Grado Fan Club!
Mar 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #12,556 of 65,858
Which is weird. Grado qoted me $40 for a headband. How is turbulent labs making a better headband for about the same price ($38) with a lot more padding?

I don't know that Grado takes advantage of lower labor costs overseas, whereas Turbulent Labs has manufacturing facilities in Malaysia. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Grado utilizes domestic manufacturing/labor. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #12,557 of 65,858
...not sure about where there parts are made, but I suspect the bulk is done here...in the US, in their Brooklyn outfit. I sent some SR80i in for repairs, and got a hand-written response from John with them. When you send cans in for repair, they are being done here in the US by Grado staff.

Some of the tour articles I have read have pictures of injection molding equipment for plastic parts, and what looked rather like assembly stations for drivers/record player needles, etc...this debate has come up a bajillion times though, and become rather heated.

John Grado has been quoted as saying its all done here, in the US, in Brooklyn by some folks though.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #12,559 of 65,858
its march, time for the annual beacon run, this years the last for the brothers.......

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #12,560 of 65,858
+1 - I have a TL headband  (it looks and feels awesome) waiting for me to do my full mod set on my RS1i.  Going to order aluminum gymbals/rodblocks and stain the wood.. will do all the mods in one shot but in no real hurry.  Just enjoying the RS1i as it is.
Quote:
Personally I couldn't care less where it's made. The turbulent labs headband is a better product.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #12,561 of 65,858
Personally I couldn't care less where it's made. The turbulent labs headband is a better product.

I"m sure that's true, but you were talking about the price disparity. Where it's made is a significant factor. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #12,563 of 65,858

Funny, I asked Schiit which they would recommend, the Valhalla or the Lyr and they said Valhalla. They said it was a quieter amp and the low impedance Grado's would make the noise floor noticeable on the Lyr.

even funnier, way back,before i'd bought any schiit, i sent schiit an email asking the same thing, jason emailed me back, saying the lyr, and said thats what one of the guys at grado used as a reference. he said the vahalla, being "all tube" wasn't optimal

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #12,564 of 65,858

even funnier, way back,before i'd bought any schiit, i sent schiit an email asking the same thing, jason emailed me back, saying the lyr, and said thats what one of the guys at grado used as a reference. he said the vahalla, being "all tube" wasn't optimal

i was actually wanting the vahalla at the time too, i went lyr based on jason's recommendation, interesting

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #12,565 of 65,858

i was actually wanting the vahalla at the time too, i went lyr based on jason's recommendation, interesting

Just curious, you don't seem to have the Lyr any longer. I am thinking it didn't work out in the long run? I was hoping to find a reason to get the Lyr actually. Not just for the Grado's but it seems like a LOT of headphones work well with it. If you look at the headphone amp suggestions people make, sooner or later (usually sooner) someone will suggest the Lyr, no matter what kind of phone it is. Seems to do a lot of things well or it wouldn't have so many people liking it.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #12,567 of 65,858

Just curious, you don't seem to have the Lyr any longer. I am thinking it didn't work out in the long run? I was hoping to find a reason to get the Lyr actually. Not just for the Grado's but it seems like a LOT of headphones work well with it. If you look at the headphone amp suggestions people make, sooner or later (usually sooner) someone will suggest the Lyr, no matter what kind of phone it is. Seems to do a lot of things well or it wouldn't have so many people liking it.

you hit the nail on the head !
if i was just going to have one amp, for everything, it would probably be the lyr,
i sold it because i had gotten the bryston to replace the mjolnir i sold and i wanted to get a MAD Ear+
the guy i sold the lyr to, if he ever sales it, will offer it to me first, we've traded it between us a couple of times !
the lyr, is an awesome, versatile amp, that doesn't cost a bundle

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #12,570 of 65,858
I'm currently looking at the LCD2/Lyr combo, and am also curious about the Grado/Lyr combo as I'll be keeping my Grado's, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back