Grado Fan Club!
Mar 25, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #23,926 of 65,636

Yes I agree sling5s. It is generally unanimous on this site that the RS1i is the smoothest sounding of all the RS1's
but still a bit shouty in the upper midrange at times. 
So it appears that Grado has  tamed that "shoutiness" with the RS1i's new contender in the form of the RS2e, at the expense
of slightly less bass and less highs? Too bad there has to be a tradeoff. 

If you want to tame that shoutiness in the rs1i place some circular discs on the exit vent chamber grid.
It does help.

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #23,927 of 65,636

If you want to tame that shoutiness in the rs1i place some circular discs on the exit vent chamber grid.
It does help.

I"m good with the RS2e. 
Sounds interesting though.  Never thought of it. But I guess that would make the sound more closed in.  Like putting your hands close to the grill.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #23,928 of 65,636

I"m good with the RS2e. 
Sounds interesting though.  Never thought of it. But I guess that would make the sound more closed in.  Like putting your hands close to the grill.

On the contrary my Dear Watson.
L3000.gif

Placing the hands creates a hollow sound like chamber.
However, placing the Grado SR80 plastic discs (probably better with wood) seems to tame the high frequencies.

YMMV but do experiment around with it. My Rs1i's with the discs sound truly reference(i use a little blutak to hold them on to the grill) with a more flatter experience to the music. Take them off and you hear the shrill or high end emphasis.
Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #23,929 of 65,636
oh man, i think i'm definitely going to get the 4E-BOXSTND wood whenever it's available.

i've tried contacting Grado, and, Grado is pretty strict with their worldwide distributors rules so, they wouldn't and didn't answer my question directly and instead redirecting me to the regional Asia distributor.
The regional distributor said they never stock grado wood storage....

oh well.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #23,931 of 65,636
  On the contrary my Dear Watson.
L3000.gif

Placing the hands creates a hollow sound like chamber.
However, placing the Grado SR80 plastic discs (probably better with wood) seems to tame the high frequencies.

YMMV but do experiment around with it. My Rs1i's with the discs sound truly reference(i use a little blutak to hold them on to the grill) with a more flatter experience to the music. Take them off and you hear the shrill or high end emphasis.
Enjoy
atsmile.gif

Are you talking about the buttons (like the old Grado RS1 with buttons) on the grill?  Is there a mod for this?  make your own? 

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #23,932 of 65,636
I'm still VERY much enjoying my RS1i's that I bought around a month or so ago. I bought these for mostly rock and so far they haven't disappointed me at all, Zeppelin and the Stones sound wonderful although one thing I'm kinda surprised about is how much folk and singer/songwriter type I've been listening to on these. The acoustic guitar sounds lovely and voices sound superb as expected, if you're into those genres at all and are interested in the RS1i's definitely take a listen.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #23,933 of 65,636
  I'm still VERY much enjoying my RS1i's that I bought around a month or so ago. I bought these for mostly rock and so far they haven't disappointed me at all, Zeppelin and the Stones sound wonderful although one thing I'm kinda surprised about is how much folk and singer/songwriter type I've been listening to on these. The acoustic guitar sounds lovely and voices sound superb as expected, if you're into those genres at all and are interested in the RS1i's definitely take a listen.

I compared them to my Grado PS1000 and Sennheiser HD 800 and found the RS1i to be comparable to these flagships...

More detail here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/23295#post_11340487

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #23,934 of 65,636

Amazing HP's…they sound great with everything I listen too, I probably like them best with all kinds of Jazz!

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #23,936 of 65,636
Nice, are these yours?

yup. just got the hpa-2. somehow found one unopened, NiB. unfortunately i think some stuff slid around inside during shipping because the front leds dont glow out he holes. hopefully nothimg damaged because its mint otherwise and it works with the power adapter no problem.

thing sounds great, listening with black grado hp325 and o boy is is nice. grado endgame for me :)

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #23,937 of 65,636
Mar 26, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #23,938 of 65,636
Mar 26, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #23,939 of 65,636

People always talk about the RS series being great for metal and rock, and I'm an unrepentant lover of all things rock/metal/punk, but there's a lot of jazz heads that dig these cans. And when I've taken the time to listen to 50's/60's classic jazz (my favorite jazz) the details and tone are amazing.

I guess we all know how great electric guitar sounds on Grados. But, I think any kind of acoustic music sounds really good-even small ensemble classical-not that I own that much
very_evil_smiley.gif
 But, it does sound good. Folk and indie are brilliant on my RS1is for sure. But nothing beats blues, rock and metal for me.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #23,940 of 65,636
Not for normal people.  But I have sort of a fascination with vintage audio stuff... vintage Grado in particular.

So I have both the vintage RS-1 (with buttons) and the current RS-1i (well, the RS-1e is more current, but unlike other e's, there are many folks that think it is a step backward from the RS-1i).

The RA-1 amp (the wood one in the picture) is said to be similar in circuit to the C-Moy, sold in the Altoid mint tin for 1/5 the price by JDS Labs.  The Joseph Grado amp, which is the HPA-1, dates from the 1990s, and was designed at the instigation of Joseph Grado for his HP-1000 headphones by Sidney Stockton Smith of Marantz, and assembled by hand by Mr. Grado and a former Marantz quality engineer whose name escapes me right now.  That said, John Grado says that the RA-1 has the same circuit as the HPA-1, but folks here who have compared them say the HPA-1 has less grain in its sound.  There were only 125 HPA-1 made, and they are hard to find.

I have both, and I have not really sat and compared them... they are both Superb!

And for the (metal) Joseph Grado headphones, of course you need the (metal) Joseph Grado amp!

hi John, do you also own the c-moy Altoid tin amp?
Does the RA-1 actually sounds the same / very similar to the Altoid tin amp?
Or is it just physically looks similar and people that said they both sounds the same just never heard the ra-1 with a grado headphone....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back