Grado Fan Club!
Apr 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #24,046 of 65,633
  New Grado member checking in. I'm in Europe for some time and I thought I might pick up a headphone. Went around a few shops trying out headphones, put on the AKG K702 and with the kind of music that I listen to ( Metal, Blues, Classic Rock), I wasn't too impressed with them. The music was too tamed and too far apart for my liking (loyal to my Panasonic HJE900 for 7 years now). Next up was the HD 600 and I kinda liked it. Said to the salesman, order me one of the 600s. On m way home, musing over my the butt load of money that I just spent, I came across a run down audio store, I decided to take a tour of it and voila they had Grados for demo. I checked out the SR80i and SR125i on his sweet setup. I guess I must be demoing the SR80i for 2 hours straight, the owner finally came down to me and said he needs to shut shop and I guess you know the end result by now. The HD 600 order stands cancelled and I have the SR80i on my head for 4 hours straight now.

My only worry was that the Grados wouldn't be as detailed as my HJE900s but I don't think it's a problem. They do lack the low bass rumble that the Pana's are capable off but I don't seem to miss it.

Though to be honest, comfort ain't a strong point, I can keep them on, but I do have headache now with the headphones on for quite some time, though, I guess I would probably get used to it.

PS: I have been craving for a pair of Grados for 6 years and finally I get to treat myself with it. Thank you for the huge community either it be love or hate post on the Grado. They are just Hot Rockin'!

Good choice for the music you listen to-many of us Grado owners listen the same-blues/metal/rock-really can't go wrong. If you're like me, you'll want the flagship rock can which IMO is the RS1. It's a big price jump. But, the good news is the new new RS1e is not well received and you can probably get a great deal on a used RS1i if you decide to climb the latter later on. I stated with the 225i and kept it over two years before upgrading and could have been happy to keep the 225i indefinitely. In fact, I still use it as my roving house Ipod HP.

If you go that route later, the RS 1 or the 325 for that matter has greater detail and refinement. But they're all the same basic sound signature. Congrats. You've got a great rock can. Will sound great with other genres including acoustic and jazz. The only real caveat as you mention base for things like electronic/hip hop/some pop and it lacks a wide soundstage for symphonic music. But for visceral world of rock/metal/punk etc. Grados will put you on stage with the band so to speak.

Enjoy!

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #24,047 of 65,633
Glad to find this club for Grado!! I just bought a pair of MSPRO which was made 10 years ago. I have to say that it is even better than my denon D7100. I am totally satisfied. I also have gr10 and sr325is from grado. They are all amazing!!

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #24,048 of 65,633
There is another thread on here called, "Is the high price of headphones justified" Well the only thing that made me think of was how much more you get per dollar spent with Grado than with any other manufacturer I can think of. Example: I can buy a brand new SR325E for less than a used HD650, less than a used HE500 and so on. Yeah they might look kind of funny and maybe not the last word in comfort, but you get your moneys worth. Some other headphones I'd have to say it would be hard to justify paying 3 grand for, but not so here.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #24,049 of 65,633
  There is another thread on here called, "Is the high price of headphones justified" Well the only thing that made me think of was how much more you get per dollar spent with Grado than with any other manufacturer I can think of. Example: I can buy a brand new SR325E for less than a used HD650, less than a used HE500 and so on. Yeah they might look kind of funny and maybe not the last word in comfort, but you get your moneys worth. Some other headphones I'd have to say it would be hard to justify paying 3 grand for, but not so here.

I so agree HPiper!

And that's the true beauty of Grado's! One doesn't have to spend "mega-bucks" in order to tap in to audiophile grade sound quality. Even the SR60e and 80e has the same basic sound sigature as the more expensive models, albeit with less panache and build quality.

But even the lesser models sound superior to other brands costing 2-3 times the price of Grado's. It's no wonder that the 60/80's are two of the most recommended models for those with modest amounts to spend, or first-timers to Grado. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #24,050 of 65,633
  Thanks!

my favorite would be the Rs1 with buttons. the rs1i had a spike that made it really unpleasant for me. I believe @stacker45 also had this problem with the Rs1i IIRC.

btw @kayandjohn, I love your avatar! ha! funny stuff! 
biggrin.gif

What I didn't like about the RS1i was the lack of air between the performers, and almost non existent decay. I didn't expect the RS1i to have as much decay as my GS/PS1000, but I did expect them to have at least some. I'm sure many of you are familiar with Diana Krall's, Peel Me A Grape. In this sond when Mrs Krall stops signing, her voice is supposed to have a relatively long echoe, sadly, this effect was greatly amputated with the RS1i.

Giving how appreciated the RS1i are by their owners, and Grado's sample to sample differences, it could be that my pair's suspension just happened to be on the thight side. I'm with those who believe in burn in. That being said, I think that burn in doesn't make enough of a change, to make you go from not liking, to liking a pair of headphones. I think that if you like the way a pair of headphones sounds out of the box, odds are you'll like them even more, once the driver's suspension loosens up.

As I've said before, my first experience with Grado was with a well broken in demo pair of RS1. I was floored by how much details these headphones were letting me hear, especially compared to my Sennheiser HD600. That day, the Dark Side won me over within the first few seconds of listening. At the risk of repeating myself, thanks to kayandjohn's help, I have ordered a pair of new old stock RS1, I'll post my impressions, once they get here.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #24,051 of 65,633
  What I didn't like about the RS1i was the lack of air between the performers, and almost non existent decay. 

Giving how appreciated the RS1i are by their owners, and Grado's sample to sample differences, it could be that my pair's suspension just happened to be on the thight side. I'm with those who believe in burn in. That being said, I think that burn in doesn't make enough of a change, to make you go from not liking, to liking a pair of headphones. I think that if you like the way a pair of headphones sounds out of the box, odds are you'll like them even more, once the driver's suspension loosens up.

It does sound like you received a different variation of the RS-1i. The space between the instrument/decay is beautiful with the pair I have…I especially find this too be one of their strong points…for sure.
I also couldn't agree with you more about initially liking a headphone...chances are you will love them if you like what you hear, if you don't initially like what you hear chances are your not going to like them. Initial impressions are very important too me.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #24,052 of 65,633

Not to mention the fact that those other headphones are gonna need an amp and a good source!
With my new ps500e, which is the first e series Grado I try, they sound like they are being driven by a proper amp straight out of my phone! Just great work by Grado, I say.

Thanks!

my favorite would be the Rs1 with buttons. the rs1i had a spike that made it really unpleasant for me. I believe @stacker45
 also had this problem with the Rs1i IIRC.

btw @kayandjohn
, I love your avatar! ha! funny stuff! :D

What I didn't like about the RS1i was the lack of air between the performers, and almost non existent decay. I didn't expect the RS1i to have as much decay as my GS/PS1000, but I did expect them to have at least some. I'm sure many of you are familiar with Diana Krall's, Peel Me A Grape. In this sond when Mrs Krall stops signing, her voice is supposed to have a relatively long echoe, sadly, this effect was greatly amputated with the RS1i.

As I've said before, my first experience with Grado was with a well broken in demo pair of RS1. I was floored by how much details these headphones were letting me hear, especially compared to my Sennheiser HD600. That day, the Dark Side won me over within the first few seconds of listening. At the risk of repeating myself, thanks to kayandjohn's help, I have ordered a pair of new old stock RS1, I'll post my impressions, once they get here.

Ha! Sorry, I guess I didn't IIRC! :-D

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #24,053 of 65,633
  It does sound like you received a different variation of the RS-1i. The space between the instrument/decay is beautiful with the pair I have…I especially find this too be one of their strong points…for sure.
I also couldn't agree with you more about initially liking a headphone...chances are you will love them if you like what you hear, if you don't initially like what you hear chances are your not going to like them. Initial impressions are very important too me.

If I had to guess wich model, (past and present),  among Grado headphones that is the most appreciated by it's owners, I'd say the RS1i, followed closely by the RS1. Oddly enough, I'd say that the RS1e, is one of the least aprreciated model.

Oh!, and for the record, I think that the HP1000 is equally popular with it's owners as the RS1i, but because it's a limited production model, I don't think it's fair to compare it with the production models. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #24,055 of 65,633
  Should I hunker down and do a review on the SR80i even though it's been discontinued? I'd've done it a long time ago if I had more cans to compare em to, but now's almost a little late. :p

Why not!, even if they're discontinued, they remain one of Grado's most popular models, and your review could be of interest to the many people who'll buy a used pair.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #24,057 of 65,633
Hi guys,

I want to buy one of Grados but there's so many version and I'm confused. Which Grado's sound is closest to ER4S? or What's your suggestion about Grados to happy ER4S owner? :)

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #24,059 of 65,633
  Hi Grado fans-- I just wrote a story about the Grado family, including an interview with Jonathan Grado and some great photos of their making process. Let me know what you think! http://bit.ly/gradomkr

I REALLY enjoyed it... both the story and the photos.  The first one, of the SR325 sitting on the leather case, was a stimulating invitation into the rest of the article.  I was particularly pleased to encounter the pictures of Lorina, who assembled my GS1000es (I know because they were held up due to a death in her family and her attending the funeral).

The evolution of the GS1000e from those (to me at least... UGLY) salad bowls was interesting.  I am always curious what the balance is between the art of Grado headphone design vs. the science of Grado headphone design.  What did they do to evolve from those salad bowls to the present GS1000e chambers?

Thanks for writing it, and thanks for notifying us here.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #24,060 of 65,633
I just stumbled on a magnificent match. I recently bought a very old Headroom amp on ebay, partly cause I used to own one and mostly because it was going for a very low price. It has some cosmetic issues but nothing that affects the sound and my SR325E headphones have never sounded better. It is a far too much overused statement to say "it takes these to a new level" but it does<g>. I don't know any of the specifications of this amp, all I know is I love listening to music on it and the SR325's. I wonder after hearing this, why they (Headroom) quit making amps, this sounds tremendous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back