Grado Fan Club!
Jul 12, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #26,311 of 65,564
  I have heard a lot of great things about these cans.

I would love to hear them.....they are on my radar, but they are a small blip, way out there  
tongue.gif

They are one of the few headphones that have peaked my interest.

The HE1000s are great, even score best of all my headphones on my incessant 3-way compares (link to my HE1000 review in my signature)

But the PS1000s are Way More FUN!!! I just love their transparency and speed.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #26,312 of 65,564

I would love to hear them.....they are on my radar, but they are a small blip, way out there  
tongue.gif

The HE1000s are great, even score best of all my headphones on my incessant 3-way compares (link to my HE1000 review in my signature)

Thanks.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #26,313 of 65,564
  Question: is there a big difference in sq and signature between the original RS2 and the RS2e?
Thanks in advance...

I second that question!

Currently I own the RS2i with G cushion pads + enabled X-Bass from the micro iDSD it's now perfect bass impact, I would wonder if the RS2e would be a upgrade in terms of SQ.

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #26,314 of 65,564
When I compared all 13 Grados that I had about a month ago (see the link in my signature), my scoring was such that RS2I came out on top (doesn't mean it was the best or the most liked, but it does mean that it overall scored higher than the others in comparison with other headphones on each of the 10 acoustic criteria).

So I took my RS2i to my Grado store and compared it to the RS2e that they had there.

The RS2e was even better than the RS2i.

So I bought it!

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #26,316 of 65,564

tongue.gif

Piqued.

Haha, lol, it must be some OCD in me.

Ha!

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #26,317 of 65,564
When I compared all 13 Grados that I had about a month ago (see the link in my signature), my scoring was such that RS2I came out on top (doesn't mean it was the best or the most liked, but it does mean that it overall scored higher than the others in comparison with other headphones on each of the 10 acoustic criteria).

So I took my RS2i to my Grado store and compared it to the RS2e that they had there.

The RS2e was even better than the RS2i.

So I bought it!

Long time lurker, 1st time poster, signed up 5 minutes ago;
Owning that many grados I guess you're an expert; whenever I go Googled "best headphones for beatles music" the answer was always grado, even from grado haters, and consensus is a rarity in the audiophile forums from what I've seen.
I bought my 1st pair, ebay listing said 'grado gold 325 2009' but i think they are 325is from 2006.
They arrived broken, I'm hoping you can tell me where to get a new connecting piece to hold on the left side, as they will not stay on and slip off.
Also, can you tell me of some nice cushions? These came with the "grado L cushion" but I wish for something with a bit more depth.
thank you for any advice!!!!!

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #26,318 of 65,564
Welcome!!
Pretty sure thats a SR325i.  Can't tell the year it was made though.  They made the big gold earcups for a while.  I tried G-cush pads on that era 325 and it was not a good match... WAAAY too bright,  piercing and edgy in the upper mids.

If its comfort you are after and you are trying to get the cheese-cloth off your ears, you might want to re-position the phones so they are down and forward a bit so they are more on your upper jaw/cheek area.  You don't want your ear to "fall" inside the foam bowl area.   John wears them forward and down when he's tuning his designs.

I have seen people use 10-15 minute epoxy to re-attach the plastic to the metal on that part.  Just dab on a bit of it on metal and re-insert.  You might want to take advantage of your situation and upgrade the headband padding.... worth considering IMHO.

Good Luck and welcome to HF!!

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #26,319 of 65,564

Long time lurker, 1st time poster, signed up 5 minutes ago;
Owning that many grados I guess you're an expert; whenever I go Googled "best headphones for beatles music" the answer was always grado, even from grado haters, and consensus is a rarity in the audiophile forums from what I've seen.
I bought my 1st pair, ebay listing said 'grado gold 325 2009' but i think they are 325is from 2006.
They arrived broken, I'm hoping you can tell me where to get a new connecting piece to hold on the left side, as they will not stay on and slip off.
Also, can you tell me of some nice cushions? These came with the "grado L cushion" but I wish for something with a bit more depth.

thank you for any advice!!!!!

Ouch, first I would be trying to send them back to the seller for a refund if they arrived in that condition, PayPal are usually pretty supportive with disputes.

The 'e' series of the 325 is widely considered an improvement if you can get your money back and pick a pair of 325e headphones up instead.

Failing that, you could get in touch with Grado at http://www.gradolabs.com/contact-us and ask them if they can help, I can't imagine it would be cheap though.

The PS1000 pads are bigger but change the sound, you can also fit Sennheiser 414 pads but these also change the sound. If I were you I would let my ears break in :p

Good luck getting sorted out! I hope you manage to get them fixed up or replaced.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #26,320 of 65,564

Ouch, first I would be trying to send them back to the seller for a refund if they arrived in that condition, PayPal are usually pretty supportive with disputes.

The 'e' series of the 325 is widely considered an improvement if you can get your money back and pick a pair of 325e headphones up instead.

Failing that, you could get in touch with Grado at http://www.gradolabs.com/contact-us and ask them if they can help, I can't imagine it would be cheap though.

The RS1000 pads are bigger but change the sound, you can also fit Sennheiser 414 pads but these also change the sound. If I were you I would let my ears break in :p

Good luck getting sorted out! I hope you manage to get them fixed up or replaced.

I think you mean GS1000...   The "Grado RS1000" was an april fools joke from a long time ago... if you google it you can still find that thread, but its not an actual model.  LOL

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #26,321 of 65,564
  I think you mean GS1000...   The "Grado RS1000" was an april fools joke from a long time ago... if you google it you can still find that thread, but its not an actual model.  LOL

Sorry, you are right, I meant PS1000, typo :p

Just fixed it, will deny everything!

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #26,322 of 65,564
Welcome!!
Pretty sure thats a SR325i.  Can't tell the year it was made though.  They made the big gold earcups for a while.  I tried G-cush pads on that era 325 and it was not a good match... WAAAY too bright,  piercing and edgy in the upper mids.

If its comfort you are after and you are trying to get the cheese-cloth off your ears, you might want to re-position the phones so they are down and forward a bit so they are more on your upper jaw/cheek area.  You don't want your ear to "fall" inside the foam bowl area.   John wears them forward and down when he's tuning his designs.

I have seen people use 10-15 minute epoxy to re-attach the plastic to the metal on that part.  Just dab on a bit of it on metal and re-insert.  You might want to take advantage of your situation and upgrade the headband padding.... worth considering IMHO.

wow, thanks so much for the positioning advice!
Welcome!!

Wow, thanks so much for the positioning advice! Where would I find headband upgrades? I'm not just new to grado, but all matters audio. Only been collecting for 2 months; as you'll see from my collection, at least what I will admit to buying (heh-hem ...beats) I realized pretty quickly Sony wasn't the be-all end-all as I had come into this interest assuming.
So in my long 2 month membership in the audio world I've acquired:
Sony-
Mdr10r black
mdr10rncip white
mdr1r black
mdr1rmk2 japanese import silver
Mdr1a japanese silver import
ps gold glacier white headset
mdrzx770bn
Mdrzx450xb
Mdrzx600xb
Mdrzx950xb
mdrzx300xb

Audio-technica -
AthM50x
Athesw9
AthANC27
Athws55brd
Athes7

Vmoda-lp crossfade

Polk hinge
Polk ultra focus 3000

Sennheiser momentum ivory

Fiio
e6
e7
e7k
e9
e10
e11
e11k
e12
e17
e18
A3

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #26,323 of 65,564

Yeah, I wasn't sure I should return because I got a good deal I think ($203 + $10 s&h) so I figured even after repairs it'd be a fair score.
is there a compendium or chart showing grado e vs I and just a series comparison?
I guess u had it backwards as I thought all I series were higher regarded than e, whether is the sr, rs, or gs.

My real regret is not saving my money for the ebay listing that's about to end (see screenshot) They look really sweet. Shame, 12 hours ago bidding was at 400 and seller said he'd sell to me for 470. I thought my highest bid of 400 would win so I declined. Regretting that hard and with a stomach ache now.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #26,324 of 65,564
Yeah, I wasn't sure I should return because I got a good deal I think ($203 + $10 s&h) so I figured even after repairs it'd be a fair score.
is there a compendium or chart showing grado e vs I and just a series comparison?
I guess u had it backwards as I thought all I series were higher regarded than e, whether is the sr, rs, or gs.

My real regret is not saving my money for the ebay listing that's about to end (see screenshot) They look really sweet. Shame, 12 hours ago bidding was at 400 and seller said he'd sell to me for 470. I thought my highest bid of 400 would win so I declined. Regretting that hard and with a stomach ache now.

I'm sorry.
again, I'm new to head-fi
this post of mine I'm quoting was intended for "rivaldealer"

If I am incorrectly doing anything, or doing something ppl tend to frown upon, please correct me, as I'm ignorant to forum proprietary and unwritten rules.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #26,325 of 65,564
I am not sure they are rs2e looking at them.
Bushmills has hit $480 :-O
http://ebay.com/itm/181793745483

$835.05/28-minutes/44-bids now!

See, now thats what I love about the PS1K's…every HP I compared them too weren't nearly as fun!
This changes thing around for my wanting too hear the HE-1000 because I probably wouldn't like them as much as the PS1K's.

Haha, lol, it must be some OCD in me.

I think we all have a bit of OCD…for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back