Grado Fan Club!
Aug 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #17,941 of 65,652
Correct, I've never heard anybody use the term "muddy" for the RS1x…if anything it would be the total opposite "piercing" like you mentioned (although never IME). I also use a tube amp for the RS1i's, which is pure musical bliss to my ears.
:beerchug:

I managed to get the RA-1 and PH-1 for cheap, and i use those at the moment. eventually want to upgrade to Woo Audio WA-5 or WA-6se. Really putting this on hold a lot though, as i'll pay another 23% on top of the regular price+shipping of those.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #17,942 of 65,652
I managed to get the RA-1 and PH-1 for cheap, and i use those at the moment. eventually want to upgrade to Woo Audio WA-5 or WA-6se. Really putting this on hold a lot though, as i'll pay another 23% on top of the regular price+shipping of those.

Congratulations on the amps!
As you may have read, I originally had the WA6 then sold it when I got the 6-SE...then sold the 6-SE (2 weeks ago) to get the WA6 ( which I've had for a couple of months now) again due to the fact of the 6-SE not accepting the 6SN7 tubes which I love with the RS1i's. 

Aug 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #17,943 of 65,652
Aug 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #17,944 of 65,652
Are the Bushmills readily available now? I thought they did a quick second run and that’s it - no mas.

btw, I also liked the Bushmills and thought they were like a slightly baser RS1 but I thought they really needed the L cush pads or they sounded muddy. the comfy pads hide a lot of the abilities of the Bushmills. just an FYI in case anyone can still find these.

Anyone have any updates on whether Grado will be producing more Bushmills?

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #17,945 of 65,652

Are the Bushmills readily available now? I thought they did a quick second run and that’s it - no mas.

btw, I also liked the Bushmills and thought they were like a slightly baser RS1 but I thought they really needed the L cush pads or they sounded muddy. the comfy pads hide a lot of the abilities of the Bushmills. just an FYI in case anyone can still find these.

Anyone have any updates on whether Grado will be producing more Bushmills?

Every once in awhile a pair will surface in the b/s/t forum

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #17,947 of 65,652
Aug 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #17,948 of 65,652
Aug 18, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #17,949 of 65,652
  "any of my 31 headphones & IEM's" 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

rolleyes.gif

Just might be the GRADO GOD'S!!! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good luck with fixing the issues with your set-up, so you can get back to the music! 
wink.gif

Yep... 31 headphones.

To aid head-fi-ers in increasing their own headphone count, I posted the following post on "26 Battle-Tested Excuses for Why You Need New Headphones."  Feel free to use them!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729181/why-i-need-new-headphones-26-battle-tested-excuses-for-your-use#post_10765474

But I fear my budget constraints dictate that I must wait about 6 months before buying another pair of headphones.  When I do, at least at the moment, they will be Grado PS1000e's. (Unless I find a great chance for an SR225 or 225i or 225e... that will add a few more weeks of waiting!!!).

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #17,950 of 65,652
Correct, I've never heard anybody use the term "muddy" for the RS1x…if anything it would be the total opposite "piercing" like you mentioned (although never IME). I also use a tube amp for the RS1i's, which is pure musical bliss to my ears.
:beerchug:

I feel pretty bad that I'm not respecting the RS1e's. They went back tonight for a credit. I LOVE my 325e's but something was very wrong with the RS1's. I've been following the e series loaner thread and I'll be interested to see if this was an isolated incident. I'm looking for somewhere to go to do another listen. I may return to the Rs1 if I can be sure they sound like I think they should. Based on some early reviews of the RS1e's there might be a little problem. We'll see.

Jim

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #17,951 of 65,652
In that case the RS1i that I had must have had a problem too, but personally, I don't think so.

I think that it's a combination of facts that contributed to me not keeping the RS1i, I won't lie, I had read so much positive thigns about them, that my expectations were pretty high.

Also it's not like I was buying the RS1i, because I didn't like the headphones that I already own, I just wanted headphones that could give me a lttle more intimacy with some recordings, and even though they did gi me more intimacy, the lack of decay and ''air'' around the performers, made for a sound presentation that I just didn't care for. So keep in mind that this was the only thing that I didn't like about the RS1i, but it was a copromise, that I wasn't prepare to live with.

In my opinion,, the first gen GS1000 have THE biggest soundstage of any Grados with decay and ''air'' to spare, but, they also have THE most recessed midrange of any Grados.

I find it funny that when someone says that they don't like the GS or PS1000, we rarely see people saying that they're must be something wrong with them. It's ok though, I learned a long time ago, that the important thing is that, I, like them. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #17,952 of 65,652
I feel pretty bad that I'm not respecting the RS1e's. They went back tonight for a credit. I LOVE my 325e's but something was very wrong with the RS1's. I've been following the e series loaner thread and I'll be interested to see if this was an isolated incident. I'm looking for somewhere to go to do another listen. I may return to the Rs1 if I can be sure they sound like I think they should. Based on some early reviews of the RS1e's there might be a little problem. We'll see.

Jim

IMO trying another RS1e or an RS1i would be a very reasonable thing to do…there had to be something wrong with the pair you received. This is why I explained what happened with my 325is's to you…they had that same muddy/veiled sound like you said the RS1e had, sent them to Grado…sure enough, they are fine now! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #17,953 of 65,652
I agree that it could be a faulty pair of RS1, but it might also be bad system synergy..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #17,954 of 65,652
My planned upgrade path is 60e -> 325e -> PS500e. I may keep all of them or sell off depending upon any tangible gains in SQ.

The defect rate isn't enough to scare me off. I'm pretty sure that if there are any problems, they'll most likely show up early on within the warranty period.

There doesn't seem to be any good explanation as to why so many grado's are showing up defective, but it's not enough to deter me from buying at least one pair. Whatever the issue is, I hope they rectify it sooner rather than later. I don't see what the possible issue could be. Grado has a lot of experience producing 'phones. I really doubt anything has changed drastically in the production/manufacture of the e's.

Perhaps they went with different overseas manufacturers for their parts, but they are supposedly all tested in house before heading out.

The most likely culprit is that QC/final checks are far too cursory, or perhaps even non-existent in a few cases. Or, they are indeed having problems with their suppliers, but it's on them to give each pair a decent final inspection.

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #17,955 of 65,652
Perhaps they went with different overseas manufacturers for their parts, but they are supposedly all tested in house before heading out.

So far as I know, all their parts are made in the Northeast U.S.

I haven't had any QC problems with the cheap ones (up to and including 225). Not much that can go wrong with those because the housing is plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back