Grado Fan Club!
Mar 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #6,602 of 66,264
Quote:
thank :)

and are you going for, lets say a equivalent sound signature or use the opportunity to explore something different when you cant go open air ?

Something different, the Grados and AKG are when I'm relaxed at home and taking the time to explore music in detail, the others are for when I'm traveling and usually listening to anything from audiobooks to dramatizations as well as a variety of music in a variety of environments.

It IS fun to hear a different sound signature, either way, keeps my ears from getting bored.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #6,603 of 66,264
We're traveling down the west coast, couple weeks out, couple more to go. At home, Schiit Bifrost/Valhalla/RS1i. With me, Dragonfly/SR60 (old, with L-cush). Same source for both, wav & flac files via Jplay. Will the RS1is sound great when I get home? Yup. Do I really miss that setup? Nope. Just listened to a 'Round Midnight' playlist, six versions from 1947 (Monk) to 2009 (Pat Martino), and the SR60s are ridiculous, opening up a beautifully transparent window on the recordings. $80 in 2013!!!! Why wouldn't all music lovers own a pair?

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #6,604 of 66,264
Something different, the Grados and AKG are when I'm relaxed at home and taking the time to explore music in detail, the others are for when I'm traveling and usually listening to anything from audiobooks to dramatizations as well as a variety of music in a variety of environments.

It IS fun to hear a different sound signature, either way, keeps my ears from getting bored.
Yeah me too. At home love my k702, but while traveling or at work or just anywhere, my workhorse is my sr80 grado, paired with my fiio e7, you can't go wrong about it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #6,605 of 66,264
Quote:
We're traveling down the west coast, couple weeks out, couple more to go. At home, Schiit Bifrost/Valhalla/RS1i. With me, Dragonfly/SR60 (old, with L-cush). Same source for both, wav & flac files via Jplay. Will the RS1is sound great when I get home? Yup. Do I really miss that setup? Nope. Just listened to a 'Round Midnight' playlist, six versions from 1947 (Monk) to 2009 (Pat Martino), and the SR60s are ridiculous, opening up a beautifully transparent window on the recordings. $80 in 2013!!!! Why wouldn't all music lovers own a pair?

Yes! SR60 with L-Cush is a ridiculously great value of a headphone!

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #6,606 of 66,264
hi
im wondering what do grado fan use when they need isolation ?

You can see *all* of my closed cans in my profile, but if I want an at least *somewhat* "Grado-like" presentation:

- Koss MV1
- Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X

Neither is really the same as the RS-1, but those two are probably the closest I've yet heard. MV1 are closer than the ATs, but harder to drive.

The Valhalla does a good job with the Grados? I'm very interested in hearing about that...:D

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #6,607 of 66,264
Quote:

I'm shopping for my first DAC.

I've got  a 225i. I'm able to stream and listen to my PC music files from an Onkyo receiver through my home wifi network. I've not purchased a DAC yet. I'm just curious how much better listening to my PC music files or even streaming sounds from a PC w/ a decent dedicated DAC vs from my Onkyo receiver with the DAC that the receiver comes with....

any thoughts?

I know that if I pop in a CD into my Onkyo dedicated CD player and listen through the HP jack on the CD player that it sounds better than through the HP jack on my receiver. And, I realize that streaming from something like Rhapsody won't sound as good as a well recorded CD. I would say that the Onkyo receiver sounds OK, but not fantastic.

I'm looking at the two DACs you mention in you post among others (Hrt strmer, MODI, etc.) I guess I'm debating that..... if a DAC thru my PC won't improve the SQ fairly dramatically is it worth the purchase given that I can access my digital music through my stereo receiver.....

I know this is a little off topic, but I am listening to a Grado
happy_face1.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #6,608 of 66,264
Quote:
hi
im wondering what do grado fan use when they need isolation ?

DT660.  Very efficient, great isolation, has the brightness but not the mid-bass bump of the 325is.  Has more sub-bass.  HTH.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #6,609 of 66,264
I'm shopping for my first DAC.

I've got  a 225i. I'm able to stream and listen to my PC music files from an Onkyo receiver through my home wifi network. I've not purchased a DAC yet. I'm just curious how much better listening to my PC music files or even streaming sounds from a PC w/ a decent dedicated DAC vs from my Onkyo receiver with the DAC that the receiver comes with....

any thoughts?

I know that if I pop in a CD into my Onkyo dedicated CD player and listen through the HP jack on the CD player that it sounds better than through the HP jack on my receiver. And, I realize that streaming from something like Rhapsody won't sound as good as a well recorded CD. I would say that the Onkyo receiver sounds OK, but not fantastic.

I'm looking at the two DACs you mention in you post among others (Hrt strmer, MODI, etc.) I guess I'm debating that..... if a DAC thru my PC won't improve the SQ fairly dramatically is it worth the purchase given that I can access my digital music through my stereo receiver.....

I know this is a little off topic, but I am listening to a Grado :happy_face1:

What does your PC have in it, soundcard wise? And are you ripping lossless from your CDs?

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #6,611 of 66,264
Quote:
What does your PC have in it, soundcard wise? And are you ripping lossless from your CDs?

The soundcard is pretty generic factory installed...I don't' know off hand. Some of my CDs are lossless...I've just recently got into better sound and I'm in the process of  burning new music lossless.

I'vealso  just ordered a  NAS for more storage which has been a limiting factor, and then plan to re rip most of my older files.

But, right now I'm on a streaming kick as it's a new toy toy for me. I'm listening to Rhapsody and I know the sound is compromised due to the bit rate. MOG sounds like a good move...I initially decided to give Rhapsody a try becaue they have a family kind of plan that allows multiple mobile devices....got a teenager in the house.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #6,612 of 66,264
The soundcard is pretty generic factory installed...I don't' know off hand. Some of my CDs are lossless...I've just recently got into better sound and I'm in the process of  burning new music lossless.

I'vealso  just ordered a  NAS for more storage which has been a limiting factor, and then plan to re rip most of my older files.

But, right now I'm on a streaming kick as it's a new toy toy for me. I'm listening to Rhapsody and I know the sound is compromised due to the bit rate. MOG sounds like a good move...I initially decided to give Rhapsody a try becaue they have a family kind of plan that allows multiple mobile devices....got a teenager in the house.

If you're sourcing from the PC, I'd honestly suggest a soundcard over a stand-alone D/A, unless you have a reasonable amount of money to spend (multiple hundreds -> thousands). :)

And re-ripping your CDs to at least 320k range would be a good choice as well; and will probably do more for you than a D/A (in other words, the D/A can't "undo" the problems associated with over-compression).

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #6,613 of 66,264
Quote:
If you're sourcing from the PC, I'd honestly suggest a soundcard over a stand-alone D/A, unless you have a reasonable amount of money to spend (multiple hundreds -> thousands).
smily_headphones1.gif

And re-ripping your CDs to at least 320k range would be a good choice as well; and will probably do more for you than a D/A (in other words, the D/A can't "undo" the problems associated with over-compression).

Thanks. I get your point re: ocver compression. That is helpful re: soundcard. I've been debating the Biforst, Modi, Hrt Strmer, dragonfly, etc. but, honestly I'm mostly listening thru my Onkyo receiver vs PC since it sounds better and I switch between stereso speakers and my HP's.

Then, I have to look at whether I'd just go w/ USB for the PC vs having USB and USPDIF that I could throw into the stereo receiver/Sonos mix. I think I'm going to hold off on any DAC purchases for the moment.

I'll definitely rerip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back