Grado Fan Club!
Aug 22, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #33,256 of 65,634
@trellus

I saw some posts by you from a few months back indicating that you had the Alessandro MS2 and SR325e.  I am very interested in both of these.  How would you compare them?  Thanks.
I'm not trellus but I just sold the SR325e to get the MS2e and I think the MS2e is a smoother, more laid back and wider-sounding version of the SR325e. Both are no-brainer.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #33,257 of 65,634
I'm not trellus but I just sold the SR325e to get the MS2e and I think the MS2e is a smoother, more laid back and wider-sounding version of the SR325e. Both are no-brainer.

@zombywoof, I agree with William, although I have the MS2i, and not the MS2e.

; I actually did post earlier in this thread some quick impressions of the differences between them, and they were basically this:

1. I immediately noticed that the 325e are more sensitive than the MS2i, so that the 325e are louder with the volume pot at the same level than the MS2i.

2. The 325e seemed noticeably brighter and more aggressive than the MS2i, to my ears.

That was my early impression but now it's mostly from memory since I keep the MS2i, where they are my most used cans, and I keep the 325e at work.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #33,258 of 65,634
  Yes, I do love my 325is even though I've never heard any of the other series.

Speaking of love, like my SR80e, I could live with my GR10e as one and only pair of Grado, they sound great!, 
L3000.gif

If you ever get the itch for some IEMs, get yourself a pair of these wonderful auricular suppositorys, trust me,  you won't regret it.
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #33,260 of 65,634
@WilliamLeonhart (alias "not trellus")
@trellus
Thanks for the recommendations.  And trellus, thanks for not making me read all 33,000+ posts in this thread to find your impressions.  I am going to visit a local shop this weekend and audition the SR325e.  Wish I could do the same for the MS2, but no such luck.  I am watching the used forum, but so far haven't seen anything.  Thanks again for taking the time to offer some directions to a fellow traveler on the Grado highway.

By the way, I am loving my RS2e more and more every day.  I will likely end up selling some of my other headphones as they are not going to get much use from here on out.  My TH-X00 have not been out of the case one time in the past two weeks...great headphones, but once bitten by the Grado bug...perhaps no going back.  Cheers.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #33,261 of 65,634
Got to hear the new GS2000e today and I really liked them. Got to A-B them with the PS1000e and while I still prefer the slightly more punchier and dynamic PS1000e, the GS2000e weren't too far behind. I loved their light weight and comfort; throw in a brilliant open sound and I can definitely see why so many enjoy them.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #33,262 of 65,634
  Speaking of love, like my SR80e, I could live with my GR10e as one and only pair of Grado, they sound great!, 
size]

If you ever get the itch for some IEMs, get yourself a pair of these wonderful auricular suppositorys, trust me,  you won't regret it.
wink.gif

Glad to hear your enjoying the GR10e so much.
I don't think Ill ever feel the need for IEM's but if I do I'll definetely go for the Grados!

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #33,264 of 65,634
I'm curious, why would you buy SR80e when you already own SR80i and several much more expensive headphones (RS1, GS1000 etc)?

Same reason I got the 80e when I own the LCD-4! Just something to change up the sound from time to time. I also wanted something less expensive to use as a "daily driver" (which now I use the Rs2e for that some too). A lot of people will get used to a sound, get bored and sell it but then want it back after awhile. Having a wide variety can prevent that. He also may have wanted to compare the i to the e.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #33,266 of 65,634
Hello folks

I finally got my first ever pair of Grados. They are RS1s, not the "i" nor "e" series, so obviously they are no longer being manufactured. I guess it's a rare commodity.

However, I think I overpaid for it. Got it for $500 on Ebay, I can't find the price range for the original RS1s anywhere else on the web, so I really don't know how much they should cost at market retail price.

I tried them on for the first time yesterday, and obviously it is as advertised, the midrange is unbelievable. Maybe the best I've experienced so far. Easily trumps my PSB M4U 1 and maaaaybe even my Sonrous Pandora Hope VI. However, there seems to be a problem with the drum sounds as they are very soft, it seems the instruments just drowns them out which was surprisingly disappointing and weird. My PSB and Sonorous just gives you that hard, tight assaulting drums but on these RS1s I forget the drums even exists. Is this similar to anyone else who has owned these Grados?

I just find it very strange. I did buy them used but I don't think they are malfunctioning or anything. I mean, I think it's better if I bought them used since there is already burn-in time so I don't have to waste time doing that. And these are the first Grados I've ever used so I can't compare them to any other Grado series.

I really enjoy the friendly sound and the midrange these have, but the drums just seem soft to me.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #33,267 of 65,634
  Hello folks

I finally got my first ever pair of Grados. They are RS1s, not the "i" nor "e" series, so obviously they are no longer being manufactured. I guess it's a rare commodity.

However, I think I overpaid for it. Got it for $500 on Ebay, I can't find the price range for the original RS1s anywhere else on the web, so I really don't know how much they should cost at market retail price.

I tried them on for the first time yesterday, and obviously it is as advertised, the midrange is unbelievable. Maybe the best I've experienced so far. Easily trumps my PSB M4U 1 and maaaaybe even my Sonrous Pandora Hope VI. However, there seems to be a problem with the drum sounds as they are very soft, it seems the instruments just drowns them out which was surprisingly disappointing and weird. My PSB and Sonorous just gives you that hard, tight assaulting drums but on these RS1s I forget the drums even exists. Is this similar to anyone else who has owned these Grados?

I just find it very strange. I did buy them used but I don't think they are malfunctioning or anything. I mean, I think it's better if I bought them used since there is already burn-in time so I don't have to waste time doing that. And these are the first Grados I've ever used so I can't compare them to any other Grado series.

I really enjoy the friendly sound and the midrange these have, but the drums just seem soft to me.

You should definitely check out (this) thread on the RS1. There is some great Grado lore in there.

It could be the variant of the RS1 you have that has a rolled off treble response. What DAC/amp are you pairing them with?

From what I've seen $500 is about right for them on the used market. They've always retailed for $695 new though.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #33,268 of 65,634
  Hello folks

Congratulations.
Never heard the RS1, but I have the RS1i and find the bass to be of excellent quality not quantity…very clean/fast/tight and realistic.

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #33,269 of 65,634

You should definitely check out (this) thread on the RS1. There is some great Grado lore in there.

It could be the variant of the RS1 you have that has a rolled off treble response. What DAC/amp are you pairing them with?

From what I've seen $500 is about right for them on the used market. They've always retailed for $695 new though.

I'm just a audiophile newbie so haven't gotten any amps yet. I just use the Poweramp music player on my Samsung Galaxy.

My Sonorous and PSB don't really need amps to sound off the wall, I think by default they are pretty amazing.

I listened to the Grados more and I'm loving them more and more. They have such a friendly and warm sound that pulls you in gradually, it just leaves you wanting more. I don't think the RS1s are worth $700 though, as good as they are. I'm definitely thinking of getting amps just for these Grados.

Thanks for the link too :)

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #33,270 of 65,634
I'm just dropping in to say how insanely good the PS500E sounds with G-cush. L cush sounds great to but PS500E have enough bass to make this a top phone with amazing soundstage and improved treble of the g-cush. I'm in heaven srsly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back