Grado Fan Club!
Sep 9, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #18,331 of 66,264
Seriously! Thank you everyone who replied to my MS2i questions!!!

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #18,332 of 66,264
Nothing!, not even from you Joe?, humour me Buddy, it took me a half hour to write the damn thing. I think that you are one of the most objective people on Head-Fi, so  I value you're opinion. I would truly like to know if you, or anybody else, think that what I wrote makes sense.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #18,333 of 66,264
Joedoe, I have owned the PS500 for about two weeks, and my dealer let me have the RS1i for 3 days.

In my opinion, aside from having deeper bass than the SR series Grados, the PS500 also have a rolled off treble, wich makes them the most forgiving of all Grados, they also have a decent size soundstage, What I didn't like about them, is that women's voices sound a bit to ''manly'' for my tastes.

The RS1i, absolutely nails voices, womens's, and men's. The bass, although not as deep as the PS500, is tighter, and depending on what kind of music you like, you might not miss having lower bass that much . The added  treble makes the RS1i less forgiving of bad recordings. The reason I didn't keep the RS1i, is because I thought that they laked air, decay.

I hope this helps.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #18,335 of 66,264

dununus, glad your enjoying your Grado's. I wonder if that mod will work for the RS1's?

i tried the tape mod on my rs1i's, i felt it messed up the balance of the sound, to me, the rs1i sounds its best with the L cushes, but thats just me 
wink.gif

+1

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #18,336 of 66,264
Alright Grado heads, I've scored a sweet deal on some PS500s and I'm curious to get some thoughts from you guys who've owned both the 500s and the RS1s. Other than deeper bass, what can I expect?

mellower , "bigger" sound, more forgiving, , i agree with what stacker has said, except i don't remember having a problem with female voices, but i don't listen to a lot of female vocals.
its different from the rs1i for sure, i really liked it, and have almost gotten another a time or two

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #18,338 of 66,264
  Joedoe, I have owned the PS500 for about two weeks, and my dealer let me have the RS1i for 3 days.

In my opinion, aside from having deeper bass than the SR series Grados, the PS500 also have a rolled off treble, wich makes them the most forgiving of all Grados, they also have a decent size soundstage, What I didn't like about them, is that women's voices sound a bit to ''manly'' for my tastes.

The RS1i, absolutely nails voices, womens's, and men's. The bass, although not as deep as the PS500, is tighter, and depending on what kind of music you like, you might not miss having lower bass that much . The added  treble makes the RS1i less forgiving of bad recordings. The reason I didn't keep the RS1i, is because I thought that they laked air, decay.

I hope this helps.

You nailed it!

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #18,339 of 66,264
An interesting read for all Grado users :)
http://jonathangrado.com/history/

Get down and Boogie :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #18,340 of 66,264
  An interesting read for all Grado users :)
http://jonathangrado.com/history/

Get down and Boogie :)

man i LOVE curtis mayfield !!! sweet !!

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #18,341 of 66,264
I've had the 80is for about a month now and am really enjoying them (this is my entry into the higher end headphone world). However, I made the possible mistake of letting a friend listen to them, and they now want to buy them off me. I'm thinking this might be an opportunity to move up in the grado line a bit. I'm using my MacBook pro (all lossless files) with a LD 1+ and Schiit Modi.

What would you say is the best grado for the money? From what I've read it seems like there definitely starts to be some diminishing returns around the 325 mark.

Also, in terms of identifying grados, only the original generation has the flat cups, correct? The i and e series both have the larger bowls?

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #18,342 of 66,264
  I've had the 80is for about a month now and am really enjoying them (this is my entry into the higher end headphone world). However, I made the possible mistake of letting a friend listen to them, and they now want to buy them off me. I'm thinking this might be an opportunity to move up in the grado line a bit. I'm using my MacBook pro (all lossless files) with a LD 1+ and Schiit Modi.

What would you say is the best grado for the money? From what I've read it seems like there definitely starts to be some diminishing returns around the 325 mark.

Also, in terms of identifying grados, only the original generation has the flat cups, correct? The i and e series both have the larger bowls?

Thanks!

Not heard the 325, but it seems to be what the community is raving about. If you want a mid-tier headphone, I would say either the SR225, SR325, or RS2.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #18,343 of 66,264
Through some of this in your cereal, or stir it in your coffee. That extra kick to wake you up!

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #18,345 of 66,264

Thanks!

the SR225 is the sweet spot of the grados is the general consensus ive read on here for the past 3 or so years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back