Grado Fan Club!
Oct 20, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #33,586 of 65,605
For me, the LoToo PAW 5000 gave better (more immersive, surrounding) soundstage, better apparent spatial separation between the instruments, and a bit better bass. I noticed it more with the Grado RS1e than I did on the RS2e or GH 1, but it improved all.

In addition, if you set its parametric equalzer to the settings mentioned by LoToo (I can send them to you if you get it) they sound even better, but my observations above were with no EQ.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #33,587 of 65,605
I have had truly excellent support and communication with Grado, including their repairing and returning a pair of Bushmills on the same day they received them, with tracking info showing that they had them for only 90 min!

But they are a US-centric company. They do not market by going to shows; they do not advertise very much, they have the world's least fancy packaging, and I can certainly imagine that they focus attention on doing well in only a subset of the things that a lot of headphone manufacturers do, choosing to deemphasize marketing, packaging, and international distribution.

Why, when I learned that they did NOT have some celebrity such as Taylor Swift sporting and endorsing their headphones, I offered my services as their model and spokesman. Since I am not a celebrity, I am past middle age attractiveness, and I am not a particularly good musician, I figured I could be an anti-celebrity endorser.

I have not yet heard back from them on my offer.

The have no idea the opportunity that they're missing!

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #33,588 of 65,605
So here is a question for all of you who have tried why more Grado's then me. I currently own the Grado HF-2, and out of curiosity, built a pair of mahogany wood cupped magnum V5's. I had a chance to be on the TTVJ tour for the GS2000e's, and just got through comparing all 3. I'll have a more detailed review in the tour thread, but my main take was that while the 2000's had better extension and more air around the instruments, the HF2 was about 85 to 90% of the sound for me and hard to justify that expense. Part of it is no doubt my 56 year old ears. I though the magnums had the same house sound, but slightly darker. So my question is this, any benifit to trying out any of the lower price Grado's? I'm thinking RS2e or 325e. Would they bring anything different to the table then what I already own?

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #33,590 of 65,605
So here is a question for all of you who have tried why more Grado's then me. I currently own the Grado HF-2, and out of curiosity, built a pair of mahogany wood cupped magnum V5's. I had a chance to be on the TTVJ tour for the GS2000e's, and just got through comparing all 3. I'll have a more detailed review in the tour thread, but my main take was that while the 2000's had better extension and more air around the instruments, the HF2 was about 85 to 90% of the sound for me and hard to justify that expense. Part of it is no doubt my 56 year old ears. I though the magnums had the same house sound, but slightly darker. So my question is this, any benifit to trying out any of the lower price Grado's? I'm thinking RS2e or 325e. Would they bring anything different to the table then what I already own?

I have not heard the HF2 but they are the "original" PS500? If that is true I don't think you will get better, just different.

IMO the wood Grados have a different sound. The wood does add some sound and I think it rings a little. It is suttle and I only really noticed it when comparing the GH-1, Rs2e, GS1000e and PS500e back to back was it clear what was going on.

With that being said the turning of each has a bigger effect than anything.

The RS2e will probably be a step backwards in technicalities but the Mids and highs were more lively than the PS500e and it could be fun to have a different flavor.

I owned the MS2i (like the 325 more or less) and they were the worst Grados I owned. They were bright and lacked bass. Mids were odd IMO.

I think the only real upgrade for you would be the PS1000e and everything else would just be different rather than better.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #33,591 of 65,605
w
You might enjoy my comparison of my 27 Grados, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/808325/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-grado-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here-thanks-giogio#post_12583926

I also got the HF2, but after this comparison.

To me, the HF2 is the PS500 without the treble roll off, making it preferable. It has the same construction of metal cups enclosing wood cups that the PS500 and PS1000 ( and their -e versions) share.

I found by happenstance that the HF 2 can be significantly improved by an amp ( as can the RS1e). That was a surprise, as most of my other Grados are only marginally improved by sn amp.

Here are my comparisons of my Grados. Go to my thread for details.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #33,592 of 65,605
I have just gotten the 2000e like 8 days ago there in HKG. I really think it's the wood, after burn in they are more sweet sounding then all my other gear. The timber and the tone is more round and full to my ears. The Woo Dragonfly and the 2000 is a great match. Ray Lynch never sounded so good.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #33,593 of 65,605
   The Woo Dragonfly and the 2000 is a great match. Ray Lynch never sounded so good.

Congratulations.
Woo Audio - Fireflies
Audioquest - Dragonfly
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #33,594 of 65,605
  Congratulations.
Woo Audio - Fireflies
Audioquest - Dragonfly
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Ohhhhhh Yesssss. I have both. But I tell you I always travel with the Dragonfly RED and while in HK I did 4 days burn in with the RED. It sounded good even though it was new out of the box. Only the first day did it sound thin. Then it filled out and I think this 2000e was very easy to break in. Not like some other gear I have, not so easy. Cheers.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #33,595 of 65,605
Heads up, the GH1 is actually for sale again on Grado's website right now.

http://www.4ourears.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4E-GH1

Five left!

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #33,599 of 65,605
I demoed them about a month ago. I thought they were good. I did not buy them at the time because I am going to get the PS1000e or GS2000e soon... but you know how impulse buying works lol.
my two cents is that although the PS1000e and the G2000e sound better to even my ears, their also over double the price. For the sound and value, I'm very happy with mine. :)

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #33,600 of 65,605
I prefer the GH1 with G cush to the GS1000e.  Good choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back