Grado Fan Club!
Jul 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #26,866 of 65,667
  Your welcome, and I'm glad you decided to compare the two in "stock" form.
That was an excellent write up of your opinion on both the RS2e/GH-1 and I appreciate your opinion. As of now I only have about 12-14hrs on the GH-1's so I have plenty of time before drawing any conclusions but I will say I'm enjoying them very much so far and can already hear their potential and what you've pointed out about their sound-signature in a lesser degree.
Once again, excellent expression of your opinion/impressions of the GH-1's!
I try my best to give my impressions/opinions/comparisons but most of the time I am at a loss of words and find it hard to express/write a review of what I'm hearing. 
Now…do you have a PS500 to compare to the GH-1's??? This would be great if you did and I would love to read it!
beerchug.gif

Alas, I do not own the PS500, or any other Grado except the GR8.  I would be very interested in that comparison too.

I suppose I should point out that in absolute terms, much of what I describe in my comparison review is fairly subtle, and intended to parse out the relative differences in those two headphones.  In absolute terms, the differences I note (if you want to call them that) are pretty subtle and might not even be noticeable in standalone listening without direct A-B comparison.  Today I brought the GH1's in to the office and left the RS2e at home.  Listening to them on their own today, I have absolutely zero complaints or reservations about possibly missing something which might sound a tiny bit better on the RS2e.  The GH1's are stunning performers in their own right.

At ~100 hours now, they are sounding even better than yesterday (I let them rest overnight).  I just put on the Wes Montgomery track again to see if the bass lump is still there, and I have to say this time it's not nearly as noticeable as it was at ~65 or 80 hours, which was the last time I made notes with this track.  Maaaybe there's a touch of a bump there still but I have to struggle to hear it now (enough that I might be imagining it), so I'd say it's basically gone at this point.  I figured it might take a bit longer to settle all the way - maybe the bass just keeps getting better from here?

Anyway, I'm happy enough with the sound at this point that I'm going to stop burning in and just use them for regular listening from now on.

I'll add one last point for thought:  If I had owned the GH1 first, I don't think I would've felt any interest in the RS2e.  However, I had the RS2e first, and obviously was interested in finding something better...

happy_face1.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #26,867 of 65,667
  An outstanding review hifizen, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that... well done
beerchug.gif

Heheheh torn is a good way to describe the predicament..
One question...
"Is there any characteristic acoustic difference between the Mahogany of the RS2e and the Maple of the GH1 that is audible/distinguishable?

Thnx and enjoy them cans
L3000.gif

You're most welcome!

I don't think there's any particular woody characteristic in the sound which might betray the species... I suppose if one listened to a hundred different models made with Mahogany, and then switched to Maple, you might notice what it is that makes the two woods different, but in this case I can't tell what's down to the wood, and what's down to the driver differences.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #26,868 of 65,667
Great read. I'm waiting for the ship to dock or plane to land or whatever method of transport 'my' GH1s will cross the Atlantic on or in (feels like mule-train with every loooonnnnggg hour that passes) and ridiculously excited. Maybe I should have heeded all those Head-fi warnings about becoming addicted, wasting days/weeks/months searching for musical nirvana, and entering a wallet-emptying phase of life that I may never recover from - but like I said, ridiculously excited right now, especially after reading this! I guess now I need to go find out what a 'tape mod' is though... 
bigsmile_face.gif

Well, you sure picked a good one to get addicted to.  I've heard the HD800, LCD-XC, LCD-3, and numerous other high-end headphones, and don't feel I'm missing anything.  The Grado's have a magical ability to render very lifelike and natural, musically engaging sound.  Others may present a more clinically correct sound in some way... more sub-bass or whatever, but I haven't found another headphone that makes music the way the Grados do.  The only other headphone I've come across which really blew my mind is the A-T W5k, which somehow manages to extract absolutely jaw-dropping micro detail and soundstage without the aid of a boosted treble.  I haven't put them up against the GH1 side-by-side yet, but they're quite a different animal.

Give your GH1 a hundred hours to break in, and I suspect you'll be unable to put them away.

beerchug.gif

Oh - PS:  tape mod = taped bowls.  See http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads for some other earpad tweaks.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #26,869 of 65,667

Mmm I did that with my 225e. I bought them in a 225i carry case bundle package, and they turned out to be e-drivers. I left them overnight on a gentle sound source. Having said that as we know e-drivers sound run in when you get them, but I did it anyway. I was completely in the dark about e-drivers in i-headphones at this point anyway. Also with me having made a 225i purchase I did not have the Grado page that says run them in slowly.

However I can't see it doing them any harm, and it certainly should not. Besides all that, I often listen to them for hours on end anyway, so what is the difference.

I can't help wishing a big congratulations to everyone who has managed to acquire their GH-1.

Thanks.  I had not heard that the e-series are supposed to sound broken in when new...   I have definitely heard some very positive changes in the GH1 through the first 100 hours, keeping the RS2e as constant reference point.  They are sounding positively awesome today.  In fact, they sound so friggin good on everything I listen to, it boggles the mind.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #26,870 of 65,667
Thanks.  I had not heard that the e-series are supposed to sound broken in when new...   I have definitely heard some very positive changes in the GH1 through the first 100 hours, keeping the RS2e as constant reference point.  They are sounding positively awesome today.  In fact, they sound so friggin good on everything I listen to, it boggles the mind.

Does the RS2e still have a larger soundstage and more detail or has the GH1 surpassed or equalled with burn in?

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #26,871 of 65,667
After about 8 hours of burn in, the mids and highs seem a little more open and there is no sibilance in the songs I listened to prior.

I listened to them for a couple hours and they pretty well detailed and sweet sounding.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #26,872 of 65,667

I'm willing to accept that possibility regarding my RS1i, but please tell me that you don't find your GH-1 compressed and, or, lacking of decay.
frown.gif

Even now with about another 2hrs on them (only a total of about 14hrs) I find the mid-range opened some, so yes, at first they may sound compressed (like any other new Grado) until they open up/burn-in. Right out of the box I found the decay to be very nice and its just getting better and better with time. I wouldn't worry, I have a funny feeling your really going to enjoy these HP's. 
size]

Alas, I do not own the PS500, or any other Grado except the GR8.  I would be very interested in that comparison too.

I suppose I should point out that in absolute terms, much of what I describe in my comparison review is fairly subtle, and intended to parse out the relative differences in those two headphones.  In absolute terms, the differences I note (if you want to call them that) are pretty subtle and might not even be noticeable in standalone listening without direct A-B comparison.  Today I brought the GH1's in to the office and left the RS2e at home.  Listening to them on their own today, I have absolutely zero complaints or reservations about possibly missing something which might sound a tiny bit better on the RS2e.  The GH1's are stunning performers in their own right.

At ~100 hours now, they are sounding even better than yesterday (I let them rest overnight).  I just put on the Wes Montgomery track again to see if the bass lump is still there, and I have to say this time it's not nearly as noticeable as it was at ~65 or 80 hours, which was the last time I made notes with this track.  Maaaybe there's a touch of a bump there still but I have to struggle to hear it now (enough that I might be imagining it), so I'd say it's basically gone at this point.  I figured it might take a bit longer to settle all the way - maybe the bass just keeps getting better from here?

Anyway, I'm happy enough with the sound at this point that I'm going to stop burning in and just use them for regular listening from now on.

I'll add one last point for thought:  If I had owned the GH1 first, I don't think I would've felt any interest in the RS2e.  However, I had the RS2e first, and obviously was interested in finding something better...

happy_face1.gif

I'm happy with the sound at 14hrs…I can't wait until these are sufficiently burned-in.
At that point I will try my best to express the differences between the RS1i/GH-1.
Glad your really enjoying the GH-1…and I'm very glad I ordered them!
beerchug.gif

I've heard the HD800, LCD-XC, LCD-3, and numerous other high-end headphones, and don't feel I'm missing anything.  The Grado's have a magical ability to render very lifelike and natural, musically engaging sound.  Others may present a more clinically correct sound in some way... more sub-bass or whatever, but I haven't found another headphone that makes music the way the Grados do.  

I agree 100%
I've had some top of the line HP's from the brands you mentioned above, and while listening to them I couldn't wait to put my Grados on 
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #26,873 of 65,667
  Can't believe I placed an order for the GH1. I guess I will be selling the RS2e if the GH1 is what everyone says it is. 

Don't be so sure...  
wink_face.gif

biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #26,874 of 65,667
Does the RS2e still have a larger soundstage and more detail or has the GH1 surpassed or equalled with burn in?

Last I had them side-by-side, the RS2e soundstage and detail both still surpassed the GH1 (@ 80-90 hours).  It's not a huge difference though - the GH1 is very capable on it's own, and I really find the difference isn't that especially noticeable unless I'm swapping back and forth.

Listening more today without the RS2e around for comparison, I was noticing lots of great detail in familiar recordings which had not come across (or I had not noticed) through the RS2e.  But maybe that's just what happens when a new headphone presents things a little differently - whatever changed stands out as unfamiliar.  Even at 100hrs, it seems the GH1s are still coming to life more and more - the mids were sounding just incredible today.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #26,875 of 65,667

Yeah I think I might have to go back and edit that. Me saying e-series sound broken in is not quite accurate. They sound broken in compared to older Grado generations, when compared from new. My 225e (that I thought were i-series) I assumed were run-in when I received them. I figured they had been bought once and returned to Amazon. Then I bought them. Anyway I just left them over-night to be sure, for maybe three nights. I think they probably did improve over time, but I wasn't watching critically. [It would explain why when I received them, that I think I had a slight preference for my previous SR125i. Either that or it was just a case of, 'better the devil you know' or emotional attachment.]

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #26,876 of 65,667
Quote:
  A person who sold me the 500e told me they are bassy.Sure,more than 80i but you don't feel the vibration still.So, not that great for hip-hop,dubstep etc.I don't even know if i got a bad driver or they don't hold to big bass coming from even chill dub step,the driver rattles like it's bad,if i switch to ligher on bass styles everything goes back to normal.So still not sure if i should fix them or it's normal. But rock, jazz, female vocals, opera, Coltrane,Netrebko vocals...-eargasm! P.S. They love the last Brian Wilson album:))

Quote:

They shouldn't rattle at all 
frown.gif

I can feel the pressure on my ear drum from bass with the PS500e, even without turning it up especially loud. It's not huge on bass, but there is definitely plenty there. More would be too much for me I think, I was surprised by it.

Try to audition some in a shop and see if they sound the same as yours maybe?

I primarily use my PS500e with a Sony F807 and with the clearbass set at +5 (out of 10) they positively rumble on my ears,i can feel them pushing air between the chamber and my ears and am always stunned just how far down they reach in the sub bass frequencies, hitting hard without any loss of detail or distortion (especially with genres like IDM,Hip Hop,Techno etc)

the point being that now and then when i over drive them (usually with my portable amp set louder than it should be) all of my Grado headphones fall prey to Grattle (grattle happens when the diaphragm inside an earpiece creases, or when hair or other debris gets stuck in the earpiece.) which is not uncommon at all,just google the word 'Grattle' and you'll find numerous pages of similar experiences.

The good news is that the fix is simple. (source http://www.ehow.com/how_7164160_do-fix-grado-headphone-rattle_.html )

1.Remove the foam pad around the earpiece, and use tweezers or your fingers to remove any hair or debris from the headphone speaker.

2.Gently blow into the grille side of the earpiece in an attempt to clear any remaining hair or debris.

3.Play bass-heavy music loudly for half an hour or so to fix a creased diaphragm or displace internal debris. Don't set the volume so loud that the sound distorts; this could damage your headphones.

4.To pull out the crease in the headphone's diaphragm, remove the foam pad from the earpiece, and very gently suck the speaker mesh with your mouth. You might hear a popping sound as the diaphragm returns to normal. Use a hair dryer about 2 inches away from the earpiece for 15 to 20 seconds to set the repaired diaphragm in position, so the crease does not recur.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #26,877 of 65,667
@hifizen: Thanks. I just had to have them when I saw them advertised. I bought some used GR10s recently and just love the sound. Years and years ago I (briefly) heard Grados in Radfords Hi-Fi in Bath (closed down years ago) and just remember that feeling of being so connected to the music - I was using Naim amps and Mission floorstanders at home, but these Grados (this was mid 1990s so probably the RS1?) just sounded absolutely beautiful in a way I'd never heard before. Always hankered for a pair since but never been able to afford them...got some money at the moment, thought I'd scratch that itch: 20 years is a long enough wait!
100 hours? Oh the chore, the chore
L3000.gif

I suspect the hours will fly by...

And thanks for the link to the mod - G cushions seems to be another way to go? Mind you, I think maybe I should just relax and enjoy the music through them before I start on the tweaking route...

Cheers

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #26,878 of 65,667

I primarily use my PS500e with a Sony F807 and with the clearbass set at +5 (out of 10) they positively rumble on my ears,i can feel them pushing air between the chamber and my ears and am always stunned just how far down they reach in the sub bass frequencies, hitting hard without any loss of detail or distortion (especially with genres like IDM,Hip Hop,Techno etc)

the point being that now and then when i over drive them (usually with my portable amp set louder than it should be) all of my Grado headphones fall prey to Grattle (grattle happens when the diaphragm inside an earpiece creases, or when hair or other debris gets stuck in the earpiece.) which is not uncommon at all,just google the word 'Grattle' and you'll find numerous pages of similar experiences.

The good news is that the fix is simple. (source http://www.ehow.com/how_7164160_do-fix-grado-headphone-rattle_.html )

1.Remove the foam pad around the earpiece, and use tweezers or your fingers to remove any hair or debris from the headphone speaker.

2.Gently blow into the grille side of the earpiece in an attempt to clear any remaining hair or debris.

3.Play bass-heavy music loudly for half an hour or so to fix a creased diaphragm or displace internal debris. Don't set the volume so loud that the sound distorts; this could damage your headphones.

4.To pull out the crease in the headphone's diaphragm, remove the foam pad from the earpiece, and very gently suck the speaker mesh with your mouth. You might hear a popping sound as the diaphragm returns to normal. Use a hair dryer about 2 inches away from the earpiece for 15 to 20 seconds to set the repaired diaphragm in position, so the crease does not recur.

Thats interesting, I had heard of grattle before but in around 10yrs of using grado headphones I have never experienced it. I don't turn the headphone up enough I guess.

I'm going to bookmark that though incase I ever do :)

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #26,879 of 65,667
I'm not surprised, my Marantz 2220B and 2226B, both sound awesome, and everytime I use their heaphone outputs, I start to wonder why I have bought so many dedicated HP amps.

Who am I kidding, I know why...cause I'm at an advanced stage of the desiese, that's why!. We should start a support group...don't you think so, John! :wink:

"My name is John, and I am a Grado addict. It has been 17 days since my last Grado purchase, and it has not arrived yet. It is a pair of Bushmills X from Russia, not due till next month. Meanwhile, other Grados call out like a Sirens to me and my wallet!"

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #26,880 of 65,667
"My name is John, and I am a Grado addict. It has been 17 days since my last Grado purchase, and it has not arrived yet. It is a pair of Bushmills X from Russia, not due till next month. Meanwhile, other Grados call out like a Sirens to me and my wallet!"

I`ve went on and off the Grado train, right now I`m tempted by the Bushmill`s also. BTW, just how closed are these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back