Grado Fan Club!
Apr 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #13,412 of 65,796
it's probably a toss up between my RS1 and LCD-2 as far as comfort goes. The RS1 still exert some pressure on the ears, mine will eventually get sore.

Maybe it's just me then. I've mentioned before that these get a lot of piano time. With the lcd2s, I found it hard to focus on practicing even after a short period of time. With the Grados, I forget they are even there.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #13,413 of 65,796
welllllll...... yeah.
I wouldn't say the LCDs are the best for "exertional" listening, anywayz.
break in also is helpful.

What we like about their sound is partly due to what makes them LARGE.

So, I would agree that Grados are better for your use.
The smaller the Grados, the better.

Although;
for portables type use, which would seem to be what you need for piano practice, you might want to check the Sennheisers.
The wireless RS220 is fairly lightweight and has a very nice sound.
smile.gif

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #13,414 of 65,796
  Very interested to hear back on whether you like the LD1+ more or the EF2s.....

well...already I have to say this; I LIKE that the HiFiman has the power button on the front.
This seems silly, but when you are running several amps lined up on a shelf or countertop in a somewhat crowded space around/near/behind your computer, having to flip gear around to switch it on or off is a pain in the donkey.
It's feature of the Woo that I simply LOVE.
I like that very much on the HiFiman, too.

as far as sound goes....not sorted quite yet.
I want to mess with how they roll tubes just a bit first.

One thing that I "discover" over and over again, though; TUBES are HUGE in the sound,(BUH!!!),  far more than almost anything else,(provided that the build is excellent and materials are quality). I have a couple of SURPRISING little Qinpu's that I use for a bunch of different things- they even push a pair of the notoriously difficult Celestion SL6ers amazingly well.
As long as I have GOOD, High-end Tubes in there, the Qinpus sound every bit as nice as do some "better" amps, and I prefer their sound, hands down, over all of the SS amps for my listening.
For me, that tube sound just does IT.

edited for stupid typo.

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #13,415 of 65,796
I think I shoulda been more specific when I said just "audez-e." I've only had the lcd2s. I don't have any experience with the rest of the line.

What is it about the LCD-2 that some of you all didn't like?

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #13,416 of 65,796
I haven't even listened to my PS500's since I got the LCD-2's, they've just been sitting in their mahogany box...

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #13,417 of 65,796
I
welllllll...... yeah.
I wouldn't say the LCDs are the best for "exertional" listening, anywayz.
break in also is helpful.

What we like about their sound is partly due to what makes them LARGE.

So, I would agree that Grados are better for your use.
The smaller the Grados, the better.

Although;
for portables type use, which would seem to be what you need for piano practice, you might want to check the Sennheisers.
The wireless RS220 is fairly lightweight and has a very nice sound.
:smile:

I tried the hd598s. Very comfy, but something about the grados feel very organic. The resonance feels fantastic.

If I wasn't going to play a real piano, the experience had to be as organic as possible meaning the action and the sound has to be just right. The rs2s brought me extremely close. I'd sometimes check to make sure the sound is coming from the headphones and not the speakers haha. Unfortunatly I traded the rs2s for new speakers once the lcds arrived.

I didn't get rs1s because I didn't like how close the driver was to my ear on the rs2. The big cushion dulled the sound a bit too much. So naturally, I chose the lightweight gs1000s

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #13,418 of 65,796

The weight and how it felt in general. I was so used to forgetting I was wearing anything. Also, the sound too muddy for me. My hearing isn't very good. The better option would have been hd800s, but as I mentioned above (kinda), it's a psychological thing. A piano is a crafted instrument. To make the experience organic, I felt it was only natural to stick with a fully wooden grado.

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #13,419 of 65,796

Just guessing (as I like the lcd2) but they are the anti-grado. Flat bass (less punch but omnipresent and deeeeeep), lush but kind of 'distant' mids and super detailed but somehow lacking in energy up top. More a wall of sound approach with nothing forward (especially the mids compared to grado)

That's how I hear them but I like it, and they remind me of the he500 as well. Lcd2 have excellent 'neutrality' to me and are closer to how I interpret the "audiophile" neutral and transparent sound. Although I don't really know what that means either....

I need to sit down with the lcd2 along side my rs1 to get a real comparison, but it's gonna be tough to dethrone "my precious" for raw musicality/euphonics

How close are my guesses, grado fans?

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #13,420 of 65,796
Just guessing (as I like the lcd2) but they are the anti-grado. Flat bass (less punch but omnipresent and deeeeeep), lush but kind of 'distant' mids and super detailed but somehow lacking in energy up top. More a wall of sound approach with nothing forward (especially the mids compared to grado)

That's how I hear them but I like it, and they remind me of the he500 as well. Lcd2 have excellent 'neutrality' to me and are closer to how I interpret the "audiophile" neutral and transparent sound. Although I don't really know what that means either....

I need to sit down with the lcd2 along side my rs1 to get a real comparison, but it's gonna be tough to dethrone "my precious" for raw musicality/euphonics

Thanks! Are you listening to any metal/rock with the lcd2 or your electronic and hip hop basier stuff? I'm guessing that base heavier hip hop, etc. Maybe orchestrated music that wants a little more soundstage?

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #13,421 of 65,796
Thanks! Are you listening to any metal/rock with the lcd2 or your electronic and hip hop basier stuff? I'm guessing that base heavier hip hop, etc. Maybe orchestrated music that wants a little more soundstage?

I don't have the lcd2, just the he400 (which are more similar than different) but I've now had 3 multi-hour sessions with the LCD.....sorry for the confusion, it's just that I want the lcd2 bad

For me I want them specifically for bassy music to replace my 400's which are great cans. I almost never listen to rock/metal/classical/jazz on anything but my rs1 unless the 400's are already on my head and I'm too lazy to switch

Apr 1, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #13,422 of 65,796

Pretty close. I don't consider myself an audiophile. The lcds do sound fantastic. I mean they are a seriously impressive headphone, but my personal taste didn't enjoy them. They delivered beautiful bass, but the way grados do it is so nice. It's almost like when the bass hits, they are hopping off your ear. It feels very raw, crunchy and rough. (lol I dono how else to describe it)

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #13,423 of 65,796
Went to a small music festival this weekend, and while there were several great bands, the highlight for me was seeing kansas live again. Inspired me to pull out some old kansas albums and run them through my Grados :)

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #13,424 of 65,796
I swear Kansas is like the unsung hero of American rock n roll. No one ever mentions them when people talk about the best rock bands, but I've never met anyone that doesn't love jamming out to at least three of their songs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back