Grado Fan Club!
Jan 15, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #22,021 of 65,869
just recieved my 325e's back from grado, driver repaired, 1/4" jack installed, man oh man, i do love a grado !!

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #22,022 of 65,869
You really have to respect a company that continues to make their products here in the USA.  It's not easy and  takes a lot of perseverance. Temptation to  shift the manufacturing process overseas and increase  the profit margin has to be strong, bless them for not caving in. Seems like Grado is kind of like McIntosh but on a smaller scale.  Mac is one of my all time favorite companies,  the factory is about 45 minutes away, been through the factory tour a couple times,  the commitment to quality and excellence still amazes me in a very positive, uplifting way. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #22,023 of 65,869
In case anyone missed this:

/img/vimeo_logo.png

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #22,024 of 65,869
Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post I decided to do it on my favorite America-made headphone brand. I absolutely love my SR225e's. I mainly used them when I am practicing the guitar. I also have the SR80e as backup. I recently got the iGrados Behind the ear headphones to take that open-technology on the go. I think they were pretty nice so far. At $50 I got two. What are your thoughts about them?

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #22,025 of 65,869
Jan 15, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #22,026 of 65,869
  Can anyone else weigh in on this? I am curious what Grado heads use when listening to classical music; not large scale, blasting stuff, like Mahler, but chamber orchestra or string quartets.

Stax Lambda Nova electrostatic headphones. And that's my wife enjoying them.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #22,027 of 65,869
I have a few questions about the PS500. I tried out a pair yesterday and loved the sound signature. They were very dynamic, detailed, airy and a lot of fun. I listened to almost all my music through my iPhone 6 plus.

Some of my music sounded great around a 7-8 volume, while other recordings needed to be played at 10 (maxed) to sound good. It didn't matter if it was rock, trance or vocal recordings.

This is the first pair of open headphones I've tried. Are they not as loud because they're open?

If a added an amp would it help make them louder? They don't sound full and lack depth at a lower volume. I'm new to this, I hope I'm describing it right. I posted this question on the introduction & help forum.

Would the PS500e sound fuller at a lower volume?

Thank you.

Sounds like you need a portable amp.

just recieved my 325e's back from grado, driver repaired, 1/4" jack installed, man oh man, i do love a grado !!

That's great, man. Enjoy!

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #22,028 of 65,869

We needed to see the Saint willing too tolerate your HP obsession 
beerchug.gif
, though John makes the rest of us look like pikers 
wink_face.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #22,029 of 65,869
So I guess if you want to listen to classical you don't listen to Grado headphones. I think when they came out with the GS1000 they intended that to be their 'classical' headphone, it just never quite made it in that area the way they thought it would. I have thought some Stax would be real good for classical but can't compromise and get one of their low end systems and can't afford one of their close to 2k systems.  I think the 500e would do a passable job though.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #22,031 of 65,869
So I guess if you want to listen to classical you don't listen to Grado headphones. I think when they came out with the GS1000 they intended that to be their 'classical' headphone, it just never quite made it in that area the way they thought it would. I have thought some Stax would be real good for classical but can't compromise and get one of their low end systems and can't afford one of their close to 2k systems.  I think the 500e would do a passable job though.

New to Grado, but the 500e's, especially with G Pads do very, very well with Classical and acoustic music.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #22,032 of 65,869

Well, I like my 325i w/ G-Cush just fine for classical.  Guess I'm just not that picky.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #22,033 of 65,869
We needed to see the Saint willing too tolerate your HP obsession 
beerchug.gif
, though John makes the rest of us look like pikers 
wink_face.gif

Tolerate? I allowed her to use the Stax! (For a moment, though. And I stayed close, because you never know...)

To be honest, I don't listen to a lot of classical music. My main fare is jazz, rock, and blues.

If I had to select a headphone purely to listen to classical music, the Stax wins hands down. Even if it is an 'entry level' Stax Lambda Nova Basic set.

What's with the 'low end systems'? Are you talking about the electrets?

If you want an electrostatic Stax, they start new at 1K and if you look around you can find mind condition systems for less than 500 euro (mine was unused in original box for 325, shipping included).

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #22,034 of 65,869

I'm with you on this Jay! Took the plunge on a 325e a couple weeks back. I've only put 11 hours on them so far (1 hour listening sessions at a time) and now you can colour me impresssed! The peakiness in the highs have disappeared, the bass is full, the midrange is spot on, the entire sonic character is warm, smooth and lush. Oh and the smile on my face is non-stop! 

Enjoy and cheers!
Mal.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #22,035 of 65,869

Hmmm... so, not GS1000, it sounds like. I've been using my HD-650s a lot, but find they are not my favorite for classical music that I enjoy. I may need to drag my laptop and a portable amp down to my dealer and audition something else (unfortunately, they are exclusively Grado for cans, but they have everything so I can try a PS500 and a PS1000).

BTW, fun listening station... I like how you have all of your optical plastic on display and handy. I recently re-org'd my home loft/office to do the same, but to save shelf space, I organized everything into Slappa binders. The top shelf is for new stuff that I am still playing over-and-over, as well as some box sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back