Grado Fan Club!
Aug 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #8,431 of 65,854
Quote:
Hey Jay....another  PS500 has been posted in the buy/sell/trade

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out, as soon as the daughter and I get finished getting her locker for her freshman year in high school!

They're mine. I've got a lot of headphones in house right now. With a major home renovation, I've had my main rig mostly put away (though I do put it together for weekend use) so I've been listening to portable headphones mostly over the summer:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-senn-momentum-sony-mdr-1r-bose-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000

Now with the renovations nearing their end (next week...fingers crossed), I'm looking at clearing out some headphones and with the SR-009s, LCD-3s, HD800s and TH-900s (plus some of the portable headphones...though some are gone and some will be gone), the PS500s didn't get the listening time they deserved. So I guess its time that they found a new home. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #8,432 of 65,854
Quote:

just bought PS1000s, should get them friday brand new!!!

biggrin.gif

im curious as to how they compare to my T1, which is still my fav headphone (maybe not best, but favorite)

Nice!!! That was fast! lol

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #8,433 of 65,854
This is pulled out of the blue, and does not sound like it would go well with what the specs of the Crack are. But did I hear that the Crack + Speedball goes with Grado's very well?

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #8,435 of 65,854
Quote:
If I were going to pick up a used pair, I'd buy from MH for sure. Those 500s will be gone in a flash. 

Thanks man. BTW, they just sold. 
size]
  The new owner will give them the attention that they deserve!

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #8,436 of 65,854
Quote:
If I were going to pick up a used pair, I'd buy from MH for sure. Those 500s will be gone in a flash. 

and the 500's are coming to alabama !! just did the deal, MH said they'd be in the mail tomorrow !

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #8,437 of 65,854
Aug 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #8,439 of 65,854
That transaction was just meant to happen, methinks :)

I can definitely understand how the 500s would be a bit lonely among all those beautiful toys that MH has....I still drool over those LCD-3s every time I see them

Jaywillin: Congrats!! That worked out great for you!

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #8,441 of 65,854
Just got my PS1000 delivered:) Second hand, but really like new.
I'm listening to them right now, itunes (24/96 m4a) -> audirvana plus -> M2tech-> Burson audio dac -Burson Audio HA160 (QED silver genesis cable, supra power cable).

the bass and medium are fantastic, same goes for the very well defined high, but they are a bit on the bright side, at least with my setup. it's not a surprise though, everything that i've read pointed my in that direction, the burson audio HA160 are not perfect for them, they tend to give a quite agressive high frequency.

though, one thing I can already see if how wide the scene is, that's really gorgeous.

Aug 8, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #8,444 of 65,854
The PS1000 is a really bright headphone out of almost any amp (bright with the upper treble only, not with upper mids like the RS1). You would need to either use aggressive EQ or get an amp that’s kind of sloppy and syrupy to reduce the brightness.

I suggest you try some EQ first to see how much you need to adjust the treble to make it not bright for you. If it’s more than, say, 2 or 3 dB of EQ, then your ears/brain may not be the best match for the PS1000.

I know, I know, this is the “fan club” but the PS1000 is a divisive headphone that does not mesh with everyone because of its frequency response. So that’s why I suggest trying some EQ before spending money on an amp that might need to seriously warp the FR to make the PS1000 sound the way you want.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #8,445 of 65,854
The PS1000 is a really bright headphone out of almost any amp (bright with the upper treble only, not with upper mids like the RS1). You would need to either use aggressive EQ or get an amp that’s kind of sloppy and syrupy to reduce the brightness.

I suggest you try some EQ first to see how much you need to adjust the treble to make it not bright for you. If it’s more than, say, 2 or 3 dB of EQ, then your ears/brain may not be the best match for the PS1000.

I know, I know, this is the “fan club” but the PS1000 is a divisive headphone that does not mesh with everyone because of its frequency response. So that’s why I suggest trying some EQ before spending money on an amp that might need to seriously warp the FR to make the PS1000 sound the way you want.

So soon I'm going for a quest, to find the perfect amp matching the PS1000, or dac amp. Maybe the new soloist, or something totally different, to cancel this "brightness".

On a less expensive note, a Little Dot 1+ with some Voshkod tubes might do the trick for cheap... Cheap I know, BUT it worked well when I auditioned the PS1000 and I run it daily now with a number of low impedance cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back