Grado Fan Club!
Dec 23, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #11,131 of 65,681
Yeah that's the big dilemma for me, get the 325 now or wait a few weeks in the hopes they release more bushmills

If you’re curious about getting a Grado that sounds closer to the bushmills, consider the MS2i. The bushmills have - to my ears anyway - more subdued upper mids and treble and they remind me of the MS2i but not the 325. 

I’m one of these people who found the 325 just a bit too much on the aggressive side. Bushmills are on the other side of that line. They’re still Grados - but they’re titled slightly smoother and warmer (not like the big shift you get with the PS500)

The bushmills are still slightly darker with a bit more bass emphasis than the MS2i but those two are more similar in sound than the 325 and bushmills, imo. That’s really just due to the upper mids/ treble presentation.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #11,132 of 65,681
  To be specific. the MS1 uses 125i drivers but the cheaper 4 conductor cable and 1/8 plug from the 60i/80i.
So it fits right in between the 80i and 125i as its price reflects....

This was my understanding too.

Both MS1i & 125i use UHPLC voice coils, according to the specs, whereas the 60i/80i use standard copper. The MS1i diaphragm is also apparently doped ('de-stressed') in some way to give it a slightly more neutral sound.

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #11,134 of 65,681
I would like to hear an MS2i

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #11,135 of 65,681

If you’re curious about getting a Grado that sounds closer to the bushmills, consider the MS2i. The bushmills have - to my ears anyway - more subdued upper mids and treble and they remind me of the MS2i but not the 325. 

I’m one of these people who found the 325 just a bit too much on the aggressive side. Bushmills are on the other side of that line. They’re still Grados - but they’re titled slightly smoother and warmer (not like the big shift you get with the PS500)

The bushmills are still slightly darker with a bit more bass emphasis than the MS2i but those two are more similar in sound than the 325 and bushmills, imo. That’s really just due to the upper mids/ treble presentation.

I'm waiting for the Bushmills to arrive, and was hoping they didn't sound like the MS2i's, which I used to own, then traded a friend for the 325is's. From what I've been reading the Bushmills seem to mimic the MS2i's, which I do agree are awesome headphones, but where not aggressive enough for me.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #11,136 of 65,681
  I'm waiting for the Bushmills to arrive, and was hoping they didn't sound like the MS2i's, which I used to own, then traded a friend for the 325is's. From what I've been reading the Bushmills seem to mimic the MS2i's, which I do agree are awesome headphones, but where not aggressive enough for me.

hmm, yeah, you may not be 100% happy with the bushmills tuning. I find it less aggressive than my other Grados. It’s got the details and texture that you expect form the 325 or RS2 (once bowls are put on) but the tone is tilted downward. Or maybe more accurately, the existing peaks in the high frequency response are lowered by a few dB compared to other Grados.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #11,137 of 65,681

hmm, yeah, you may not be 100% happy with the bushmills tuning. I find it less aggressive than my other Grados. It’s got the details and texture that you expect form the 325 or RS2 (once bowls are put on) but the tone is tilted downward. Or maybe more accurately, the existing peaks in the high frequency response are lowered by a few dB compared to other Grados.

Sounds like it will be a great Grado for Sennheiser fans. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #11,138 of 65,681
Don't forget the MS2i
biggrin.gif

Found 'em...

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #11,143 of 65,681

Even from your description, like most others, it sounds like its very close to an MS2i, so I'll hear if I like them when they arrive.

Dec 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #11,144 of 65,681
 this talk of ms2i's, ps500's, has me waxing nostalgic !!
they go so well together , while i'm going to probably give the gs1000i
a try first, i may get one , of those back, depending on how i  gs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back