think the L-cush are comfortable. I have no issues with them. The headband though makes my head hurt, but I don't really care, I can endure a little pain for the fine sound they bring my ears. I must try the G-cush though, glad you mentioned the generic ones were better. Saves me some $$

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #37,164 of 65,616
I think the L-cush are comfortable. I have no issues with them. The headband though makes my head hurt, but I don't really care, I can endure a little pain for the fine sound they bring my ears. I must try the G-cush though, glad you mentioned the generic ones were better. Saves me some $$

That's because I'm an idiot and mistyped on my phone, the authentic ones are much better. Sorry for the buzzkill!

Basically it boils down to this, the authentic version is made of two different types of foam, a softer foam toward the center near the driver, and the authentic version brings your ear physically closer to the driver, where as the generics that I've tried seem to have something like a 1/8" - 1/4" gap between your ear and the driver.

What I will say is that I haven't tried all of the generics, only the prominant ones - Like earzonk.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #37,166 of 65,616
Here is my comparison of the PS500 (not the -e) with the L bowls vs. the G Cush (Grado genuine). Higher numbers are better:

7368033.png

Evidently, the G cush (middle column) decreases bass and transparency but increases various measures of treble detail (last three lines).

By the way, I LOVE your avatar. That Grado lady is wearing the PS500 (non e) headphones that were the first model of Grado that I bought. I have since bought at least 30 more pairs!

I also used her in my own product announcement, soon to take head-fi.org by storm:

AHA headfi.png

Jan 6, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #37,167 of 65,616
for the past month i've been neglected my ps1000e. i was exclusively listening music through my toshiba hr-810 since i changed the ear pads also i just want some break from ps1000e and since headphones i bought haven't arrive yet, i might just give a run for the toshiba, it was very different experience. it just difference, to be honest i really like it and i don't even have a slight miss of ps1000e and today i try ps1000e for the first time, this headphone still put a smile on my face,what a joy, music should sound like this

happy weekend guys! happy listening!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #37,168 of 65,616
Here is my comparison of the PS500 (not the -e) with the L bowls vs. the G Cush (Grado genuine). Higher numbers are better:

Evidently, the G cush (middle column) decreases bass and transparency but increases various measures of treble detail (last three lines).

By the way, I LOVE your avatar. That Grado lady is wearing the PS500 (non e) headphones that were the first model of Grado that I bought. I have since bought at least 30 more pairs!

I also used her in my own product announcement, soon to take head-fi.org by storm:

Haha, the AHA lady is even nicer but I wonder where her nose is :) Thank you for the comparison. I should ge

7368033.png

Haha the AHA lady is even nicer, but I wonder where her nose is. I've got to get the G-cush, just to try them out :)

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #37,169 of 65,616
The PS500 seems to perform overall equally, but with different strengths and weaknesses, with the G Cush as compared to the L bowls.

The GH1, on the other hand, actually improves in overall sound in moving to the G Cush from its stock L bowls.

How about the GH2? Does anyone know whether it improves, stays the same, or degrades (as about all other L bowl Grados do) when fitted with the G Cush?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #37,170 of 65,616
I was browsing the F/S forums and noticed there were 2 ads that show 'lock' icons not to them. When I went to view these ads, it says;
(You have isssuficient privileges to reply here.) One of the ads is for the GH2 from @Uri Cohen. I don't believe I'm being blocked by you, am I? I've recently quoted one of your posts with a reply from you as well without issue. Is it just me that see the lock on this ad?Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, both ads are sold, which is why they're locked, I just never noticed this before. Maybe something new.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back