Grado Fan Club!
Jul 30, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #26,956 of 65,674
Thank you.
Did you get to try the Monarchy yet?

It will be back tomorrow, with a new transformer and caps, looking forward to firing her up.

Also have a pair of NIB HD800s on the way.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #26,957 of 65,674
It will be back tomorrow, with a new transformer and caps, looking forward to firing her up.

Also have a pair of NIB HD800s on the way.

I'm looking forward to hear what you think of it. I've been enjoying my nos dac so far.

I heard you traded it with your ps1000, but if you decide to get it again, I highly recommend the Draug 2. I've been comparing it with stock, Vanquish, and pure silver cables, and the Draug 2 just won hands down.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #26,958 of 65,674
With ten hours burn in. The GH-1 has already surpassed the RS2e. Its not only much fuller and warmer, but cleaner and smoother.  Less grain. Increased instrument separation and detail, more space and larger soundstage.  It think the GH-1 incorporates the strengths of PS500e (smooth, clean, spacious musical presentation minus the slow, heavy bass) and RS2e (punchy, lively presentation minus the lower treble and upper mid brightness/shoutyness).

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #26,959 of 65,674
  With ten hours burn in. The GH-1 has already surpassed the RS2e. Its not only much fuller and warmer, but cleaner and smoother.  Less grain. Increased instrument separation and detail, more space and larger soundstage.  It think the GH-1 incorporates the strengths of PS500e (smooth, clean, spacious musical presentation minus the slow, heavy bass) and RS2e (punchy, lively presentation minus the lower treble and upper mid brightness/shoutyness).

Well, this is very encouraging.
Mine is still in customs at Heathrow. Can just imagine them officers playing with MY headphones and saying stuff like, 'Wow, you should listen to these...oh, crap anyone know how to get black coffee out of maple?'
I may have to drive to London and make sure they're alright before I lose it completely...

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #26,960 of 65,674

Mine is still in customs at Heathrow. Can just imagine them officers playing with MY headphones and saying stuff like, 'Wow, you should listen to these...oh, crap anyone know how to get black coffee out of maple?'
I may have to drive to London and make sure they're alright before I lose it completely...

Waiting and reading all these impressions must be both gratifying and torture. 

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #26,961 of 65,674

Waiting and reading all these impressions must be both gratifying and torture. 

Yeah a bit of both - but I wouldn't want to miss any single one of them...so please keep them coming
beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #26,962 of 65,674
I love reading the posts, "..how to get coffee out of Maple"...lol...I'm sitting here listening to a bunch of new electronic music I got off Ektoplazm.com on my PS500's from my also new DX90 and I'm absolutely in awesome place.
I've had orthodynamic, open, closed, on ear and in ear earphones and this setup, these 500s are so musical I can't not tap my foot, a table or play full on air drums (drummer 45 years-god I'm old)....easily my favorites all time the PS500's!
My first pairs of 60's and the 125's in my avatar were modded and ive never had any other Grados to compare them to....i did really good on the 125's with Limba wood shells and damping stuff.... They have less bass and other things but I'm surprised how they compare...all luck by the way...totally.

The Grado sound is my favorite sound!
:gs1000smile:

ps..whats a GH1??

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #26,963 of 65,674
PS500e - slightly better bass (deeper, more robust), slightly less treble (less detail, not as crisp)

I can eq them to sound nearly the same.

My L-Cushions on the PS500e are softer and more broken in. I may swap the pads from gh1 to 500e to see what effect it may have.

Jul 30, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #26,964 of 65,674

Dang... I just LOVE your imagery here, @HenHarrier   Best post I've read today (of course, I haven't read any of my own yet today!!)

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #26,965 of 65,674
  Pure speculation, but I believe as some already mentioned, that the GH-1 is what the RS1e would have sounded like if they kept the driver flush with the cup and stayed with the 44 and not 50mm driver. 

With the Tape Mod (mine is leather, custom fitted), the GH-1 sounds even better (to my ears and preference).  I like them with Flats too when using SS amp and not tube. 

Leather, eh?  That's a nice idea, I'd love to see a photo.  Actual tape is, well...  a little ghetto...  
redface.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #26,966 of 65,674

Interesting.  I'm going to have to do another comparison...  I agree on the lower treble / upper mid brightness, but throughout my burn-in, the GH1 never quite equalled my RS2e on the detail & soundstage.  But I've put another 20-30 hours on the GH1 since I hast had 'em side by side...

At this point, the bass on my GH1 has leveled right out - no more lump in the bass that I can tell.  I don't know if I'm adjusting or the headphones (or both), but the overall bass level on the GH1 seems to have come down a touch on mine.  Whereas at first it seemed a little too much, I think the bass is better balanced with the midrange now.  The more mileage I get on these GH1, the more I am thinking about selling the RS2e.  I think my mind is made up finally.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #26,968 of 65,674
A few Storm Troopers, seemed eager to read my impressions about my GH-1, so, last night, as planned, I fired up my vintage Marantz 2226B, and my Yamaha DVD-S 1800, grabed that beautyful box containing my GH-1, and then nothing...I couldn't bring myself to break that seal...I'm very sorry if I've let some of you down. trust me, I feel terrible!
frown.gif

I'm just kidding!, you should see your faces...it's priceless. I couldn't help myself...sorry guys! The GH-1's seal is now, officially broken!

For different reasons, I had set the bar pretty high for the GH-1. Well, within the first few seconds of listening to my, ''Best Audiophile (female) Voices Vol 5'' CD, I could tell that the GH-1 are VERY good sounding headphones.

Grado says that the GH-1 sits between the RS2e, and the RS1e, so I thought I'd do a quick comparison with my RS1, wich, by the way, are still in their burn in process.

They have deeper bass than the RS1, the mids are comparable, to the RS1, the GH-1 don't have quite as much treble extension as the RS1, but it's definately not rolled off. The soundstage seems similar to that of the RS1, meaning that it's adequate.

I'd say that after the PS500 (never heard the e version) the GH-1 are probably the most forgiving Grados that I've heard. That's not to say that they'll gloss over everything. They won't make chicken soup, out of chicken poop!

As you know, I'm VERY disapointed with the GH-1 presentation, and finding out that the gimbals are made of plastic, doesn't help either. That being said, and keeping in mind that it's still early in the game for me, and the GH-1, I can say that I am VERY impressed with the GH-1's sound quality.

Joseph, I want to thank you Buddy, your favorable impressions, and the assertiveness with wich you were saying that I would like the GH-1, are the main reasons why I went ahead, and broke that seal, so thank you, Buddy. 
beerchug.gif

Oh!, and I will post this, and my following impressions, in the new GH-1 thread .                           

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #26,969 of 65,674
ArsTechnica did an investigation into "audiophile network cables".  

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/even-vegas-strangers-agree-340-audiophile-cables-make-no-difference/

This is Grado related because they used RS2e headphones for the test.

Pretty sweet for Grado to be selected!

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #26,970 of 65,674

Quote:
  Joseph, I want to thank you Buddy, your favorable impressions, and the assertiveness with wich you were saying that I would like the GH-1, are the main reasons why I went ahead, and broke that seal, so thank you, Buddy. 
size]

Oh!, and I will post this, and my following impressions, in the new GH-1 thread .                           

Your welcome, and I'm glad your first impression of the GH-1 was positive!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back