Grado Fan Club!
Mar 7, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #34,861 of 65,636
I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I have a pair of SR325, and absolutely love them. But, I've been itching to upgrade for a while and I cannot figure out which direction I should go in. I'm trying to decide between the RS1e and the PS500e, and no matter what I read about them, it seems like they both have people who say they're the best of Grado's line.

What I like about the 325 is the detail and clarity, but I feel like the only thing missing is the bottom end. It's there, it's clear, but it could be better. I want crisp clean highs, and I don't mind a little bit of brightness, but I want to avoid sibilance. And,, I don't want a big or bloated bass that will get in the way of clarity. If anyone who's heard the 325, RS1e, and the PS500e can give me a little bit of guidance, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Well I have owned all of these at one point and what you want (deeper bass) does not exist in the Grado line and that is the sad truth.

The only Grado I have at the moment is the PS500e because they sounded the most natural to me. They still sound like grados but they have a smoother mid like the PS1000e but have softer highs (flatter not soft) then the PS1000e.

I wanted to keep the GH-1 over the PS500e because they looked awesome and were light BUT the PS500e is better from a technical standpoint. The bass is tighter and there is less color in the upper mids. Highs seemed the same.

I want to hear the GH2 and I am looking forward to the PS2000e when it comes out.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #34,862 of 65,636
Well I have owned all of these at one point and what you want (deeper bass) does not exist in the Grado line and that is the sad truth.

The only Grado I have at the moment is the PS500e because they sounded the most natural to me. They still sound like grados but they have a smoother mid like the PS1000e but have softer highs (flatter not soft) then the PS1000e.

I wanted to keep the GH-1 over the PS500e because they looked awesome and were light BUT the PS500e is better from a technical standpoint. The bass is tighter and there is less color in the upper mids. Highs seemed the same.

I want to hear the GH2 and I am looking forward to the PS2000e when it comes out.

Can you tell me, is the PS500 a noticeable upgrade over the SR325, or is it more of an incremental improvement? I'd like to upgrade, but it's not worth all the extra money to me for only a slight or marginal step up.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #34,865 of 65,636
@Peter68

If you would have responded to my question asking where you're located, I would have tried to help you out. You possibly could have answered these questions for yourself using your own ears.

Easy there, friend. I didn't see your question as it came in between a couple of other responses. Didn't mean to cause you offense or heartache or whatever it was that prompted such a terse reply.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #34,866 of 65,636
  I love my Grados but if I'm in the mood for bass I use my Denon AH-D7200 or Sennheiser HD700

I loved my Grado SR80 and Alessandro MS1, until I got my Superlux HD-681 EVO's. Love the bass on them...and now those other headphones are gathering dust.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #34,867 of 65,636
Can you tell me, is the PS500 a noticeable upgrade over the SR325, or is it more of an incremental improvement? I'd like to upgrade, but it's not worth all the extra money to me for only a slight or marginal step up.

The PS500 is old and super bassy from what I understand. The PS500e is much different and closer to the standard Grado sound while being the most relaxed of the current grados.

I can't say if the PS500e is a big upgrade from the 325e as I did not have them at the same time. I would guess technicallities are about the same and the tonal balance is the big difference. With the PS500e being less upper mid and treble focused and all around flatter sounding. This will make them sound bassier than the 325 even though the bass might be the same, if that make sense. If your tight on money it is probably not worth it unless you just want a different tonal balance.

What I can say is that the PS500e is my favorite headphone of all time. I have tried to "upgrade" several times only to come back to the PS500e. I bought a few $1000-$2000 headphones and moved on. In direct comparison to the HD800S, LCDX, LCD2 Focal Elear, Grado Ps1000e, GS1000e, RS1e, GH1, HE560 and more I came back to the PS500e. I should note here that I value mid range quality above all things, then a flat response and I don't put much value on soundstage (that is what speakers are for...)

The only negative of them to me is the sub bass is non existent like all grados and the soundstage is small like all on ear grados with bowl pads.

If I were you I would order them from Grado (4ourears.net) or headroom as they both have a no questions asked return police and find out for yourself if they are worth the upgrade. BUT if I was buying right now I would take a gamble on the GH2. They look awesome and have the same driver more or less as the PS500e. Remember to give them a few days for your ears to adjust. The might sound dark to you at first coming from the 325 but in the end I think you will like them better once you adjust.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #34,868 of 65,636
The PS500 is old and super bassy from what I understand. The PS500e is much different and closer to the standard Grado sound while being the most relaxed of the current grados.

I can't say if the PS500e is a big upgrade from the 325e as I did not have them at the same time. I would guess technicallities are about the same and the tonal balance is the big difference. With the PS500e being less upper mid and treble focused and all around flatter sounding. This will make them sound bassier than the 325 even though the bass might be the same, if that make sense. If your tight on money it is probably not worth it unless you just want a different tonal balance.

What I can say is that the PS500e is my favorite headphone of all time. I have tried to "upgrade" several times only to come back to the PS500e. I bought a few $1000-$2000 headphones and moved on. In direct comparison to the HD800S, LCDX, LCD2 Focal Elear, Grado Ps1000e, GS1000e, RS1e, GH1, HE560 and more I came back to the PS500e. I should note here that I value mid range quality above all things, then a flat response and I don't put much value on soundstage (that is what speakers are for...)

The only negative of them to me is the sub bass is non existent like all grados and the soundstage is small like all on ear grados with bowl pads.

If I were you I would order them from Grado (4ourears.net) or headroom as they both have a no questions asked return police and find out for yourself if they are worth the upgrade. BUT if I was buying right now I would take a gamble on the GH2. They look awesome and have the same driver more or less as the PS500e. Remember to give them a few days for your ears to adjust. The might sound dark to you at first coming from the 325 but in the end I think you will like them better once you adjust.

Thanks so much. That is an enormously helpful response, and I really appreciate you taking the time to write it all out. Now I'll have to think about the GH2s before I make s decision....

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #34,870 of 65,636

Don't know if this will help but I had a PS500 and it was not a bass monster, the PS500e is a little better in the bass to me with a better over all sound signature but both are easily bested in both bass and overall FR by some of the new alternate drivers being made by Elleven Acoustic and Nhoord.  I built a headphones with a Ypsilon S2 driver for a friend and the PS500e he had was out the door.

The other alternative is to do some mods on the SR325, like the vent hole and dynamat mods to get better bass.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #34,871 of 65,636
  Don't know if this will help but I had a PS500 and it was not a bass monster, the PS500e is a little better in the bass to me with a better over all sound signature but both are easily bested in both bass and overall FR by some of the new alternate drivers being made by Elleven Acoustic and Nhoord.  I built a headphones with a Ypsilon S2 driver for a friend and the PS500e he had was out the door.

The other alternative is to do some mods on the SR325, like the vent hole and dynamat mods to get better bass.

Or get a GH2...  
wink.gif
  I can't stop fawning over this thing.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #34,873 of 65,636
  Yup, the cocobolo wood looks great but I like the GH1 look better
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

Can't blame you.  I like lighter wood also.  That's why I got my Eikons in cherry and had them lacquered so it would be even lighter.  But everyone needs a little yin with their yang, lol.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #34,874 of 65,636
:eek:

Can't blame you.  I like lighter wood also....../......But everyone needs a little yin with their yang, lol.

I agree! I love the two tone wood( and colors) that the GS2KE has which compliments my LCD-Xs quite well. It's all about balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back