Grado Fan Club!
Apr 5, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #35,116 of 65,629
like a year ago.some local audio shop in my town offered me dolce gabbanna edition.they asking price was 1500usd if i remember it correctly. i know about that headphone before but i wasn't aware about the price.so when i got the offer i was like.really that high. what's the difference from gs1000i then.he told me, sonic wise not different at least to his ears but he did mention about the box for the headphone really great though.so basically he told me you just paid for the label.and then i ask him did anyone actually has buy it.he said no one even care to try it.but the headphone was in another town or country something like that. so i'm not even bother to ask for a demo. for $1500. no thanks  

i'm just saying if you want to buy it just make sure you like the sound because you really had a good chance you'll ended up getting gs1000i sounds just different apperance and price tag. and if you think to keep it as collection.that's good.but sell it with hope that the price going to be up.just think for a moment.how much do you think it's going to go up.like i said. if it's hit 2000 price bracket. i'm not sure people would actually care for it unless they are hardcore collector. in that price, it will get you very mint hp1000, ps1, or might even the freesystem. so your market pretty much small i guess

I think I'll take the next day to think about it as I'm in Italy for two more days. And the good thing about having the wm1z as my music player is it's portable and I can do an audition in the store first. Thanks for all the info and help

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #35,117 of 65,629
  it wasn't mine. it was my friend.i listen to his system. he had it for about 4 years.and that's the only headphone in his possesion.so i think it's already full break in. the system was cec transport-lavryda11-beta22 balance connection to grado gs1000i.i mainly listen to rock and metal.the sound really weird. treble way to upfront and mid little bit behind. and i did try some female vocal and jazz. jazz really great. female vocal, for me its just too dry i guess.very airy but its dry.but he likes it though before he eventually bought hd800. i listened for about three hours in his system in very quiet environment too. don't get me wrong in few minutes after 4-5 songs.i'll start to adapt and accept the sound.but still at some moment,some song when you start turning up the volume. i'll remember those V sound again. so when people talk gs1000i best heard in low volume level they didn't joking. it's sound super great.but for the music i listen to, it's just not right

but i have to admit that's one the most comfortable headphone out there.super light and g cushion just make it perfect

I do listen  at low volumes. For the types of music you like probably the PS500e, GH series or PS2000e would be best.

Maybe even the RS325e with a bit of eq to subdue the highs a bit/improve the tonal balance....

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #35,119 of 65,629
Yes you may be right. It's a hard decision for me.

I also think it's possible I can talk down the price to $1600US.

In my opinion, the D&G are rebadged left over first gen GS1000. The reason I say this is because they have the 4 conductors cable, the i series had 8 and the e has 12 conductors.

I used to own a pair of first gen GS1000, and when I bought my PS1000, I pretty much stopped using them, and ended up selling them to a guy in Japan. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #35,120 of 65,629

In my opinion, the D&G are rebadged left over first gen GS1000. The reason I say this is because they have the 4 conductors cable, the i series had 8 and the e has 12 conductors.

I used to own a pair of first gen GS1000, and when I bought my PS1000, I pretty much stopped using them, and ended up selling them to a guy in Japan. 

I've been in love with the GS1000i ever since I auditioned a set at a meet, a few years ago. The sound stage, the detail and the mids really worked for me with rock and metal. I don't have a pair, but I the GS-1000e is in the queue, so to speak.

I've tried the PS-1000 and I just can't get over the weight and discomfort (for ME, that is).

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #35,121 of 65,629

I sent Grado an email a little bit ago and they said the drivers are the gs1000i with different wood and rebadged to dolce and Gabbana. I doubt the wood makes a difference at all really in the sound. I'm gonna audition tomorrow on the store. I owned the gs1000e but did not like them at all personally. Especially when compared to my RS2e now.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #35,122 of 65,629

I've been in love with the GS1000i ever since I auditioned a set at a meet, a few years ago. The sound stage, the detail and the mids really worked for me with rock and metal. I don't have a pair, but I the GS-1000e is in the queue, so to speak.

I've tried the PS-1000 and I just can't get over the weight and discomfort (for ME, that is).

I've never heard the GS1000e, but I have heard the, GS1000i, and I remember preferring every aspect of their sound, exept the soundstage, wich was slightly bigger on the first gen GS1000.

Regarding the PS1000's weight, I agree, I have a smallish head, so they tend to slip backward whenever I tilt my head back.

With all that alloy, it's easy to forget tha the PS1000 is actually part of the wooden Grado crew. I better stop talking about the PS1000, otherwise, I might end up taking Joseph's advise.

I sent Grado an email a little bit ago and they said the drivers are the gs1000i with different wood and rebadged to dolce and Gabbana. I doubt the wood makes a difference at all really in the sound. I'm gonna audition tomorrow on the store. I owned the gs1000e but did not like them at all personally. Especially when compared to my RS2e now.

If that's the case, I don't understand why Grado went with the 4 conductors cable instead of the GS1000i's 8 conductors.

To each is own, but in my opinion a special edition should be more than a rebaged, that's why I bought my Buishmills, and GH-1. I would also include my HP1000, but to be honest, I didn't even knew what they were when I bought them, I just knew that they're sound quality was easily worth the $350 asking price.    

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #35,123 of 65,629

I've never heard the GS1000e, but I have heard the, GS1000i, and I remember preferring every aspect of their sound, exept the soundstage, wich was slightly bigger on the first gen GS1000. 

Regarding the PS1000's weight, I agree, I have a smallish head, so they tend to slip backward whenever I tilt my head back.

With all that alloy, it's easy to forget tha the PS1000 is actually part of the wooden Grado crew. I better stop talking about the PS1000, otherwise, I might end up taking Joseph's advise.

If that's the case, I don't understand why Grado went with the 4 conductors cable instead of the GS1000i's 8 conductors.

To each is own, but in my opinion a special edition should be more than a rebaged, that's why I bought my Buishmills, and GH-1. I would also include my HP1000, but to be honest, I didn't even knew what they were when I bought them, I just knew that they're sound quality was easily worth the $350 asking price.   

i've heard both, not side by side, if i had a top 5, they'd both be in there
if i was gonna spend a grand on a headphone right now, one of those two might just be it

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #35,124 of 65,629
  i've heard both, not side by side, if i had a top 5, they'd both be in there
if i was gonna spend a grand on a headphone right now, one of those two might just be it

You mean top 5 Grado based on sound quality, and price no object right?

My top 5 Grados based on sound quality would go like this.

Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! (drum roll)

1- PS1000
2- HP1000
3- GH-1/G
4- GS1000i
5- RS1 (button classic)

My top 5 Grados considering bang for the buck,

Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

1- Bushmills/L
2- SR-80e/L
3- GH-1
4- RS-2e
5- SR225

Of course this list is based on Grados that I own, or that I had a chance to listen to.
4-

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #35,125 of 65,629
Top five headphones, the gs1000 does it for me, just love it, I'll be getting another somewhere down the road

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #35,126 of 65,629
Top five headphones, the gs1000 does it for me, just love it, I'll be getting another somewhere down the road

FWIW, here are my top 5 John Grado headphones:

PS1000e
GH-1
RS1 button or RS1i
GS2000e
SR225/225i

Still need to hear the GH-2.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #35,127 of 65,629
Love the rs1i myself, to me it just screams "grado"

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #35,129 of 65,629

The RS1 classic were the first Grados that I've heard, but the GS1000 were the first Grados tha I've owned.

When John informed me that LPGears still had two n.o.s. buttoned RS1 in their inventory, I could've kissed him.

This is like having the chance to go out with your first girlfriend again, and she looks a beautiful has she did all those years ago.

Whenever I feel like listening to Patricia Barber's live version of Black Magic Woman on SACD, my RS1 and it's stable mate RA-1 get the nod, and it's pure musical bliss every time.
L3000.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #35,130 of 65,629
  you mean the dolce gabbana? if there's no different with gs1000i, you pretty much just paid an overprice gs1000i then 
for the sound.not everyone like it.i don't like it and i think joseph69 also not like the gs1000i.it has a very V sound and it's just weird for some genre
with that money 1800usd you could get grado hp2 in fairly good condition.and pretty sure the sound going to be better than gs1000i

I agree with the GS1Ki having a very V shaped sound.
Neither the GSi/e series were for me.

Quote:

You just might regret selling the PS1K one day.
I don't understand why the GS1K D&G Edition would use a 4 conductor cable with an (i) series driver either?

@Dillan 

If you've never heard the GS1K I would definitely listen to them before buying them at that price just because their a D&B Edition.
Not too sure these are highly sort after, or will ever be. I don't really think people into music/audio are interested in aGS1K D&G Edition.

I know everyone hears differently and have different preferences, but I don't care for the GS models at all, and we've recently discussed our favorites, so I would say we have similar sound preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back