Grado Fan Club!
Aug 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #17,971 of 65,649
  have you heard the new HE560 by chance? It's pretty nice, too.

not yet...soon enough though!  i really like the hifiman stuff, IMO the best sound for the price level that is out there. 

i'm completely off of headphone desire right now though....i really want a tube amp to play with (LD+) but that's about it for headphone wants this year.  i've been back playing with hi-fi gear again (sigh $$$) i just got some new satellites and i'm saving up for a multichannel pre/pro (emotiva) to replace my AVR for multichannel, so i can go back to using my monoblock amps.  my AVR sounds fantastic but i've been playing with software processing for all the room correction/DSP and i'd really like to get my system "100% digital / PCM" and keep it all in my HTPC, controlled through my phone/tablet.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #17,972 of 65,649

not yet...soon enough though!  i really like the hifiman stuff, IMO the best sound for the price level that is out there.

i'm completely off of headphone desire right now though....i really want a tube amp to play with (LD+) but that's about it for headphone wants this year.  i've been back playing with hi-fi gear again (sigh $$$) i just got some new satellites and i'm saving up for a multichannel pre/pro (emotiva) to replace my AVR for multichannel, so i can go back to using my monoblock amps.  my AVR sounds fantastic but i've been playing with software processing for all the room correction/DSP and i'd really like to get my system "100% digital / PCM" and keep it all in my HTPC, controlled through my phone/tablet.

I'm right with you.....that's the bigger drain on my wallet-looking at various options.  The LCD will be my (hopefully) later purchase. FWIW, I did find the 560 a really nice HP, tho.

And bringing it  back to the Grado discussion, one of the things I like about my RS1i and LD1+ is that for a modest investment-a little over $500 for both pieces bought on Headfi- I feel like I've got reallly good sound. Sure, an HE or Audeze would be cool, but I'm not feeling the burning desire as I look up the higher end 2 channel food chain.

My Grado/LD combo works. It delivers. It's satisfying. It's not going anywhere. I'm covered. Particularly, those times when I want to put on something extreme. I'm borrowing a Nuforce Icon DAC and listening to Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With The Stars, last night (melocic Black Metal) the clairty from the Nuforce DAC straight into a budget CD player cleaned up the sound amplified through LD 1+ and the RS1i-is pretty darn sweet.

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #17,973 of 65,649

I think that it's a combination of facts that contributed to me not keeping the RS1i, I won't lie, I had read so much positive thigns about them, that my expectations were pretty high.

I think subtlety and nuance can be issues with the RS1i. It's nothing like the experience of listening to a high end Audeze or Stax set up for the first time. More than likely, it's not going to have that kind of "wow factor". There's no big lush ooo la la sound. No thundering base.

It took me a while coming from the 225. Finally, I put on simple, acoustic jazz. And, I heard it. Separation of instruments. Gorgeous piano tone. I could almost reach out and touch where the sound was coming from. I could hear the strumming of an accoustic guitar. And, the guitar sound was gorgeous.

Put on some aggressive metal, hard rock, or punk and it just sounds "right". Classic rock is great-Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Dylan, Zeppelin, King Crimson, blues...sound great. Like you're on stage with the band.

It's pretty subtle. But, it is there. Now, I just think of my RS1i and LD1+ as affordable great sounding music. Straightforward and uncomplicated.  But, there are no fireworks. No angels singing. Just great sounding music with clarity, detail and nuance.

Yep....I agree 100%

I had to listen to my 325is and my RS1i for a few months.....finally it came thru to me that the RS1i was just a better sound for me....subtle at first....then eventually you hear it right away.

Beautiful detail and very smooth mids...also smooth trable with tubes.

For electric guitar...they were just the bomb.

I have moved on from them....but I won't say that I won't be back to them someday.

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #17,974 of 65,649
Agreed, the 80's and the RS1i's have that "WOW"!!!

After owning 3 different pairs of PS1K's…the pair I now own sounds different (better) than the 2 previous pairs.

+1000
:beerchug:
When I accumulate the funds to buy a PS1000, I hope to make a pilgrimage to Grado Labs in New York, using my frequent flyer miles, to audition several PS1000s (and hopefully express my gratitude to the Grado folks!).

Aug 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #17,975 of 65,649
Some Doors this evening...

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #17,976 of 65,649
When I accumulate the funds to buy a PS1000, I hope to make a pilgrimage to Grado Labs in New York, using my frequent flyer miles, to audition several PS1000s (and hopefully express my gratitude to the Grado folks!).

Good idea…the only thing is Grado Labs is just a factory in Brooklyn N.Y. which does not cater to the public, can't go there, you'll have to go to B&H Photo if you are in N.Y.C. But I don't know what models are on the floor to demo (if they even do) but they sell every model.

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #17,977 of 65,649

Good idea…the only thing is Grado Labs is just a factory in Brooklyn N.Y. which does not cater to the public, can't go there, you'll have to go to B&H Photo if you are in N.Y.C. But I don't know what models are on the floor to demo (if they even do) but they sell every model.

Yea....good luck.....you probably have a better chance getting into fort knox  
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #17,978 of 65,649
I recently sold my GS1000 because after extensive listening between them and my AKG K340's. They just sounded better to my ears after testing with various high end amps and sources at the last head-fi meet. My mind was boggled. I either got a really nice pair of K340's. I've sold the GS1000's and put the extra money into my source and am quite happy with the results. More expensive isn’t always better. I don't understand why John Grado doesn't just do a re-release of the HP-1000's. I just saw a post in the FS section asking $1200 for "black star" SR200's right here on head-fi. HP-1000's are going for like 2k.

So many of us prefer the Joseph Grado sound. In my opinion ANY headphone company who's flagship from the late 1980's sounds FAR better than it's newest flagship in 2014 is seriously doing it wrong.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #17,980 of 65,649
As someone who’s had both the HP-1 and the SR-200 with HP1000 drivers, I disagree that they sound better (let alone FAR better) than the PS1000. GS1000 isn’t the grado flagship. PS1000 is and it is more neutral and impressive than the GS1000 - although I would not call it neutral compared the HP-1. The HP-1 is an excellent headphone but is not perfect. For example, it has virtually no soundstage. It also has a bit of an upper midrange glare. Not as emphasized as the RS1 but it’s not as flat as the PS1000 in the mids.

I think it would be nice if Grado offered a more neutral set of headphones like the HP-1. One could say the PS500 is an attempt at that (insofar as it has a different, darker tone than the RS1) but it’s still very much an exciting and lively headphone and not more staid and neutral like the HP-1. 

And I’m not sure if there really are "so many" people out there who prefer the old Joseph Grado sound. After all, they only made 1000 HP-1000 headphones total… So that really limited the total number of people (including some used resales) who have even heard the headphones. Can you say there are really “so many” people who prefer the Joe Grado sound? it’s limited by those who have heard it. The internet - and especially the head-fi and related forums - become an echo chamber for praising the HP-1 headphones. 

I may have some issues with Grado’s lineup but I think they did an excellent job with the PS1000. And it appears the e series may have further refined performance (bass extension and imaging). 

(btw, that $1200 SR200 price is super inflated and optimistic. I bought and sold mine for under 600 just a  few months ago. And would not have paid more for them. the SR200 are not as good as the HP1000.)

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #17,981 of 65,649
Aug 20, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #17,982 of 65,649
  My girlfriend just sent me this article after I got her a pair of SR-125i's, she is really starting to get into the whole "re-discovering" music stage, and it is awesome :D

Also note: I bought them brand new, and upon opening the box, they came with the L-cush instead of the flats!!! :D

http://www.electriccity.be/Images/The%20Death%20of%20High%20Fidelity%20_%20Rolling%20Stone.pdf

that was one of the few articles i haven't read yet on the loudness war, and a good one at that.  thanks!

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #17,983 of 65,649
  My girlfriend just sent me this article after I got her a pair of SR-125i's, she is really starting to get into the whole "re-discovering" music stage, and it is awesome :D

Also note: I bought them brand new, and upon opening the box, they came with the L-cush instead of the flats!!! :D

http://www.electriccity.be/Images/The%20Death%20of%20High%20Fidelity%20_%20Rolling%20Stone.pdf

Nice that your girlfriend is rediscovering her music.

I am such a believer than you live your life with your music....I mean it is something that you carry with you your whole life.

I wish my wife would.

The most I can get out of her is, when i get a new set of cans ...I ask her to listen and tell me how she like them.

Usually I get her to listen for two minutes....then she takes them off and says ....sounds pretty good......then thats the last she will use them.

She did listen to the HD800 for about one minute longer...took them off ...said, those are really nice.......last she has used them   
tongue.gif

I agree....that is a very good article..

Aug 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #17,984 of 65,649
Even though I absolutely love my HP1000, I still prefer my the sound of my PS1000. I might be the only one who does, just like I prefer the Bushmills X, to the RS1i. I pride myself of telling it, like I see it, even if I ruffle a few feathers in the process.

And just in case some people didn't know what LC meant  HP1, it's just that the 1000 pairs of HP1000 were divided in three submodels if you will, the HP1, wich have a polarity switch in the middle of the cup, the HP2 wich are the most frequently seen, are basically HP1 minus the polarity switch, and the HP3 of wich there are very few, and had drivers that didn't measure, or perform as well as the HP1 and HP2 

Then it gets a little confusing, as if it wasn't already. Because the HP1000 used two different cables, now, if LC or any one else knows different, don't hesitate to step in. The HP1 and HP2 could be had with the regular generic Grado cable, or the ''Joseph Grado Signature Ultra Wide Bandwith Reference Cable'', while the HP3 could only be had with the generic cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back