Grado Fan Club!
Mar 6, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #34,846 of 65,693
I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I have a pair of SR325, and absolutely love them. But, I've been itching to upgrade for a while and I cannot figure out which direction I should go in. I'm trying to decide between the RS1e and the PS500e, and no matter what I read about them, it seems like they both have people who say they're the best of Grado's line.

What I like about the 325 is the detail and clarity, but I feel like the only thing missing is the bottom end. It's there, it's clear, but it could be better. I want crisp clean highs, and I don't mind a little bit of brightness, but I want to avoid sibilance. And,, I don't want a big or bloated bass that will get in the way of clarity. If anyone who's heard the 325, RS1e, and the PS500e can give me a little bit of guidance, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #34,847 of 65,693
I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I have a pair of SR325, and absolutely love them. But, I've been itching to upgrade for a while and I cannot figure out which direction I should go in. I'm trying to decide between the RS1e and the PS500e, and no matter what I read about them, it seems like they both have people who say they're the best of Grado's line.

What I like about the 325 is the detail and clarity, but I feel like the only thing missing is the bottom end. It's there, it's clear, but it could be better. I want crisp clean highs, and I don't mind a little bit of brightness, but I want to avoid sibilance. And,, I don't want a big or bloated bass that will get in the way of clarity. If anyone who's heard the 325, RS1e, and the PS500e can give me a little bit of guidance, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
The GH-2 perhaps?

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #34,848 of 65,693

I had the PS500e and thought the Bass was "just ok"... not ANY better than my cherished 325e.
Haven't heard the RS series so I can't comment.

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #34,849 of 65,693
PS500/PS1000 (non-e) and HF2 have the most bass. The RS1e has less treble, which allows you to turn up the volume for more bass, because it uses the 50mm driver. But all of the 50mm driver e-series Grados behave this way if you put the L-cups on them.

Haven't heard the GH1, though apparently it sounds almost like the PS500e, so it's not that big on bass.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #34,851 of 65,693
PS500/PS1000 (non-e) and HF2 have the most bass. The RS1e has less treble, which allows you to turn up the volume for more bass, because it uses the 50mm driver. But all of the 50mm driver e-series Grados behave this way if you put the L-cups on them.

Haven't heard the GH1, though apparently it sounds almost like the PS500e, so it's not that big on bass.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I wish I could just listen to them both, but there aren't any retailers near me.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #34,852 of 65,693
IMO everything depends on wich is the main sound dimension that you are looking for.  In my case my quest for transparency finished with 325i Gold.  I have RS1i, RS2i, 125e, 225i and MS2i.and I prefer 325i Gold sound.  My 0.02.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #34,855 of 65,693

A cheaper way might be to try different pads, the Earzonk L pads usually add some bass and the clone G pads that you can get on ebay for $6 also adds a little bass and for me its more comfortable and give a little better sound stage as a bonus.

I had a SR325e and sent it back after 3 weeks, it was just too bright for me, ended up with SR225e, liked it a lot and got a RS2e.  I have a PS500 also but its going since the bass is not as good as the PS500e that I heard and I've since found that alternate drivers like the Ypsilon and Nhoord are more my taste, better bass and a more even FR.  Also did change the pads on the RS2 and SR225e to clone G pads, did some mods to the SR225e (dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver, felt on the back of the button and removable cables), really improves the low end, something you might want to try on your SR325e since its reversible if you don't like the changes.

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #34,856 of 65,693
First, I did try searching but only found general preferences, not specific rankings for sound signatures. My search skills may be lacking though.

Questions:

1) How much of a difference to the sound signature do the different cushion/pads make? A little, some, middling, a lot, or a ton?

2) Which help with more low end? Which more high end? L, G, and the TTVJ flats I have seen a lot of people discuss, and some prefer one over the other, but I've never read an ordering of which sounds what way. For example, TTVJ > L > G for low end?).

I've been using Alessandro MS-1's for years now and have a GH2 on the way (which I think comes with L cushions). I actually find the MS-1's to be very comfy, one of the reasons I decided to give a Grado a chance after Sennheiser HD650 head clamp was too much. Tried Audeze Sines briefly, but they too were not as comfortable to my big head. 

I'm hoping the GH2 will have better bass, but time will tell. Just considering maybe trying different pads too (if they truly do change the sound signature a lot). 

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #34,857 of 65,693
Generally, the thinner the pad, the better the bass impact because the driver is closer to your ears and less air escapes: TTVJ flat > S > L > G. You can cut a hole in the S to make them neo-flat, and you can tape the L bowls. If you're willing to open up your Grado, the vent mod (punching holes in the driver felt) provides a drastic bass increase. (The top-of-the-line Grados have 4 vent holes.)

Haven't used unofficial pads but they have a different uniform foam density unlike the official ones, which have a softer density near the center.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #34,858 of 65,693
  Generally, the thinner the pad, the better the bass impact because the driver is closer to your ears and less air escapes: TTVJ flat > S > L > G. You can cut a hole in the S to make them neo-flat, and you can tape the L bowls. If you're willing to open up your Grado, the vent mod (punching holes in the driver felt) provides a drastic bass increase. (The top-of-the-line Grados have 4 vent holes.)

Haven't used unofficial pads but they have a different uniform foam density unlike the official ones, which have a softer density near the center.

The GH2 has 4 vent holes... 

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #34,859 of 65,693

lol, she says she won't share them

show her who's the boss!

Joining the club with a humble set of SR60E..Seriously blown away by these and i can't se any other headphones that i own getting used in the near future. If this is entry level and for 80 bucks or so ( 125+ ) in Sweden where i live. I'm mind blown.

happy listening! and you're not alone

i haven't heard ps500e. but if you love sr325. you probably don't wanna upgrade to rs1. it's different sounding for sure. and the bass also not that different. btw there's way to add more bass which is by punch a hole at the back of the grado driver.every higher end grado headphone have this.most of the time it's 4 holes. but you really don't want to  mess this up because it could ruin the tuning that you love. but most of the people who do this in prestige series usually ended up with 2 holes.more than that all you had just a bloated bass

First, I did try searching but only found general preferences, not specific rankings for sound signatures. My search skills may be lacking though.

Questions:

1) How much of a difference to the sound signature do the different cushion/pads make? A little, some, middling, a lot, or a ton?

2) Which help with more low end? Which more high end? L, G, and the TTVJ flats I have seen a lot of people discuss, and some prefer one over the other, but I've never read an ordering of which sounds what way. For example, TTVJ > L > G for low end?).

I've been using Alessandro MS-1's for years now and have a GH2 on the way (which I think comes with L cushions). I actually find the MS-1's to be very comfy, one of the reasons I decided to give a Grado a chance after Sennheiser HD650 head clamp was too much. Tried Audeze Sines briefly, but they too were not as comfortable to my big head. 

I'm hoping the GH2 will have better bass, but time will tell. Just considering maybe trying different pads too (if they truly do change the sound signature a lot). 

1. not that difference.the sound signature still there. changing the cushion make the sound different for sure.you'll immediately notice that. but at the end of the day.it's still a grado headphone. but if you heavily modded it,depend how you mod it.it could change the sound signature

2. for low end/mid end like prestige or reference series. you probably want l-cush/flat pad. for me it's flat pad for sure. g-cush in prestige/reference series mainly just for comfort. high end like gs/ps series you really just want to stick with g-cush.

you probably going to love gh2 or ps500. a lot of people who has heard grado hf2/ps500 thought the sound more similar to allesandro sound. which is more like a tamed grado sound. and gh-1 also has this sound signature. so if gh2 anywhere near gh1. you'll going to love it.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #34,860 of 65,693
  Generally, the thinner the pad, the better the bass impact because the driver is closer to your ears and less air escapes: TTVJ flat > S > L > G. 

That makes a lot of sense...thanks!

The GH2 has 4 vent holes... 

Then I won't even consider taking them apart to punch holes. :wink:

1. not that difference.the sound signature still there. changing the cushion make the sound different for sure.you'll immediately notice that. but at the end of the day.it's still a grado headphone. but if you heavily modded it,depend how you mod it.it could change the sound signature

2. for low end/mid end like prestige or reference series. you probably want l-cush/flat pad. for me it's flat pad for sure. g-cush in prestige/reference series mainly just for comfort. high end like gs/ps series you really just want to stick with g-cush.

you probably going to love gh2 or ps500. a lot of people who has heard grado hf2/ps500 thought the sound more similar to allesandro sound. which is more like a tamed grado sound. and gh-1 also has this sound signature. so if gh2 anywhere near gh1. you'll going to love it.

Thanks, and hope you are correct about the gh2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back