Grado Fan Club!
Feb 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #30,631 of 66,261
the the TTB

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #30,633 of 66,261
  you know what .... after 13 hours of burn-in things improved, I do not believe much in the burn-in but this time I felt the difference, and we hope more and better.
Wgrado

There was a time when I didn't believe in burn in as well...But then my not so good sounding speakers one day decided to start sounding magical...Wild believes now. I heard that someone said those speakers need burn in and I was like yeah maybe they will change a little bit and it going to be my perception rather than the speakers, but no change of perception is that powerfull or dramatic as the sound signature change. :D

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #30,635 of 66,261

I have 31 headphones, I have 30 headphones -- just did a recount after giving some away and buying others -- and none of them cost me more than $130ish.

Advanced stage of disease, it seems. :grimacing: My max has been 32 at once, but I'm down to 30, so I've escaped "advanced stage", whew!
biggrin.gif

I'm proud of you, baby steps, leads to success!
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #30,637 of 66,261
  Oh my god you guys own so many headphones... I'm scared for my wallet ;~; And I go to university next year...
I'm so great at timing, aren't I?

You shouldn't worry about your wallet, once you'll have spent all your money on headphones, you won't need one.
wink.gif

Seriously though, I've always said that I could be perfectly happy with my SR80e as my only pair of Grados.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #30,638 of 66,261
  You shouldn't worry about your wallet, once you'll have spent all your money on headphones, you won't need one.
wink.gif

Seriously though, I've always said that I could be perfectly happy with my SR80e as my only pair of Grados.

XD Thanks. And that's good at least. I'm pretty happy with my SR80e's right now too honestly. Don't think I'll be looking for a new pair anytime soon, but who knows :p I act kinda impulsively sometimes.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #30,639 of 66,261
I'm willing to bet that 90% of people who find grados too bright or harsh are simply not wearing them correctly. the center of the driver should be in front and slightly below the opening of your ears. i can't stress how important this is to hear the headphones the way grado meant them to be heard.

Right but some people just prefer warm than bright.  

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #30,640 of 66,261
wink.gif

LMAO!!!

XD Thanks. And that's good at least. I'm pretty happy with my SR80e's right now too honestly. Don't think I'll be looking for a new pair anytime soon, but who knows :p I act kinda impulsively sometimes.

OK…good luck with that! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #30,641 of 66,261

And I've always said that I could be perfectly happy with my 325.

Today I bought my 6th pair of 325. Before that I (one at a time) owned all 3 versions of the 325is (silver, chromies, greyish) and 2 identical versions of the 325e. 

So what I said is partially true.

Not to mention I'm also looking for the MS2e.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #30,643 of 66,261
  Oh my god you guys own so many headphones... I'm scared for my wallet ;~; And I go to university next year...
I'm so great at timing, aren't I?

Ha ha....yeah, keep tabs on your wallet, lock that sucker down......j/k

Congrats on your Grado SR80e.....enjoy.

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #30,645 of 66,261
Hey guys,

I'm seeking some input.  I'm relatively new to quality headphones.  I bought a pair of Shure e3c IEMs (I guess they were the precursor to the se315s) about 12 years ago, and they bit the dust about a month ago after giving me a whole lot of use.

I wanted to try on-ear headphones this time, so based on ratings on Amazon and reviews, I bought Audio Technica ATH-M50X.

Now, it's important to note that I listen to music two ways:

1. Casually, when working or doing something.  I usually listen to electronic music, ambient, hip hop, or 80s alternative pop.

2. For enjoyment of the music and nothing else.  In this case I usually listen to progressive rock/metal, post-rock (like mogwai, godspeed, explosions in the sky), SOME (non-progressive) classic rock, or sometimes, but rarely, jazz.

For use case #1, the ATH-M50X could not have been a better choice.  For use case #2, they're not very good.

So, I'm thinking about getting another set of headphones specifically for critical listening.  My main objective here is to get better performance in the mid-range and separation.  I am OK with open-backs for this purpose.

It's really coming down to Grado vs Sennheiser.  I'm kind of leaning more towards Grado because they seem like the sound signature is a little more fun, I love the look, and I love that they're made in the USA.  Grado seems to excite me a lot more than Senns.  Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to try out anything in person.

Do you think Grado would be a good fit here?  Could you compare and contrast the differences between Grado and Sennheiser options?  Let's say, 80e vs 558,  225e vs 598?

If I go Grado, it's going to be between sr80e and sr225e.   I don't really have a budget but I'm value-conscious and always looking for the 'bang for the buck' sweet spot.  It seems like the sr225e is the way to go.  But can anyone tell me the REAL differences between the two?  Spec-wise, the main difference is 20-22khz.  I'm pretty sure I can't hear over 20khz.  But will sr225e perform significantly better?

Lastly, these are 32 ohm headphones, but browsing this thread, many people like to use amps with them.  This may be a dumb question, but why?  I would expect plenty of volume out of my phone unamped (it powers my 38 ohm audio technicas just fine).  Is it because amps will change the nature of the sound?  Should I get an amp?  It seems a lot in this thread like Little Dot I+.  What differences can I expect with this amp vs unamped?  Are Grado OK to listen to unamped?  Even if I get an amp, I still would like a headphone that is at least *decent* unamped, for versatility purposes (I do business travel and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms).

I've got sr225e, little dot i+, and some GE tubes in my Amazon cart right now, and waffling back and forth over pulling the trigger.  Help!!!

PS:  I post in this thread because I want a biased opinion :)  I've really got my heart set on Grado, I can't really explain why.  I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back