Grado Fan Club!
Jan 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #22,246 of 65,608
it's just like the quarter mod you'd do on comfies, but here you're using memory foam. You know, memory foam which adjusts perfectly to whatever it comes into contact with. Perfect seal around the ears, it really lets the bass shine.

No, it does not get muffled. Not at all. I get bass, and keep the grado magic going on.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #22,247 of 65,608
it's just like the quarter mod you'd do on comfies, but here you're using memory foam. You know, memory foam which adjusts perfectly to whatever it comes into contact with. Perfect seal around the ears, it really lets the bass shine.

Yes, I understand the concept, but how does the mid-range detail/clarity sound with the density of the memory foam?

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #22,248 of 65,608
  Minty fresh....I agree....the JDS Labs cMoy is a great little amp for the Grados.

Nice, I recently bought a BSG C-Moy, and I still can't believe how good it sounds. It's dead quiet, it has solid deep bass, and very detailed.

I'm not very familiar with the JDS, does yours have bass boost?, and also, what OPamp does it have?

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #22,249 of 65,608
I don't know how to really describe this, every detail is present, you hear the kicks and the bass strings so clearly, but suddenly you hear the hi hat very detailed, the soundstage is wider, you feel the athmosphere. When you hear the bass so detailed you think that the mids and highs are dead, but no.

I've tried full leather pads, and they sound like you put a pipe in front of the driver, and I was specting that to happen with this material, but no, it's not the case. Quarter mods pads gives you a tad of bass and a lot more highs.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #22,250 of 65,608
I don't know how to really describe this, every detail is present, you hear the kicks and the bass strings so clearly, but suddenly you hear the hi hat very detailed, the soundstage is wider, you feel the athmosphere. When you hear the bass so detailed you think that the mids and highs are dead, but no.

I've tried full leather pads, and they sound like you put a pipe in front of the driver, and I was specting that to happen with this material, but no, it's not the case. Quarter mods pads gives you a tad of bass and a lot more highs.

I'm surprised, I would have thought the opposite. I tried the Ear Zonk vinyl cushions and they TOTALLY destroyed the Grado magic. Glad to hear this mod doesn't! Enjoy!

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #22,251 of 65,608
I've never heard a pair of grados before, can anyone tell me how they compare to say a dt770 pro? Those are my current headphones and they're amazing but I wonder if grado was the better choice. My only problem was that they're open cans (as i recall) and I hear the bass isn't great.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #22,252 of 65,608

Well then, Grado Labs should make 'em!

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #22,256 of 65,608

Nice, I recently bought a BSG C-Moy, and I still can't believe how good it sounds. It's dead quiet, it has solid deep bass, and very detailed.

I'm not very familiar with the JDS, does yours have bass boost?, and also, what OPamp does it have?

Bass boost and it runs the OPA2227P op amp and it is removable so you can roll opamps if you want.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #22,257 of 65,608
Also, if anyone needs some memory foam...I have a 4 inch king size mattress topper worth of it that I can cut chunks off of and send out for anyone that wants to play around with it. You pay shipping of course.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #22,259 of 65,608
Hey Guys I am getting a little rattle on my right side with the new 500e. Only happens with very bass heavy tracks. I don't believe it's a blown drive, it sounds fine on everything else, any thoughts?

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #22,260 of 65,608
Hey Guys I am getting a little rattle on my right side with the new 500e. Only happens with very bass heavy tracks. I don't believe it's a blown drive, it sounds fine on everything else, any thoughts?

I had that happen with my RS2i (thought it was a falling driver) and sent them into Grado for repair. I would recommend the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back