Grado Fan Club!
Jan 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #11,641 of 65,685
  bob marely "live at the roxy" + jriver19 dsd over pcm + ifi idsd + schiit vali + gs1000i = yessssss mahhhhhhnnnnnn

ok, just changed to the wadia, mp3 256 bit rate, mad ear, better !

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #11,642 of 65,685
Dire Straits-On Every Street > Flac >STX Dac > MAD EAR > RS1i.....Calling Elvis...anybody home...Calling Elvis...I'm here all alone....Let me leave my number, heartbreak hotel....Oh love me tender....baby don't be cruel.  
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #11,643 of 65,685
  Dire Straits-On Every Street > Flac >STX Dac > MAD EAR > RS1i.....Calling Elvis...anybody home...Calling Elvis...I'm here all alone....Let me leave my number, heartbreak hotel....Oh love me tender....baby don't be cruel.  
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #11,645 of 65,685
Hell yeah! 
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #11,646 of 65,685
Jan 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #11,647 of 65,685
I like reading about people's experiences and thoughts on the higher end Grados but man you all have spent too much $$ for me to hang with. Keep em coming, but maybe some low-budget Grado heads can contribute more if any are just lurking like I have been lately. At least until I get the RS1i I'm saving for. :wink:

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #11,648 of 65,685
I like reading about people's experiences and thoughts on the higher end Grados but man you all have spent too much $$ for me to hang with. Keep em coming, but maybe some low-budget Grado heads can contribute more if any are just lurking like I have been lately. At least until I get the RS1i I'm saving for.
wink.gif

Just grab the best Grado that you can afford to hold you over....even the SR60i has the Grado signature......heck...it is an awesome headphone.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #11,649 of 65,685
Just grab the best Grado that you can afford to hold you over....even the SR60i has the Grado signature......heck...it is an awesome headphone.

I wouldn't say I'm hurting or missing out, I've got jay's 225i and a pair of MS2i with a Magni/modi combo that I enjoy immensely. I'm just not in the major leagues with the RS, PS, or GS like a lot of dudes on here lately.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #11,650 of 65,685
I like reading about people's experiences and thoughts on the higher end Grados but man you all have spent too much $$ for me to hang with. Keep em coming, but maybe some low-budget Grado heads can contribute more if any are just lurking like I have been lately. At least until I get the RS1i I'm saving for.
wink.gif

I think the 225i is the greatest $200 can on the market, and at less than 1/3 the price of the RS1i, it's the best bargain in Grado's stellar line-up.

And now that I'm feeding them with a Burson Soloist (thanks again, Jay), I find them to be an even better value.

Black Sabbath 'Master of Reality' --> flac --> Oppo BDP-103---> Burson Soloist--->225i = awe inspiring!

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #11,651 of 65,685
I wouldn't say I'm hurting or missing out, I've got jay's 225i and a pair of MS2i with a Magni/modi combo that I enjoy immensely. I'm just not in the major leagues with the RS, PS, or GS like a lot of dudes on here lately.

long time no see !
the 225, the ones that really started it all for me, and the ms2i is the one i'd pick if something bad happened, and i had to sell off what i have now
you might want to give a vali a try, and a bit of warmth to your cans !

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #11,652 of 65,685
  long time no see !
the 225, the ones that really started it all for me, and the ms2i is the one i'd pick if something bad happened, and i had to sell off what i have now
you might want to give a vali a try, and a bit of warmth to your cans !

I was thinking about a Vali or a LD. Didn't you have an issue with the Vali being too loud for your Grados? I already can't crank the volume knob much past 10 o clock with a Magni. I think the 225s could benefit from a tad more warmth.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #11,653 of 65,685

The 225i is an awesome headphone.....I listened to it tonight for a couple of hours, while my son was at work..........It is fantastic, to say the least.

Can be had for under $200 used........that is a steal.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #11,654 of 65,685

I was thinking about a Vali or a LD. Didn't you have an issue with the Vali being too loud for your Grados? I already can't crank the volume knob much past 10 o clock with a Magni. I think the 225s could benefit from a tad more warmth.

no, what i was talking about noise wise, is the vali's tube is microphonic, i had a very early one, so it would ring longer,(less than a minute) before it went silent, than it did with the he5-le i had at the time, and the lcd2
and by the way, the he5-le loved the vali !!
i have a second vali now, schiit made some changes, the ringing is much better

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #11,655 of 65,685
Listening to Calling Elvis right now on the PS500 driven by the AQ Dragonfly.  Quite nice.  It's one of my reference songs.  I've only had the PS500 about a week and have been running them pretty much 7x24.  I'm liking them and they're very different than anything I've had.  I really can't put my finger on it.  This pushing music right into my eardrums is hard to get used to (relative to the HD800). I'm trying to stay away from the HD800 unit I get how the PS500 works for me.  I wanted something a little more forgiving but like the HD800, they're amazing will really well recorded material and do bring out the flaws in everything else.

Also trying to figure out how they fit into my life style.  I have a recliner in my office and like to sit back and listen.. and sometime snooze.  The PS500 are perfect for that.  They're nice out of my MacBook Air either directly plugged in or with the Dragonfly.  Sound is smoother and more refined with the DF. What I do like is that I can listen to them at relatively low volumes while providing a nice full sound and they're really comfortable.

I've tried the PS500 with my Naim DAC and the bass is boomy due to the relatively high 10 ohm output impedance.  Also tried with the Naim as a DAC into the Vali but the noise floor is too high so at this point (early version, ordered day one), the Dragonfly is my best bet.

Quote:
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back