Grado Fan Club!
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #10,861 of 65,645
You can see from this front view how it is laid out with one pentode per channel in single ended configuration (SEP); two output transformers; and then the power section - transformer, rectifier tube and choke - in the rear.
The toggle between the output transformers switches between speakers and headphone.

MAD has a single driver tube > 2 x output tubes
SEX is triode (SET not SEP) and not tube rectified

She should be here by lunch time.
popcorn.gif

I will of course take better pics...after we're properly introduced...

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #10,862 of 65,645
with all my gear comings and goings here, i had almost forgotten that i ordered a vali,
it just got here a day early, this little sucker is powerful !

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #10,863 of 65,645
  Hey guys and gals.

I feel like I mention this all the time, but I have some fairly well-respected headphones, as can be seen in my signature.  But time after time, it's the 225is that I have on my ears, followed by the AD, iGrado, then the 5LE's.  My wife has the Sennheisers.

The thing is, none of my high-end cans give anywhere near the same visceral, tactile experience that the 225i's give me.  The AD's have some serious sub-bass, but I think it's at the expense of midrange and slam.

So my question is this- are there any 'high end' cans outside of Grado that give the same physical experience? With the 225i's, I feel the pluck of the guitar string, and feel the stick hit the drum head.  Not so much the other cans. Does any other brand of HP do this? Maybe the HD800?

Nice to hear as I have the 225i's as well. But they are my only HPs. I keep dropping money on other audio gear. Endlessly debating the RS1i and the HE500. But,  these cans do rock!

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #10,864 of 65,645
OH YEAH!!! My Bushmills are out for delivery. Should be on my ears very soon. I'll post up initial impressions as soon as I can.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #10,866 of 65,645
  with all my gear comings and goings here, i had almost forgotten that i ordered a vali,
it just got here a day early, this little sucker is powerful !

It's really hard to keep up you, LOL!!!
You can really be a bad (good) influence!
Congratulations on the Vali, enjoy!
As a matter of fact, I just put my Schiit M/M combo back on the desktop, I feel for me my 325's sound more my taste with this amp, rather than the LD. The LD may be a little to dark sounding for the 325's to me, where as the M/M is brighter, so the LD will be retired for a while.

You can see from this front view how it is laid out with one pentode per channel in single ended configuration (SEP); two output transformers; and then the power section - transformer, rectifier tube and choke - in the rear.
The toggle between the output transformers switches between speakers and headphone.

MAD has a single driver tube > 2 x output tubes
SEX is triode (SET not SEP) and not tube rectified

She should be here by lunch time.
popcorn.gif

I will of course take better pics...after we're properly introduced...

You haven't even met her yet, and you showed us pictures of her naked last night!!!
Once again enjoy it and let us know how you like it, with both, headphones and speakers. Really nice looking!

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #10,867 of 65,645
It's really hard to keep up you, LOL!!!
You can really be a bad (good) influence!
Congratulations on the Vali, enjoy!
As a matter of fact, I just put my Schiit M/M combo back on the desktop, I feel for me my 325's sound more my taste with this amp, rather than the LD. The LD may be a little to dark sounding for the 325's to me, where as the M/M is brighter, so the LD will be retired for a while.

You haven't even met her yet, and you showed us pictures of her naked last night!!!
Once again enjoy it and let us know how you like it, with both, headphones and speakers. Really nice looking!

Not a serious buy really, a just for the hell of it, haven't had a chance to really listen to it, just about 20 minutes , its seriously powerful it seems

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #10,872 of 65,645
Sadly my Alessandro MS-Pros are not getting much use as I am spending more time with my speakers in my new house. They sound great but need a new home so I will be listing them in the FS section...

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #10,873 of 65,645
  Trust me, I'd rather have the HP-1 + HPA-2, but the thought of buying another HP-1000 was too much!
That amp needs to be with an HP-1000.
Hoping I'll love this one-off tuber near as much...

I believe you, the HP1000 and HPA2, do make magic together.
And if I were in you shoes, I probably woul've done the same thing.
  Says the man with the good stuff...
biggrin.gif

I prefer tu use the term, different stuff, as I've said before, I think that the sweet spot is at about $500 - $600, after that, it' every headphones game.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #10,874 of 65,645
Dec 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #10,875 of 65,645
His amps are not expensive = labor of love
I'm 2nd owner but I was told $485 new for this one and it is built like a tank with good parts.
He shut his website. and I understand he only works by phone now and pretty much just for friends/old customers.
His amps do come up on a-gon as his customers seem to have more than one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back