Grado Fan Club!
Mar 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #6,631 of 66,264
This was exactly where I was going with that question - because while they say that, they also show pictures of the thing hooked up to Grados (!!!), and I figured *someone* out there would've tried it by now. Good to hear it works - I'm assuming it's dead quiet (at least until you turn it up to insane levels)? Or is there some hiss/hum?

"Silent Running" (Bruce Dern, probably before your time) :)

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #6,633 of 66,264
Hey Grado fans. I want to recommend this mod to improve the comfort.

I realized the the foam is compress too much that expose the cup that press against my ears.

I want to raise it higher and add support underneath. I added a thick cable tie:

The result is very good, no hotspot even when I am wearing spectacle. Try it!

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #6,634 of 66,264
Quote:
This is a matter of opinion and of course your wallet! I love grado! Now the fun part of it, if you are on a tight budget then I would recommend the sr80i. This is one hell of a headphone for that price, you can take that to the bank! Now if the well is deep, then try getting the midrange grado such as the RS series, either the 1-2. Or the ps500, they range from 500 to 700$. They are very excellent sounding cans! Better soundstage, transparent, with sl. coloration and very adequate bass impact, but all in all, the grado sound signature is the one you want!

My toughts exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #6,635 of 66,264
Quote:

I realized the the foam is compress too much that expose the cup that press against my ears.

I want to raise it higher and add support underneath. I added a thick cable tie:

So you are actually recessing the drivers, so in return their must be a difference in sound quality, no?
How does this improve the comfort?
Are your ears actually touching the drivers (without) the tie wrap ?

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #6,636 of 66,264
Quote:
I wanted to chime in as a follow up on my GS1k vs PS500 comparison. Just to refresh, I bought the 500s in June of last year and they pretty much instantly became my favorite headphone. In November, I had the chance to do a trade-in at my local audio shop on a pair of new GS1000s, so I took the chance to do that. At first the GS1ks were not competing as strongly as I'd hoped, with the 500s still holding my top spot. The GS's gradually seemed to improve, and I realized that they are more in need of a good amp whereas the 500s sound great out of just about anything. It's now been a few months, but I'm ready to say that although the GS1ks have closed the gap and I consider them a very nice headphone - and a beautiful LOOKING headphone - the PS500s are still the champ in my book. When you factor in the difference in price, it's even a more clear choice for me. That being said, I dont' regret buying the GS1ks for a minute...and I can even see how some might prefer them to others in the Grado line. I just happen to prefer the 500s a bit more. 

Next up, I want to pick up some RS-1s to play around with and compare them to the 500s. Then after that is done, I'll eventually take that one big step up Chrome Mountain! 

PS. And by the way, thanks to all who have been so active in this thread over the last few months. The other day I came on here and there were over FIFTY new responses in this thread over a 24hr period...thats way more active than it used to be, and I love hearing all the words of wisdom from current Grado owners, as well as the new accounts from those who are buying Grados for the first time. I look forward to reading everyone's takes each day! 

As always, a well written, objective and non offensive post, you've got class my friend.

That is a nice change of pace from what i have read in another thread, where someone reffered to the PS500 as P.O.S., sorry but someone who writes this kind of comments as ZRERO credibility in my book.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #6,637 of 66,264
Quote:
So you are actually recessing the drivers, so in return their must be a difference in sound quality, no?
How does this improve the comfort?
Are your ears actually touching the drivers (without) the tie wrap ?

If you see the first picture, there is actually no support on the foam so when wearing, it is level to the driver housing and very uncomfortable especially for people like me who is wearing spectacle. The cable tie add support so the foam won't compress too much. As of sound, there is no changes.

There is another model I did with extra foam padding here -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/657340/a-simple-mod-for-a-comfy-grado-pix-inside#post_9303591

More pictures but all you need is this and most people have cable tie in the house. Try it and totally removable if it doesn't do anything for you :)

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #6,638 of 66,264
Quote:
If you see the first picture, there is actually no support on the foam so when wearing, it is level to the driver housing and very uncomfortable especially for people like me who is wearing spectacle. The cable tie add support so the foam won't compress too much. As of sound, there is no changes.

There is another model I did with extra foam padding here -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/657340/a-simple-mod-for-a-comfy-grado-pix-inside#post_9303591

More pictures but all you need is this and most people have cable tie in the house. Try it and totally removable if it doesn't do anything for you :)

I see,so it gives you a little more of (cushion), being it's not right up against the driver. Nice!
I personally don't have any issues with the (L) cushion, but I can understand your discomfort with wearing glasses.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #6,639 of 66,264
Quote:
I see,so it gives you a little more of (cushion), being it's not right up against the driver. Nice!
I personally don't have any issues with the (L) cushion, but I can understand your discomfort with wearing glasses.

Right. Even without glasses it make it better too :)

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #6,641 of 66,264
Quote:

I had similar issue, so I bend the headband outward like many people do. Cool mod though, I'll try it when I get home on my sr125's. Also, you should also post your mods/findings here (...post your Grado Mods thread).

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #6,642 of 66,264
Quote:
I had similar issue, so I bend the headband outward like many people do. Cool mod though, I'll try it when I get home on my sr125's. Also, you should also post your mods/findings here (...post your Grado Mods thread).

Right Wormsdriver,

I did bend my headband and I modify my flat pad too (DIY cut myself).

You can see very clearly from this pix, either Bowl or S-cushion the "donut" shape doesn't have anything to support. When wearing, you are pushing out the "donut" in and driver out against your ears. At least the unmodded S-cushion have a layer of foam there for it is more comfortable but didn't sound as nice as the bowl or my modded S-cushion.

Maybe you can post your experience too :)

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #6,643 of 66,264
^"Ah, I see" ...said the blind man.
size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #6,644 of 66,264
Quote:

As always, a well written, objective and non offensive post, you've got class my friend.

That is a nice change of pace from what i have read in another thread, where someone reffered to the PS500 as P.O.S., sorry but someone who writes this kind of comments as ZRERO credibility in my book.

Thanks, brother...I really appreciate that! You are one of the biggest contributors to this thread and one of the main reasons I enjoy participating here, as well. I always look forward to reading your posts 
beerchug.gif
   We're lucky, cause the Grado thread is typically one of the most civil on head-fi based on what I've seen...we have some really good folks taking part here. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #6,645 of 66,264
How are the igrado's in comparison to say, the koss porta pros and koss ksc75's?

Unmodded igrado's, that is. 

Hey,
I have a pair of iGrados, they are one of my favourite small, cheap, portable 'phones.
I've gone into a couple of shops to find a small pair of phones, my favourites were the iGrados and the Senn PX-100 ii.
Unfortunately I can't remember all the 'phones I didn't like, but everything else sounded second best.
My only compliant is they go around the back of your head, NOT the top of your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back