Grado Fan Club!
Apr 27, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #24,406 of 65,645
O.K. I mean, we all know that I'm hooked. I am bound not to stop here. Curiosity will drive me to order the SR325e as well, and then, and then...

the 325e calls "buy me, buy me, you won't regret it" lol
it's super

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #24,407 of 65,645
  the 325e calls "buy me, buy me, you won't regret it" lol
it's super

Hay Jay! I listened very briefly to the EL-8 a couple of weeks ago, comparing to the LCD-2 and HE560 and a prototype of the forthcoming Dharma. I quite liked the HE560 and Dharma from my listening.

When you've had them for enough time to give your impressions, I'd be very curious to your thoughts.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #24,408 of 65,645
  Hay Jay! I listened very briefly to the EL-8 a couple of weeks ago, comparing to the LCD-2 and HE560 and a prototype of the forthcoming Dharma. I quite liked the HE560 and Dharma from my listening.

When you've had them for enough time to give your impressions, I'd be very curious to your thoughts.

well, for now, i can definitely say the el-8 needs some burn in, folks are reporting up to 200hrs. and right now, i'm just a bit over 100.
and it really has improved. 
initially the upper midrange,and treble was a little problematic , it seemed something was in the background , recessed,
and the treble a little ragged.
i have to admit, my expectations were high going in, so when i first put them on, i was a little disappointed, and thought there was no way they were going to sound good to me. and now, they sound pretty good, and may have some more improvement to come.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #24,409 of 65,645
  well, for now, i can definitely say the el-8 needs some burn in, folks are reporting up to 200hrs. and right now, i'm just a bit over 100.
and it really has improved. 
initially the upper midrange,and treble was a little problematic , it seemed something was in the background , recessed,
and the treble a little ragged.
i have to admit, my expectations were high going in, so when i first put them on, i was a little disappointed, and thought there was no way they were going to sound good to me. and now, they sound pretty good, and may have some more improvement to come.

Thanks Jay for getting back to me so quickly.

My initial impressions didn't wow me in the same way as the LCD-2 and X did. The 560 was the real surprise for me. I had heard it last July but this time  it really impressed. Funny how impressions change from one listening session to another. I think the Dharma may be a winner also. Big thumbs up. I need to hear it again in final version.

But, the EL-8 sounded brighter to me-but it was a really quick listen and lacked that full, lush LCD sound.

Recently went to a retail audio shop and was able to listen to the LCD-2 and X for a more extended period of time in addition to either the Grado GS or PS 1000. I don't remember which, but they were nice. I remember the price was about the same as the LCD X.

I never listened much to the X figuring why bother since I don't see paying much over 1K. But, I gotta say the X was appreciably better than the LCD-2 which I've always liked at meets. I was like, DANG DUDE -this is pretty nice
wink_face.gif

But I don't see paying close to 2K.......

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #24,410 of 65,645
  Thanks Jay for getting back to me so quickly.

My initial impressions didn't wow me in the same way as the LCD-2 and X did. The 560 was the real surprise for me. I had heard it last July but this time  it really impressed. Funny how impressions change from one listening session to another. I think the Dharma may be a winner also. Big thumbs up. I need to hear it again in final version.

But, the EL-8 sounded brighter to me-but it was a really quick listen and lacked that full, lush LCD sound.

Recently went to a retail audio shop and was able to listen to the LCD-2 and X for a more extended period of time in addition to either the Grado GS or PS 1000. I don't remember which, but they were nice. I remember the price was about the same as the LCD X.

I never listened much to the X figuring why bother since I don't see paying much over 1K. But, I gotta say the X was appreciably better than the LCD-2 which I've always liked at meets. I was like, DANG DUDE -this is pretty nice
wink_face.gif

But I don't see paying close to 2K.......

lcd x's are showing up used <$1300

Apr 27, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #24,411 of 65,645
Apr 27, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #24,413 of 65,645
 There seem to be some old PS500 available at the moment.

Where are these on sale?
 OK. I ordered the PS500

What's your opinion please? 

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #24,414 of 65,645
   Where are these on sale?
What's your opinion please? 

Well, it hasn't arrived yet! The PS500 was cheaper than the PS500e on amazon.co.uk (£541), but has now soared to £747. The prices are keen on amazon.fr, however. The PS500 is 691€ there, just cheaper than the PS500e at 699€. Keep checking. Amazon prices rocket up and down and the 'local' sites are always worth checking daily if you are not living in the USA - if you are, everything is cheap anyway!

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #24,416 of 65,645
  What's considered a steal for an original SR225? No i/e series, old fashioned thing. New pads.

How is the condition? I would consider something a steal if i can get them in a good-to-excellent condition, the newer the item, the more close to a New Open Box I want them to be. And only then I'm considering the price being ask... so a N.O.S RS1 that Stacker got, I consider that a federal crime. haha.

But price-wise, I think depending on the age (and if you don't look at it from condition POV), anything 40-50% less than MSRP I'd consider a steal...

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #24,418 of 65,645
  i purchase sr60e...im curious to the driver because its not in red one...it is normal?...tia

The drivers were only painted red for a limited time, as far as I know, and the more recently manufactured drivers don't have the paint.

If it says SR60e on the plastic 'buttons' in the center of the rear of each earcup then it's a genuine SR60e.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #24,419 of 65,645
  The drivers were only painted red for a limited time, as far as I know, and the more recently manufactured drivers don't have the paint. If it says SR60e on the plastic 'buttons' in the center of the rear of each earcup then it's a genuine SR60e.

I had also read of someone else posting their (e) series drivers weren't red either.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #24,420 of 65,645

The drivers were only painted red for a limited time, as far as I know, and the more recently manufactured drivers don't have the paint.

If it says SR60e on the plastic 'buttons' in the center of the rear of each earcup then it's a genuine SR60e.

I had also read of someone else posting their (e) series drivers weren't red either.

this is true
i would think it was to help identify , differentiate the "i" from the "e" as the e's rolled out, and there were lots of old stock "i" still available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back