Grado Fan Club!
Oct 17, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #28,561 of 65,633
  Jay, the MAD is your favorite amp out of all the amps you've owned, no?

it, and the bryston , the bryston maybe have been a little better "all rounder" , the MAD is definitely my favorite with grado's
BUT, the gustard is right up there now, it's every bit as good as the bryston, maybe better

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #28,563 of 65,633
and getting more and more competitive all the time, i think as personal audio, head-fi gets more popular, the technology improves, and becomes cheap too

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #28,564 of 65,633
Last night, I started listening with my BSG C-Moy, then after a few songs I switched to my Little Dot 1+, and I finally went with my Marantz 2235B headphone output, and that was it, no more switching around.

If it wasn't for the fact that I like all these different amps, I would've sold a few of them by now. I definately prefer my 3 Marantz recievers to most of my dedicated headphone amps.

That being said, I realise that I don't own high end H.P. amps, I might feel differently if I did, who knows. One thing's for sure though, I'm not the only one who likes, vintage recievers, and int amps, to power highish end headphones.

What's great about these low powered vintage recievers, is that they're cheap, so you're getting a lot for your money, and if you ever decide to resell them, you can get your money back, and maybe even more.  That's a win win in my book.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #28,565 of 65,633
Hi. Wonder if you can help? Does anyone have the Gardo PS500e and the Beyerdynamic T90? If so, can you tell me how they compare sound wise please? Thanks.

I had T90 and ps500 at the same time. T90 is neutral and has a wide soundstage. T90 is relativly bright. PS500 has a intimate soundstage with a warm, full bass. T90 are my favorite Beyerdynamic, liked them more than T1. PS500 are one of my abolute favorites, even comparing without regarding price. Both are very musical headphones.

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #28,566 of 65,633
I had T90 and ps500 at the same time. T90 is neutral and has a wide soundstage. T90 is relativly bright. PS500 has a intimate soundstage with a warm, full bass. T90 are my favorite Beyerdynamic, liked them more than T1. PS500 are one of my abolute favorites, even comparing without regarding price. Both are very musical headphones.
Great. Thanks for your thoughts. Past tense. Seems like you've moved on from both those headphones?

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #28,569 of 65,633
Yeah I'd love to give that a try but probably too heavy for my taste. Thanks.

I have wanted to get the ps1000 for a few years but have been too afraid of the weight - especially since I felt the heavy LCD-2 squeezed my head like I was the meat in a hamburger.

But I finally went for the PS1000e when I got a price, I could not resist. When I first picked it up, I thought, oh no, what have I done! They are indeed heavy! But sitting rested in a comfortable armchair, the PS1000e just disappear. I hardly notice the headphones, only the music. In fact, I think the PS1000e is as comfortable as the GS1000e when I am reclined in my favourite armchair. And GS1000 must be one of the most comfortable headphones ever built. That said, I would not go around in the house with my PS1000e on my head... 

The difference between the PS1000 and many other heavy headphones is the fact that they do not squeeze.

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #28,571 of 65,633
  With the recent talk about the RS3, I think that is what people try to achieve woodying 225 or 325.

I made this modification on a 225e with very good results. The wood is zebra wood with a leather headband and Martin Custom aluminum gimbals. For me anyway this not only improved the looks (my original goal) but has added a bit of warmth without destroying the Grado sound signature.

I know this is subjective but it's an improvement in terms of my listening enjoyment. I think the appearance speaks for itself. As I'm sure you already know there is a lot visually you can do to mod a grado headphone. I would like to have shown a photo of this mod. The headphones are beautiful. I'll do it when I have the required number of post. Although I am a new member I have owned most of the Grado line during the past 15 years. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #28,572 of 65,633
This summer I sold a bunch of headphones, including the T90. What I have left is a bunch of Grados, including the PS500. The perfect headphone for me is PS1000e, but it is in another price class.

Welcome to ''The Dark Side'' guys.
beerchug.gif

If you guys like the PS1000e's sound, but think that it's too heavy, and expensive, you might want to give the GH-1, with G-cush, a try.

The GH-1 are not only a lot cheaper than the PS1000, but they're also much lighter, and the G-cush makes them even more comfortable.

The G-cush gives the GH-1 a sound signature that is similar to that of the PS1000, and the PS1000e.

I think that they are definately worth a try.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #28,574 of 65,633
Interesting. I was led to believe that the gh1 was more like the 325 sound but a little mellowed. I have the PS500e because I wanted a slightly better bass response and a slightly mellowed treble. Does the gh1 have that sound signature then?

Welcome to ''The Dark Side'' guys.:beerchug:

If you guys like the PS1000e's sound, but think that it's too heavy, and expensive, you might want to give the GH-1, with G-cush, a try.

The GH-1 are not only a lot cheaper than the PS1000, but they're also much lighter, and the G-cush makes them even more comfortable.

The G-cush gives the GH-1 a sound signature that is similar to that of the PS1000, and the PS1000e.

I think that they are definately worth a try.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #28,575 of 65,633
nteresting. I was led to believe that the gh1 was more like the 325 sound but a little mellowed. I have the PS500e because I wanted a slightly better bass response and a slightly mellowed treble. Does the gh1 have that sound signature then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back