Grado Fan Club!
Dec 7, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #20,612 of 65,627
Deal may not happen with the 325e
we are on hold

Are you planning on using the WA3 to drive the 325e or will that be exclusive territory for the Schiit stack?

Curious, because I just added a WA3 to the stable and haven't done extensive listening with my RS2i; I've read this will not be a good combo (OTL and all with low impedance Grado).

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #20,613 of 65,627

Are you planning on using the WA3 to drive the 325e or will that be exclusive territory for the Schiit stack?

Curious, because I just added a WA3 to the stable and haven't done extensive listening with my RS2i; I've read this will not be a good combo (OTL and all with low impedance Grado).

How does the RS21/WA3 sound so far without extensive listening too you? 

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #20,614 of 65,627

Honestly, I think it sounds pretty awesome. I was shocked at the improvement over my NuForce Icon HDP + Linear PS with the RS2i.

I need to spend more time w/ Grado + WA3 to really form an opinion, as I've been almost exclusively listening to Senn HD-650 since getting the new amp. The RS2i sounds a little bright, but after a few hours of listening, I will be back on the train.

That's tonight's todo list 
L3000.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #20,615 of 65,627

Honestly, I think it sounds pretty awesome. I was shocked at the improvement over my NuForce Icon HDP + Linear PS with the RS2i.

I need to spend more time w/ Grado + WA3 to really form an opinion, as I've been almost exclusively listening to Senn HD-650 since getting the new amp. The RS2i sounds a little bright, but after a few hours of listening, I will be back on the train.

L3000.gif

So it sounds like your liking the improvement already with the RS2i/WA3 in such a short time…so thats what matters good for you, enjoy! 

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #20,616 of 65,627

L3000.gif

So it sounds like your liking the improvement already with the RS2i/WA3 in such a short time…so thats what matters good for you, enjoy! 

Hmmm... I may need to retract my earlier comment. I started out with Diana Krall at relatively low volume; that sounded nice, with more weight to the sound than I am used to. I moved on to Depeche Mode Ultra (with a fair amount of volume) and, yikes... that was not good. Similar result with Oasis, West Indian Girl. Sounded, well, like there was some distortion. I am not good A/B'ing, but I'm going to re-connect the NuForce and try some comparisons to see what the differences are between amps.

I am afraid that what I am really hearing is the difference between the Senns and the Grados; I need to reacclimatize to Grado and then try switching amps back and forth.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #20,617 of 65,627
  I just had spent about 2-3 hours comparing the RS1i and the GS1000i. The longest time i had exclusively with them, of course not having my entire library with me at the time.

I must say that i found the GS1000i probably more worth it than the RS1i, considering the fairly slim price difference. The RS1i, while good, sounded like 'standard', smoothend SR325is or more mature SR80i, incl. intimate / compressed soundstage.
The GS1000i adds air to the Grado equation, making me feel that all the Grados under the GS1000i ( / PS-Series) are mere gradual build-up to the GS1000i. 
They are what Grado intended the sound to become at the very end.
It is not perfect, but refined and natural (vs. analytical) as a Grado should be.

Seriously considering picking them up and skipping the other steps. If i do that would be the GS1000e

Yet i feel that they are expensive for the 'simplicity' of the design (vs. HD800, T1, LCD2...). Peace of wood with driver insider and the same gimbals found on the SR60. 

Hello TheDreamthinker, have you heard PS1Ke? I've heard GS1Ke in local audio store here, and agree they are worth, larger soundstage while still maintaining Grado's sound signature, the cushions are comfier too, but I'm curious about PS1Ke, how much the sound different with GS1Ke?

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #20,618 of 65,627
  Sorry to hear…but I'm sure you'll find another Grado if this deal falls through.
There are quite a good amount of positive impressions on the 325e.
I will have the GS1Ke Tuesday, it will be my first taste of the (e) series…I relay hope I love it!!!

it's no big deal, me and joedoe will get it all sorted out
really looking forward to your thoughts on the gs1ke !

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #20,619 of 65,627

i hardly do any "exclusively" ! lol
i plan on having the modi's outputs split (audioquest splitter) so it'll feed signal to both the schiit stack, and the wa3 at the same time. i'll be able to listen to both 
i too have heard NOT to use the wa3 with grado's, but i'll see for myself 

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #20,620 of 65,627
Wow! Thanks for that informative comparison. G1000es are next on my list (ARE YOU READING HEAD-FI.ORG, SANTA??!), and right now my RS1is are my favorites.

[size=12.8000001907349px] If Santa sees that wish, he will only give you a Solo 1. Wouldn't want to make him angry...
wink.gif

Quote:
+1 I'll just piggyback on what K&J said. Great post. I love my RS1i's, they are really good headphones, but the GS1Ki's are super good sounding hp's IMHO. Get a pair of you can.

Thanks guys.  Exactly...that is why i might consider them as my next Grado purchase. 
Although I travel to much to warrant such an investment at the moment.

- But this has made me confident enough to (probably) skip the RS1e (not saying they are bad). The problem i had with all 'small cup' Grados, is that the music starts feeling a bit 'claustrophobic' after a while. This doesn't seem happen with the GS1000i and this makes them an overall better buy. + Comfort of G-Cushs.

[/size]
  NO! GS1K have a nice metal gimbals like the RS1....
biggrin.gif

Can't say that is a wrong statement. 
rolleyes.gif

Always depends on the perspective, doesn't it....

Hello TheDreamthinker, have you heard PS1Ke? I've heard GS1Ke in local audio store here, and agree they are worth, larger soundstage while still maintaining Grado's sound signature, the cushions are comfier too, but I'm curious about PS1Ke, how much the sound different with GS1Ke?

No i have never tried the higher end metal Grados. The store owner i went to this time, didn't have the PS500 & PS1000i on display, because he doesn't like their sound and wouldn't recommend them himself.
I cannot really comment.

Although i could imagine them not being comfortable (weight - i already find the SR325is too heavy for the Grado headband mech.) and not competitively priced (PS1000e vs. LCD3, Stax, 2xHD800...). 
The GS1000i/e while big and bulky are very comfortable, as they are basically just one piece of mahogony strapped to the head, with G-Cushs.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #20,621 of 65,627

Hmmm... I may need to retract my earlier comment. I started out with Diana Krall at relatively low volume; that sounded nice, with more weight to the sound than I am used to. I moved on to Depeche Mode Ultra (with a fair amount of volume) and, yikes... that was not good. Similar result with Oasis, West Indian Girl. Sounded, well, like there was some distortion. I am not good A/B'ing, but I'm going to re-connect the NuForce and try some comparisons to see what the differences are between amps.

I am afraid that what I am really hearing is the difference between the Senns and the Grados; I need to reacclimatize to Grado and then try switching amps back and forth.

having to transition from a darker headphone to a grado does take a little time fore me, 

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #20,622 of 65,627

Deal may not happen with the 325e
we are on hold

Generally speaking, an OTL will pair much , much better with high impedence cans

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #20,623 of 65,627
   Generally speaking, an OTL will pair much , much better with high impedence cans

i generally try to stay away from generalities 

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #20,624 of 65,627

Users who are viewing this thread

Back