Grado Fan Club!
Sep 18, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #28,081 of 65,799
Grado RS1i / Grado PS500e (tie; though they sound quite different from each other)
Sony MDR Z7
Grado SR325e
Beyer DT880 Premium (250)
Audio Technica MSR7
Sennheiser Amperior
Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii
Sony MDR V6

Quote taken from the Rank The Headphones That You Own thread.

Would anyone care to play these tracks on any of their Grados and leave an impression here?

I'll be in the market for something again soon and am trying to decide between Audeze EL-8 -closed and a host of Grado models.

The songs are:

Jazz Pistols - Bugs
Jazz Pistols - Special Treatment

Russian Circles - Defecit (3:35 into the song I'm looking for somethi g that will give that moment a lot of nice forward crunchyness to the guitar whilst having some body and impact)

Oz Noy - Get Down (Studio) (I'm looking for something that will give the first bass note at 00:13 some growl)

Chad Wackerman - Star Gazing ( the entire album is stunningly recorded/mastered)

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #28,082 of 65,799
I just ordered some flat pads from TTVJ, sadly they're still waiting on a batch to arrive. I hope I won't be waiting too long. I'm not sure when the last time they had them in stock was.

My RS1 classics just arrived and they came with comfies. I'll be testing them with bowls, but I know that's not how they were meant to be heard.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #28,083 of 65,799
  You USED to be wrong.  *I* would miss the SR125i and the RS2i:

SR125i - best-sounding of Grado's current headphones that use the S pads (I hope that is what they are called... the pads they use along with the -60 and -80)... I listened to mine all day (well, all the time I spent listening that day, which was significant) a couple of days ago;

S-cushions is right.

I liked the SR125i too; big fan. It had everything in the right proportion. To me, its tonal richness matched its detail and speed.

Just waffling now:

Then when I moved to the 225e it added the e-clarity and volume, and the 225 more open sound. However it left me feeling one of two things. Either it didn't add a little extra richness to compliment the openness. Or I don't quite appreciate the 225e as much as other people. The 225e are good headphones. They can make a smooth, or fast and detailed, sound.

Also the 225 are to most people a better headphone than the 125, and I agree with that just. I prefer the l-cushion unequivocally, the 225e transparency is amazing sometimes, and they are a little more revealing. I do prefer the 225e over-all only just, but in terms of balance I preferred the 125i.

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #28,084 of 65,799
I just ordered some flat pads from TTVJ, sadly they're still waiting on a batch to arrive. I hope I won't be waiting too long. I'm not sure when the last time they had them in stock was.

My RS1 classics just arrived and they came with comfies. I'll be testing them with bowls, but I know that's not how they were meant to be heard.
congrats brother! You might wanna try the taped L- cush pads also!

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #28,085 of 65,799
Recently bought my first pair of quality headphones.  Lurked around and read some reviews on here.  Definitely happy with my purchase.  I'm coming from a Sony MDR-7506.  Dragonfly 1.2, iStreamer, and Fiio E12.  The RS2e blew me away.  I've never tried on a pair of Grado until these.  I've auditioned a Sennheiser HD 598 a few times and I just wasn't expecting this kind of fidelity.  I just wish that I could wear these out and about.  

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #28,086 of 65,799
Good Saturday morning to all you "Gradoheads"

Happy listening.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #28,087 of 65,799
It's the south shore of Lake Superior for me Ken. Madeleine Island is my favourite place to be with my RS1i's.

My dad lives there, on the bay. You can see the islands from his house. Great area.

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #28,088 of 65,799

It's possible that the vintage RS1 came with flats, but I recently bought a brand new pair of classic RS1 from LP Gear, and they came with L-cush.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #28,090 of 65,799
^yeah, I remember one of mine came with L-cush's that had slits like the flat pads do.

Anybody else seen these pads?

Mine are from about 2008. Yours are were vintage weren't they?
confused.gif

Hmmm! L-cush with slits!, I thought that only the flats had the slits, but hey!, this is Grado we're talking about, nothing surprises me anymore!
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #28,094 of 65,799

^yeah, I remember one of mine came with L-cush's that had slits like the flat pads do.

Mine are from about 2008. Yours are were vintage weren't they?
confused.gif

Hmmm! L-cush with slits!, I thought that only the flats had the slits, but hey!, this is Grado we're talking about, nothing surprises me anymore!
wink.gif

It was on my previous pair of classic Rs1, no serial numbers, circular cutouts on the gimbal where the cable rests. It had a cardboad box (not wooden one). 

I remember someone in this thread mentioning them before. It may have been you, lol. I'm curious what changes in sound signature they provide compared to standard bowls.

not sure (if any), the pads where crumbling, so I replaced them immediately...

I remember someone in this thread mentioning them before. It may have been you, lol. I'm curious what changes in sound signature they provide compared to standard bowls.

They probably sound a bit slitier...
smily_headphones1.gif

haha, you just being slitty now 
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #28,095 of 65,799

Hmmm! no offence Worms, but it looks like they're is only one slit, on there, shouldn't we chalk this one up as a boo boo!

Oh!, by the way, don't you think that the M&D MH40 on Head-Fi's front page, look a bit like HP1000 with a growth on the earcups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back