Grado Fan Club!
Aug 8, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #8,446 of 65,891
Thanks for the tips guys.
A friend told me that re cabling with copper solved the issue, but doing that is...a problem for me (I'm in Reunion island, means, finding a dealer would be sending away the grado for a long time).
Someone suggested the fostek HP-A8C to be the perfect match for the PS1000, it's a 1600€ dac/amp, though...
Could sold my burson dac and amp, but it's a hard decision to take.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #8,447 of 65,891
Grados are already cabled in ultra low oxygen copper cable, I thought

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #8,448 of 65,891
It is. it's a nice, thick copper cable.

A recable is not going to radically change the PS1000 sound (or any headphone, really) if there's massive changes to the impedance of the phone due to an oddly designed cable, it can have an effect with certain sources. 

Seriously, look into EQ first, note the FR changes that get you the treble response you like, and then ask around if there are amps that can do something similar.

I owned the Burson HA160 amp and PS1000 two years ago. I actually did not find that amp to be very bright. Other amps - like the internal amp in the Benchmark DAC1 - are a little leaner and lighter than the Burson.

I have a Burson HA160D now and just recently replaced it with the Audio GD NFB10. The Burson was darker and had less treble energy than the Audio GD unit. (this is testing with a hifiman HE500, Senn IE800 and Grado SR60).

So if you find the Burson HA160 bright with the PS1000, you might need to reconsider more than just the amp.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #8,449 of 65,891
Cant wait to get my ps1000s tomorrow. Luckily i never felt grados to be too bright for me, and i always havet tubes to bring down the treble.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #8,450 of 65,891
i have a tracking number for the ps500's !! i'm officially excited

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #8,451 of 65,891
then your ears/brain may not be the best match for the PS1000.

I wouldn't rush into any costly "corrections or compensations" on high quality cans I just bought.

I'd give a couple weeks for "listener burn in", then be able to determine if they are the right headphone for me or not.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #8,453 of 65,891
Quote:
I wouldn't rush into any costly "corrections or compensations" on high quality cans I just bought.

I'd give a couple weeks for "listener burn in", then be able to determine if they are the right headphone for me or not.

Sure, i didn't specify a timetable for anything. It may take a while to get used to something. However, it's been my experience that the headphones I've loved the most were the ones I liked almost immediately. I never needed more than a couple days to figure out if something was my taste or not. Other people might need a bit longer.

And I suggested EQ because 1) it's free and 2) it's easy to see the extent of the FR adjustment that one might be looking for in the future. Considering that the person had received other suggestions from outside the forum that involved a pricey recabling and/or buying a 2000 dollar Fostex DAC/amp, I think messing around with EQ is a pretty safe option to try out. :)

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #8,454 of 65,891
Sure, i didn't specify a timetable for anything. It may take a while to get used to something. However, it's been my experience that the headphones I've loved the most were the ones I liked almost immediately. I never needed more than a couple days to figure out if something was my taste or not. Other people might need a bit longer.

And I suggested EQ because 1) it's free and 2) it's easy to see the extent of the FR adjustment that one might be looking for in the future. Considering that the person had received other suggestions from outside the forum that involved a pricey recabling and/or buying a 2000 dollar Fostex DAC/amp, I think messing around with EQ is a pretty safe option to try out. :)

+1 on all of this.

Especially your comments on amps, they are pretty expensive "tone controls".

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #8,455 of 65,891
Today i got my hands on a pair of sr225i. It's absurd. I can listen to music properly even when i am wearing them with the earpieces heading the wrong way.

Also they really offend my ears for now.
Also they are really uncomfortable.
Also it is impossible to get a good seal using the bowls.
Also the dual entry cable knots itself all the time.

But so far i really like the sound.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #8,456 of 65,891
Quote:
i have a tracking number for the ps500's !! i'm officially excited

Jay, I'll be curious to read your impressions. The ps500 and RS1i and HE500 are my short list. Just haven't been able to audition anything beyond the 325. So, far I'm leaning toward the HE500 as I haven't been able to audition the 500 and RS1 and I thought the HE500 would contrast well with my 225s when I auditioned at a meet a few months ago.

I remember you had the 225 as I do....please do a follow up post when you have some time.

Cheers,
Mark

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #8,457 of 65,891
Jay, I'll be curious to read your impressions. The ps500 and RS1i and HE500 are my short list. Just haven't been able to audition anything beyond the 325. So, far I'm leaning toward the HE500 as I haven't been able to audition the 500 and RS1 and I thought the HE500 would contrast well with my 225s when I auditioned at a meet a few months ago.

I remember you had the 225 as I do....please do a follow up post when you have some time.

Cheers,
Mark

The 225i is good... the PS500 is outright sexual... (having both on hand to compare makes this one easy)

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #8,458 of 65,891
Quote:
The 225i is good... the PS500 is outright sexual... (having both on hand to compare makes this one easy)

Where would you place the RS1 in your assessment?

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #8,459 of 65,891
Where would you place the RS1 in your assessment?

The RS1i is awesome... more exciting then the PS500, not as forgiving... the PS500 has a larger sound stage, more bass, smoother treble, all without abandoning the Grado sound completely.

The RS1i has its merits, and is a good complimentary can if you have something smoother/warmer to go with it, where as the PS500 is a good all rounder...

The RS1i I personally would place just behind the PS500 BUT that could be argued either way. Get the RS1i if you like the sr80 but want more bass/mids/treble/detail/everything with a similar frequency response... the PS500 if you like your sr225i but wish the highs were smoother, and the overall sound had more body. (a lot more body)

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #8,460 of 65,891
hey Grado fans!  

i can swing either the SR60 or the SR80 - other than the obvious price difference, is it really worth the extra $$ for the SR80?  would the SR225i's HONESTLY be that much better...cause i could probably do that if they were ABSOLUTELY worth the jump

i'm looking to get in to the grado sound for something different (currently in love with my HE400's), not looking for the end game setup LOL

thanks head-fiers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back