Grado Fan Club!
Mar 3, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #34,816 of 65,811
That's great to hear! How is the treble? Any pics on the way?

Treble sounds pretty good too! I usually find too much treble fatiguing, and i don't find these fatiguing at all. That MIGHT mean their a little treble light but, I leave that kind of opinion talk to folks better suited for it. :wink:

I'll try and post some pictures in a few mins before I leave for work. They're absolutely gorgeous tho, rest assured. Arguably the prettiest Grados I've ever owned (and I was nervous about the design). The grill is actually slightly domed which I definitely didn't notice in pictures leading up to release.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #34,818 of 65,811
Mar 3, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #34,820 of 65,811
Some hastily taken pictures.

Very nice!  Mine came yesterday as well.  I'll take some pics when I get home from work tonight.  I'm really happy with how mine look... I was a bit nervous.  The wood grain is beautiful.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #34,821 of 65,811
much better looking than stock grado photo. btw is it heavier than their mahogany/maple or about the same weight? it's always made me wonder how grado could make their wood really light weight

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #34,822 of 65,811
  much better looking than stock grado photo. btw is it heavier than their mahogany/maple or about the same weight? it's always made me wonder how grado could make their wood really light weight

Don't let Jonathan Grado hear that :wink:

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #34,823 of 65,811
@Eric510 Thanks for the gorgeous photos. It's really cool to see the domed mesh, it's a nice finishing touch.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #34,825 of 65,811

Thanks! Gray Limba? It's from a board that is very clearly divided down the center with black limba on one side, white limba on the other. It's definitely from the more whitish side, but I was really surprised that after sanding, the grain started to pop out with a light grayish-black. Nothing dramatic, but the grain turned out way better looking than I was expecting when I started. The wood on the face was some thin stock Bocote I had stashed. The Limba board is 4/4, so I just used to Bocote to give the chambers some depth and the outside some character. The Janka hardness of bocote is noted to be around 2010 lbf, not nearly as hard as the blackwood, but still much harder than the limba. What effect does using super dense wood on both sides of the limba have on the sound?

The first thing Im trying to figure out is how deep the air chamber can be before it starts to have a pronounced effect on the sound. These are pretty shallow, just shy of an inch from the back of the driver to the outside face.

Yeah, Limba can look good if you hit it right. I'll be honest, I liked the idea of layering at first simply as a way to use a tonewood I liked hearing, but didn't like looking at :D. Personally, and I know this is highly subjective, I found adding the denser wood gave me the tone of the Blackwood, but added a little (for want of a better term) restraint. I get a controlled version of the resonance I liked.  This is all very subtle though, and I'll be the first to admit that this is further up the creek than most would want to travel...

Chamber size definitely has an effect. My space behind the driver is about an inch I think...I should look at the last pair I turned to be sure I guess...

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #34,826 of 65,811
So what's been happening in Grado land?

Another limited edition by Jonathon? GH2?
Do share..
How does it sound?

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #34,827 of 65,811
These GH2s look even better in person.  The coloring is fantastic and changes drastically with the lighting.  Just got home from work and getting ready to listen to them.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #34,829 of 65,811

Once they're decently burned in looking for your findings compared to your other Grados!

First impression upon putting them on was, "Wait, these have bass?".  Compared to my GH1, GS1000e, and the RS1e I had shortly, these can really dish out the lows, and they are at the same time quite bright.  Not a problem as it's the signature Grado sound I love.  I'm using the stock L cups so far.  Might have to try the Gs and see if it tames the highs a bit.  But yeah, so far I'm in love.  I keep taking them off just to look at them... Good thing my wife is out of town so she can't see me doting on them, haha. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #34,830 of 65,811
  Don't let Jonathan Grado hear that :wink:

These GH2s look even better in person.  The coloring is fantastic and changes drastically with the lighting.  Just got home from work and getting ready to listen to them.

i firmly believe the stock grado photos didn't do any justice. these look less like modded grado. and it's even look more beauty than the stock photo 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back