Grado Fan Club!
Jan 16, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #30,152 of 65,637
I only have the GH-1 and SR60i so can't help you there.

I can imagine how hard it is to give up the GH-1 sound. TTVJ and 4ourears still seem to have the GH-1 in stock right now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't think I'll buy a second pair. I like the idea of giving a limited edition phone as a present, I think it makes the gift more special, and this is a special headphone. I'm just wondering which would come closest to the GH1's sound. I've heard the GH1k doesn't have much bass. I'm not looking for a bass-head can, but I would like the bass not to suck. 

Basically, if there's nothing I can get that will be close to the sound of these I will have a hard time giving them up. I'm looking at the PS500e, RS1e and GS1ke. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #30,155 of 65,637
I don't think I'll buy a second pair. I like the idea of giving a limited edition phone as a present, I think it makes the gift more special, and this is a special headphone. I'm just wondering which would come closest to the GH1's sound. I've heard the GH1k doesn't have much bass. I'm not looking for a bass-head can, but I would like the bass not to suck. 

Basically, if there's nothing I can get that will be close to the sound of these I will have a hard time giving them up. I'm looking at the PS500e, RS1e and GS1ke. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've listened to the RS2e and loved the sound. It was a short 30 minute listen though I really loved it. Bass is less than the GH-1 but the mid range was still sweet.

I hear the PS500e has more bass. Can't confirm this personally, just from reading. The RS1e has a different signature from other Grado. You can try to find the thread somewhere in here.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #30,156 of 65,637
So I need a bit of advice you guys. I got a pair of GH-1's for my brother's 30th birthday in April. I ordered them early because they're a limited edition and I wasn't sure when supply would run out. Naturally, when they arrived I had to open them up and listen to them, you know, just to see if they work ; ) Well they work alright, and I've enjoyed the **** out of them for the last week or so.

I actually don't own a pair of Grados (other than these, temporarily) and I've grown quite fond of their sound. I'm going to have a hard time giving them up. So my question is this: if I give these away what other set of Grados would most closely replicate their sound? I don't mind spending a bit more if necessary. I've never heard the GS1ke but they get a lot of very positive reviews as well as a lot of **** talking. Then there's the PS1Ke (more than I want to spend).

Anyway I got the GH1 for my brother with the stock pads as well as G-cush. They sound great either way. If I can find a way to give these up, what would be the best replacement set for myself? Thanks in advance.

you realize you can buy the GH1 for $650 at BH photo, right?

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #30,158 of 65,637
I got them for that price at 4ourears. I don't understand why that comment is relevant.

I hadn't read the later posts where you said you wanted something that sounds almost exactly like the GH1, but isn't the GH1, sorry. I thought you didn't realize they were still being sold.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #30,159 of 65,637
I've listened to the RS2e and loved the sound. It was a short 30 minute listen though I really loved it. Bass is less than the GH-1 but the mid range was still sweet.

I hear the PS500e has more bass. Can't confirm this personally, just from reading. The RS1e has a different signature from other Grado. You can try to find the thread somewhere in here.

I don't understand why the RS2e is getting so much praise. It sound alright, but when you A-B it with the RS1e it falls flat on its face. Yes the RS1 is $200 more than the RS2 but after hearing them side by side I don't know how you could buy the 2 instead of the 1. Save for a couple months if you have to, they're better in every way.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #30,160 of 65,637
I don't understand why the RS2e is getting so much praise. It sound alright, but when you A-B it with the RS1e it falls flat on its face. Yes the RS1 is $200 more than the RS2 but after hearing them side by side I don't know how you could buy the 2 instead of the 1. Save for a couple months if you have to, they're better in every way.

Grado screwed up the early run RS1e and it basically tarnished their reputation and still haven't recovered. For a while the RS2e was actually better, by a wide margin, regardless of price. So a lot of people got burned by the RS1e and never gave it another shot. This issue that caused this (protruding driver too far into the earcups) has supposedly been fixed in later model RS1e, but very few have given it a shot here.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #30,161 of 65,637
Grado screwed up the early run RS1e and it basically tarnished their reputation and still haven't recovered. For a while the RS2e was actually better, by a wide margin, regardless of price. So a lot of people got burned by the RS1e and never gave it another shot. This issue that caused this (protruding driver too far into the earcups) has supposedly been fixed in later model RS1e, but very few have given it a shot here.

I haven't heard about this. I spent a lot of time listening to both sets of cans in a local shop and to me the RS1 was the clear winner. After taking the advice of head-fi I got the GH1 on order from 4ourears.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #30,163 of 65,637
  So I need a bit of advice you guys. I got a pair of GH-1's for my brother's 30th birthday in April. I ordered them early because they're a limited edition and I wasn't sure when supply would run out. Naturally, when they arrived I had to open them up and listen to them, you know, just to see if they work ; ) Well they work alright, and I've enjoyed the **** out of them for the last week or so.

I actually don't own a pair of Grados (other than these, temporarily) and I've grown quite fond of their sound. I'm going to have a hard time giving them up. So my question is this: if I give these away what other set of Grados would most closely replicate their sound? I don't mind spending a bit more if necessary. I've never heard the GS1ke but they get a lot of very positive reviews as well as a lot of **** talking. Then there's the PS1Ke (more than I want to spend).

Anyway I got the GH1 for my brother with the stock pads as well as G-cush. They sound great either way. If I can find a way to give these up, what would be the best replacement set for myself? Thanks in advance.

It is indeed possible to get another GH1 for yourself, either from the stores mentioned or as used (there is at least one classified ad for a pair here on head-fi.org).  However, I understand the desire to respect the "Limited Edition," so that your brother gets the GH1 and you get something else.

Did you listen to the GH1 with the over-ear G CUSH pads (which you would have to add and/or change yourself), or just the on-ear L bowls that it comes with?  Unlike nearly every other Grado, the GH1 is actually*improved,* at least in some ways, by going to the G CUSH pads.  They are also more comfortable.

I ask because I have been in the midst of trying to burn in my 10-month-old GS1000e headphones.  These are truly over ear (G CUSH), and so if you are amenable to over ear headphones, they would to my mind be your best candidate.  They require a PHENOMENAL amount of burnin (use) before they reach their full potential -- I am at about 170 hours, and they still continue to improve.  They are not quite as good as my GH1s, but they are getting closer.  Eventually, they have the potential of surpassing them, as they have 50mm drivers (rather than the 44mm of the GH1) and a 12-conductor cable (I think GH1 is 8).  But they would be my recommendation if you are comfortable with over-ear pads.

The PS500s are a good candidate, although I would actually recommend the RS2e as closer to the GH1 if you were committed to the original on-ear pads (putting on ear pads on the GS1000e will degrade their sound - you don't want to do that).  The PS500e is actually a wood cup, though it is encased in a metal outer cup, to reduce resonances, according to Grado.  They use this same technique on their top of the line PS1000e, as well.  But the PS500e, while having more bass than the GH1 or RS2e, also is less transparent and has less treble - it is closer to a "normal" headphone sound and has less of the Grado transparency of any other Grados.

The RS1e is liked by some, disliked by others.  Again, it may be a challenge of burn in, as they use the same 50 mm drivers as the GS1000e.  There are also new versions that have less protrusion than the 3/16" that the first RS1e had, where the tube that holds the drivers has a rim that extends above the border of the wood cup and toward the ear (the GS1000e and the PS1000e also have this protrusion).  For the RS1e, lower protrusion and higher serial number (newer) are better.  Generally though, folks prefer the older RS1i, which you can still find used.

Hope this helps!

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #30,164 of 65,637

I had the GS1Ki/e and just didn't care for either.
I've never heard the PS-500/e but from what I understand they're the darkest sounding Grado HP?

Still can't understand if you like the GH-1 so much why you just wouldn't buy another one for your self?
According to you post above, it seems like your answering your own question speaking of the RS1e, no?

I haven't heard about this. I spent a lot of time listening to both sets of cans in a local shop and to me the RS1 was the clear winner. After taking the advice of head-fi I got the GH1 on order from 4ourears.

Again, so buy the RS1e for yourself if you don't want to buy/gift the same (GH-1) headphone away.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #30,165 of 65,637
Can anyone with the 325is tell if I should buy the flat pads for it? I'm using the quarter-modded Senn pads and the bass seems quite enough for me.

yes all my grados use flats but metal chamber grados complement the flats the best in my opinion. i actually kinda preferred 325 with flats to rs1i until i got a pair of 325 with hp1000 drivers. metal chamber + flats gives you that full bass impact you need and tames the highs beautifully

Users who are viewing this thread

Back