Grado Fan Club!
Jul 13, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #26,356 of 65,636
wow so after that heated ebay bushmill grado auction i decided I'm sure HEADFI was already following it. sure enough i see this post. i was one of the bidders who went and then stopped and realized it was going a little to rich for my taste, would love to add this to my grado collection. however after seeing the final price and now reading who won it, im glad to see that it will go to a home that will enjoy it! condolences for the loss and congrats to the win! 

I bought an hd 598, hd 650 and akg 240 to help mend my wounds sustained in losing the auction.....
It did little to soften the blow

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #26,357 of 65,636
  wow so after that heated ebay bushmill grado auction i decided I'm sure HEADFI was already following it. sure enough i see this post. i was one of the bidders who went and then stopped and realized it was going a little to rich for my taste, would love to add this to my grado collection. however after seeing the final price and now reading who won it, im glad to see that it will go to a home that will enjoy it! condolences for the loss and congrats to the win! 

How many people here actually bid on that one pair..? lol

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #26,358 of 65,636
The last time I bid and won on a Grado Bushmills X eBay auction, the price was $860, so I was prepared.  Unfortunately, bidding stayed really low until the last minute or so, and I think the seller after seeing days of $400 bids, decided to sell it to a friend for more, then did NOT cancel his auction.  Since I doubt he sold it to his friend for the auction price of double the $400+  it sat at for days, I think he is ruing taking it off of eBay.  But since he didn't cancel the auction, I won, paid, then had to wait over two weeks for eBay's slow process of waiting for promised delivery, waiting a few more days, me then contacting the seller, waiting, eBay then contacting the seller, waiting, then and only then eBay refunding my money (!)  So I actually almost didn't bid on this one.

To date, the seller (in Russia, no less) has already sent it, less than 18 hours after the bid ended, and sent me a tracking number.  He has high feedback, so I am more in hopes of actually getting this one!

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #26,359 of 65,636
  The last time I bid and won on a Grado Bushmills X eBay auction, the price was $860, so I was prepared.  Unfortunately, bidding stayed really low until the last minute or so, and I think the seller after seeing days of $400 bids, decided to sell it to a friend for more, then did NOT cancel his auction.  Since I doubt he sold it to his friend for the auction price of double the $400+  it sat at for days, I think he is ruing taking it off of eBay.  But since he didn't cancel the auction, I won, paid, then had to wait over two weeks for eBay's slow process of waiting for promised delivery, waiting a few more days, me then contacting the seller, waiting, eBay then contacting the seller, waiting, then and only then eBay refunding my money (!)  So I actually almost didn't bid on this one.

To date, the seller (in Russia, no less) has already sent it, less than 18 hours after the bid ended, and sent me a tracking number.  He has high feedback, so I am more in hopes of actually getting this one!

I hope you get it soon John!

and not got your package misdelivered to a whole different continent, like my last eBay item purchase was.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #26,360 of 65,636

beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #26,361 of 65,636
and not got your package misdelivered to a whole different continent, like my last eBay item purchase was.

My last purchase turned out to be a scam, so i'd sign for different continent :p

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #26,363 of 65,636

Yeah, the seller is a really nice guy. His initial listing was.... rough, so I translated it into proper English for him and he adjusted the description. Sent me

When he shipped your bushmills he sent me a Alessandro headband to try on my broken 325i. I've no doubt he's legit, his feedback is all 'buyer' not seller; so ebay restricted him and he can't sell more until you receive yours. As he said, and I'm directly quoting here, "I want sell Beyerdinamic DT931 and DT770(80). You know winner? Maybe you see him you ask please to give me positive feedback quick so I can sell more."

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #26,364 of 65,636
I just got my new pair of RS1i's in, I had a pair once upon a time, I should have never sold them:) They are sooo good and sound just how I remember them! I wasn't planning on purchasing these though and I am going to sell my HF-2's to help fund this. So if you are interested just PM and I will give you a great deal on some fantastic headphones. They will be listed in the FS forum in a day or so...Thanks!

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #26,365 of 65,636
Yeah, the seller is a really nice guy. His initial listing was.... rough, so I translated it into proper English for him and he adjusted the description. Sent me

When he shipped your bushmills he sent me a Alessandro headband to try on my broken 325i. I've no doubt he's legit, his feedback is all 'buyer' not seller; so ebay restricted him and he can't sell more until you receive yours. As he said, and I'm directly quoting here, "I want sell Beyerdinamic DT931 and DT770(80). You know winner? Maybe you see him you ask please to give me positive feedback quick so I can sell more."

So far the seller has been STELLAR.  He not only sent me a tracking number in well under a day from sale, he also sent a link to the (Russian) website associated with the delivery service.  Be glad to write him great feedback when I get the item (due July 31 - August 18).

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #26,366 of 65,636
If Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy....

One key to coexistence of happiness and headphones in our marriage was the Headphone Approval Price List that my wife thoughtfully prepared for me...

I am happy to now send it to you for your use.

In fact, I will send it to your wives (Dear Mrs. Wildcat, Mrs. joseph69,...)

Yeah that's what I'll do.

Unless you PayPal me the price of a new PS1000, that's what I'll do!!!

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #26,367 of 65,636
  There seems to be so many torn between the PS500e, SR325e and recently the RS2e.  So I decided to post some impressions and help those avoid the trouble of trying all three. 

Grado RS1e, RS2e, PS500e, & 325e Impressions 

Bass: 500e>RS1e>325e>RS2e
And yet the RS2e is the punchiest of them all.  Why? The RS2e has more mid bass and treble.
The other three has more lower bass that tends the cloud the mids.

Treble: RS2e>325e>500e>RS1e
And yet the RS2e wooden tone makes the treble tone better than the 325e.

Mids: RS2e>500e>325e>RS1e
Why the RS2e again. The lower bass bleeds into the 500e and 325e. The RS2e is slightly thinner than the others but it has an airer and cleaner mids. 

Upper Mids: RS1e>500e>325e>RS2e
This one is the most tricky.  While the RS2e is the brightest treble of the bunch, it is the least shouty to my ears. My conclusion is that it has less upper mid spike.

Detail: 500e>RS1e>RS2e>325e.
The 500e is very clean and detailed. The RS1e detail is hard to make out because of the lack of treble but its there, be it hidden. 

Soundstage (width and depth): 500e>RS2e>325e (left out RS1e because it’s so hard to tell from memory). Without the treble the RS1e sounds like it has very little soundstage but in reality it’s pretty wide.

Musicality (fun factor): RS2e>500e>325e>RS1e
As I said, the 325e is most balanced, but it just lacks that fun factor. It has all the Gradoness but yet the magic is not there like the RS2e. The RS2e has the most classic mid bass and treble Grado sound. 

My Pick 
If it’s not already obvious, it’s the RS2e.  Why?  Couple reasons.
The bass retains the Grado punchiness and snap.  With the other three, the bass sounds too thick and slow. 
The treble while being the brightest is not an issue because I can always tame it with Tape Mod or with Flats.  Plus it gives it the airiness that the other three lacks. 
The mids is here the reason why it’s my favorite.  Grado Labs has dialed down the upper mids in the RS2e perfectly.  Meaning out of the four, it has the least shoutiness.  This has always been my problem with Grados.  Bass you can enhance with Pape mod or Flats which at the same time tames the treble, but you can’t really do anything with the upper mids spike but bare it when it happens. But here, they have finally tamed it down to perfectly. 
So what you get is the punchy and snappy mid groovy bass with a treble that gives you the airiness and guitar crunch with mids that are not compromised by shoutiness. 
Lastly, I love Flats and the sound signature it gives Grados, and the RS2e is the only one that can still utilize the Flats and sound great ( because out of all three it has the least amount of bass and the most amount of treble).  It gives me the option to use Bowls with Tape Mod with Tubes Amp (Lyr 2) and Flats with iPhone and portable dac/amp.
The Flats just don’t work with the other three.  The bass and mids become too thick and warm in a bad way. Therefore, the RS2e is my second favorite Grado, next to the Vintage Grado RS1.

Also posted in Grado Fan Club. 

I have to agree with 95% of what sling5s review of all these, having own the 325e and rs2e, and audition ps500e for like, 20 minutes or so, plus 10 minutes of rs1e. Audition is not enough I know for the last two, but his review nails it down pat.

rs2e mid-bass punch the hardest of them four i feel is true, while it's the least full in the midrange between 325e ps500e and rs2e.
I think I like the mids on my 325e the best over the four, and that's the only point i disagree with sling5s. And even then, his midrange description still rings true, rs2e while being the thinnest, has the clearest mids of the four.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #26,368 of 65,636
  One key to coexistence of happiness and headphones in our marriage was the Headphone Approval Price List that my wife thoughtfully prepared for me...

I am happy to now send it to you for your use.

In fact, I will send it to your wives (Dear Mrs. Wildcat, Mrs. joseph69,...)

Yeah that's what I'll do.

Unless you PayPal me the price of a new PS1000, that's what I'll do!!!

Hah!

I get away with the Grado's "what these old things?"
When she sees me taking a 1950's aircraft controller looking headphone out of a cardboard box she doesn't bat an eye, if I turned up home with an aluminium chest containing a pair or T1s she would go nuts :p

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #26,370 of 65,636
wow i cant believe a grado bushmills went for $1k. thats crazy to me. especially when i'm pretty sure there's still an sr200 with hp1k drivers on the for sale forum for half of that

In my opinion, the HP1k are overrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back