Grado Fan Club!
Dec 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #10,667 of 65,799
i think it can be like ice cream, i love ice cream, and i love different flavors, if i have only one, it can get boring ! lol
but we're all different, different strokes for different folks ! :D

I try to find headphones that sound nothing like one another.

Right now I have:
Grado RS1
Audio Technical AD2000X
AKG K550

I have a Beyer DT990 on the way and I'm looking for a good deal on a Philips Fidelio X1 and/or LCD 2.

I also have a pair of Audio-Technica WS99s but they just don't fit me well.

ICE CREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! <3 xD

Actually, I have 3 headphones/earphones that sound very differently, XBA-4 (the bass!!!), Grado (bright), Annie's (warmish slightly forward mids). I don't see myself going for the Sony except for on the go. I do go back to my Grado once in awhile for only rocks otherwise, I stick with my Annie's the entire afternoon/morning (where my listening section is held) xD

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #10,668 of 65,799
Go get the GS1000i. You can turn them up to rock-concert levels and they never hurt. Super-sweet phone, way under-appreciated, worth every cent even at retail.
I gave up on a zillion phones, but the G's are keepers. (And they get amazingly better with long break in. The bass gets tighter for one thing, and all sorts of other things fall into place.)

If you have the dough, skip the grado extension cable and get a Moon Silver Dragon one. ( I'm tempted to say is sounds even better with the Moon extension than with no extension at all,
but this doesn't make sense, so I won't...)

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #10,669 of 65,799
Reading the many posts here on Head-Fi, I sometimes like to take a step back and realise how lucky I am to be able to own all these wonderful headphones. I try never to lose track of the fact that while I'm trying to decide wich of the GS/PS/HP1000 I'm going to use for my listening session, some people don't even know where their next meal will be coming from. To these people, even my SR80i would be considered luxury.

Regarding the topic of people that tend to overanalize music, instead of just siting back and listen peacefully, In my case, it dépends on what I'm listening, if I'm listening, to a CD or SACD, I will have a tendency to scrutinize the sound.

I have 4 modest sound systems, 3 of wich are vintage composed mostly from Yamaha and Marantz gear from the 70's. Now, if someone would've told me a few years ago that I'd be listening with my PS1000 to $1.00 thrift store LPs on a Marantz 6300 turntable, wich has a basic $40 Grado Black cartridge and is hooked up to a Marantz 2220B reciever, I would've bust out laughing.

Everybody here know that Grados won't make chiken soup out of chicken poop. but if you're able to get past vinyl's pops and ticks, you can be in for some very pleasing listening sessions, for very little money. 

Dec 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #10,670 of 65,799
Comparing the AKG K420 to the Grado SR80is (Vibro L-Cush) right now, listenining to Radiohead - Live from the Basement. It's the first time I have the chance to compare the sr80is to another product of the same price range. I was realy happy with the 420 K right from the box, far from home with my phone, but it's hardly an option for home listening. I still have to listen to the AKG a little more though.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #10,671 of 65,799
My Sylvania 5751 BPTM on the MAD EAR+ have got about 100 hrs and IMO I haven't heard the PS1000s sound better.
Yes, not even with the great Apex Pinnacle. 
Other than HP1000s and PS1s, all my Grados sound absolutely sensational with this amp.

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #10,672 of 65,799
well, my great journey into a more upscale headphone neighborhood looks like it won't end with the first stop at the house audeze,
i think it'll be for sell tomorrow, i'm going to sleep on it tonight.
mr grado may have spoiled me

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #10,673 of 65,799
  well, my great journey into a more upscale headphone neighborhood looks like it won't end with the first stop at the house audeze,
i think it'll be for sell tomorrow, i'm going to sleep on it tonight.
mr grado may have spoiled me

You aven't talked about comfort, but you have one of the lightest, and one of heavyest headphones on the market.

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #10,674 of 65,799

You aven't talked about comfort, but you have one of the lightest, and one of heavyest headphones on the market.

actually i was expecting the lcd to be VERY uncomfortable, its not.  after the first couple of days, i got used to it, but i can see how it could be an issue for some
what is the issue concerning the audeze is at the price,even though i bought used, and got a good deal, it seems i should love it, with everything.
i pretty much love the rs1 with everything
so the last day or so, i'm thinking , sell the audeze, pursue the gs1000i,
but then, just now finished listening to bitches brew, just off spotify, and i thought the sound was amazing
i know i do like the audeze more than anything other than the rs1i and  the ps500
i suppose the prudent thing to do, would be keep evaluating , that couldn't hurt thats for sure

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #10,675 of 65,799
I was just listening to my system in its present incarnation tonight, Some Aja and Coltrane, started out with my 225i and switched to the 325i and I was just marveling at how tremendously good it sounded, absolutely incredible. This is by far the best stereo system I have ever had, and the whole thing cost less than $1k. If anything else I think Grado gives outstanding value, show me another $300 retail phone that comes close to the 325i, it will be a very short list.

Dec 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #10,676 of 65,799
  I was just listening to my system in its present incarnation tonight, Some Aja and Coltrane, started out with my 225i and switched to the 325i and I was just marveling at how tremendously good it sounded, absolutely incredible. This is by far the best stereo system I have ever had, and the whole thing cost less than $1k. If anything else I think Grado gives outstanding value, show me another $300 retail phone that comes close to the 325i, it will be a very short list.

The HE-300 beats the pants off of everything sub-$300 now that it's $150.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #10,677 of 65,799
I'm currently borrowing a PS1000 from a friend of mine to try out ~ I'll have it for a week while he has my LCD2. I was curious why this flagship was treated like the leper of top cans. So far these are by far one of the best low volume listening headphones I've heard. At higher volume I can understand some comments about the treble being a bit aggressive, but nothing some gentle EQ can't fix. I enjoy the PS1000 a lot with acoustic jazz, acoustic live gigs and I'm liking it at lot with bands like Blood Ceremony, Jex Thoth, Pallbearer, Spirit Caravan, Candlemass.

Although in some technical regards like Imaging or say bass rumble they don't stack up, I couldn't care less as this sounds rather like live performances I'm used to with Jazz and rock. It is a substantial amount of money to drop on one can for some people, really though at my current amount of collection I could very well see adding this to my collection just for its interesting and unique sound. I can understand those who steer away as a all rounder, I think it suits certain songs a lot and not some others.

Still I'm certainly enjoying this a lot headphone ~ especially works for late night listening at low volume when I'm tired.

I had heard this headphone previously, briefly as well. But actually being able to sit down in quiet here myself the feeling is completely different for this.

Just my 2c.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #10,679 of 65,799
The ps500 is a very different sonically then the 325... Its bassy and has less treble... I prefer both the ps500 and rs1 to the 325... I think its worth the price difference but id recommend the sr80 or 225 as a less expensive entry into the world of grado. What kind of music do you listen to?

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #10,680 of 65,799
  My Sylvania 5751 BPTM on the MAD EAR+ have got about 100 hrs and IMO I haven't heard the PS1000s sound better.
Yes, not even with the great Apex Pinnacle. 
Other than HP1000s and PS1s, all my Grados sound absolutely sensational with this amp.

I am fully onboard with the Sylvania 5751 black plate triple mica tube.....combined with the MAD EAR+.... the synergy is the best I have heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back