Grado Fan Club!
Dec 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #34,111 of 65,818

At the moment i'm loving the sound i have from all my Grado's , so i don't want to open a can of worms by playing around with different pads. , lol.    Once you hear something different with a different pad will your old pads ever sound the same again ??? lol.   
I also find the L-Cush really comfy ,  i must be in the minority of people who find Grado's rather comfy ,  heck i can even fall asleep with them on.

enjoy while it last. i used to be like that. comfortable not really an issue for me. i found grado headphone quite comfortable with flat pad or L-cush even comfy pad really comfy.and then... i bought mb quart QP85. it changed everything. now it has to be G-pad or i cant listen music for long session

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #34,112 of 65,818
  From what i read the G-Pads are the last thing i need with the RS-2e & SR-325e . 

This is the consensus using the G cushions with the SR/RS models. You may really like TTVJ Flat Pads which will bring the drivers closer to you ears and add some bass but at the cost of loosing some upper frequencies and sound-stage, but check them out a lot of people really like them and the original RS1 came stock with them, but they where also tuned differently as well.

Quote:
  The Earzonk L is not a pad that I like either, as you noticed the 3 layer construction of the Grado L pad which.

David, I believe only the Grado G cushions are made from 3-layers of foam. The EZ G cushions look to be 1 piece. I have both of them and can see the 3-layers on the Grado, but nothing on the EZ? 
smile.gif

Quote:
  did you guys ever try the hp3000? hp1000 headphile mod

Those are gorgeous!

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #34,113 of 65,818
  Hi DavidA

From what i read the G-Pads are the last thing i need with the RS-2e & SR-325e .    Is there something different about the Earzonk G-Pads compared to the Grado G-Cush ??.
When i was struggling with my SR80e sound before i learnt of the quarter mod , i purchased a fake pair of L-Cush from ebay ,  i found it made the sound quite full of bass but at the sacrifice of blocking other frequencies .
The fake L-Cush sound completely different to my official Grado L-Cush on all my Grado cans,  they make the SR-325e to bass sounding and not in a good way.

I'm dubious of other cushions by other companies , as from what i've learnt on my journey so far is that Grado use the cushions they do for a reason.    Yet it amazes me how something as simple as a cushion can change the entire sound.   It's like Grado have endless possibilities of modding.     
I have noticed that there are 3 different layers of foam on the Grado L-Cush which i assume is for the intended frequencies to resonate as designed ,  something that fake L-Cush do not do.

beyersmile.png
Currently listening to Joe Satriani on my RS-2e .   Best take advantage of this flu that i have and spend it with my beloved Grado's.

Welcome to Grado family!  I love my original G cushion with my RS1i. I also have Earzonk G pads but the original are much much better.  The Eerzonk veiled the soud IMO.  My 0.02.  

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #34,114 of 65,818
@joseph69, the site/page hung while i was typing
 Grado L and G are both 3 layer construction and Earzonk is all one type of foam as you noted.

The shape of the Grado G and Earzonk G are not quite the same and the really cheap ones I've gotten from e--- are also a little different in shape, really hard to tell in pictures or even in person.  Also the density and stiffness of the foam varies from different sources, its why I suggested trying a few different ones and see what works.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #34,117 of 65,818
  did you guys ever try the hp3000? hp1000 headphile mod

Those were awful.  Definitely the bad old days.  The CD3000 was a good headphone, and the HP1 is a legendary headphone, and this combination ruined them both to make an unholy, middling headphone with lousy resale value.

Larry is a pretty capable woodworker, and he certainly provides a valuable service for folks who want to customize their headphones, but I shudder to think of the classic headphones that were butchered for things like this.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #34,118 of 65,818
Apologies for the double post, but that HP3000 got me browsing Larry's site, and I came upon a picture that's relevant to our recent SR325 discussion.

These are the six styles of SR325 cups used by Grado, with the oft-discussed black aluminum at #1.  If any of you would like to buy a set of these cups, you can do so here: http://www.headphile.com/page7.html

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #34,120 of 65,818
  Welcome to Grado family!  I love my original G cushion with my RS1i. I also have Earzonk G pads but the original are much much better.  The Eerzonk veiled the soud IMO.  My 0.02.  

I've never had the pleasure of hearing the world famous RS-1i ,   have you tried the RS-1e with the flush driver and the tanned head band ??? 

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #34,121 of 65,818
  Apologies for the double post, but that HP3000 got me browsing Larry's site, and I came upon a picture that's relevant to our recent SR325 discussion.

These are the six styles of SR325 cups used by Grado, with the oft-discussed black aluminum at #1.  If any of you would like to buy a set of these cups, you can do so here: http://www.headphile.com/page7.html

I love those black sr325 cups ,   beautys

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #34,122 of 65,818
@DavidA ,

Those look great!

Love the detachable connectors, fantastic job.

How do you like the Ypsilon Drivers? I hear they're dead neutral, Blackstar Drivers like.

And which cups do you have on currently and which other aftermarket drivers did you have installed?

Ive seen those white, non circular style drivers... IIRC they are a particular version of magnums.

Both are nice but I'm really digging the one with the 2 tone wood finish that had the original rodblocks and gimbals.

@joseph69
, the site/page hung while i was typing
 Grado L and G are both 3 layer construction and Earzonk is all one type of foam as you noted.

The shape of the Grado G and Earzonk G are not quite the same and the really cheap ones I've gotten from e--- are also a little different in shape, really hard to tell in pictures or even in person.  Also the density and stiffness of the foam varies from different sources, its why I suggested trying a few different ones and see what works.

This 100% right on.

Also the Earzonk L Cushions and eBay-Chinese Imitation L Cushions have a slightly different shape and foam density/quality.

Both pads recess Grado's wonderful crystal clear airy treble, reduce upper mids and make the upper bass frequencies more pronounced.

This difference is not subtle, amazing what a difference the change of pads can do to affect the sound signature... and for the worse IMHO.

When you put original Grado Bowls back on, it's as if a veil has been lifted across the entire frequency range. Theres much better seperation of the entire range, notably bass quality and texture, as well as a smoother midrange and cleaner treble.

OEM Bowls also have a slightly deeper profile so sound stage is better as well. The EZ's and eBay pads have a flatter profile and even more so when put on your head.

They suffer from size consistency issues with pairs not having the same depth or a perfect circle shape. Lastly the most obvious immediate difference is how the foam feels with the OEM Bowls having the edges glazed over and firm with that shiny asphalt look.

OEM pads last much longer based on my experiences.

Those were awful.  Definitely the bad old days.  The CD3000 was a good headphone, and the HP1 is a legendary headphone, and this combination ruined them both to make an unholy, middling headphone with lousy resale value.

Larry is a pretty capable woodworker, and he certainly provides a valuable service for folks who want to customize their headphones, but I shudder to think of the classic headphones that were butchered for things like this.

Couldnt't agree with you more. You don't modify a classic like that, as a bit of a purist i could never do that to mine!

I love them just the way they are as Joe Grado intended them to be used.

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #34,124 of 65,818
@eserafinojr
i think it's just normal white driver.it's certainly not the blackstar. and i don't think it's pink driver either.but the tuning very difference from modern grado. it's very balance and little bit laid back. actually, this might sounds weird but i prefer this than rs1 button. maybe i had too much expectation with rs1. so when i got it and i listened to it( with flat pad and L-cush ), not really impressed by it. i prefer gh-1

@aws soul
maybe you should see your doctor again after a week or a month just you know.follow up checking.just to make sure there's no complication here and there
btw have you tried flat pad? i dont know how it would sound in rs2e.but in rs1 the bass become really punchy and more forward sound. it's give a little bit energy to rs1.but its not comfortable for sure

Oh yeah. Either of the 3 types they sound phenomenal.

The white driver SR100s are actually the least common, most are Blackstar or Pinks (More Common).

Your the only one. I like my vintage SRs more than my RS1 as well (buttonless).

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #34,125 of 65,818
@Sherwood
hahaha. i never had a chance to listen to it so i have no idea.but one thing that i remember in those days. woody was really a thing. everything had to be in woody 

@eserafinojr
ahh. when i bought it, i had no idea what's driver this sr100 had. the seller couldn't get the  a close up photo. and i did some research. most blackstar drivers are in sr100 with red lettering. so all hope is gone. and i had no idea pink driver also in sr100/200/300. so i wasn't really expecting to keep it as collection but the sound turned out really different. and now you mention it's the least common, maybe i made the right call.sold rs1 buttoned and keep sr100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back