Grado Fan Club!
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #65,417 of 65,587
Yesterday when I came home from my mother's house I decided suddenly to start with the Beautiful audio adapter fir the GS3000x. I thought I was ready to start without the manual. I thought I had memorised everything. Unfortunately I have cut the headphone cable 0,5 cm too short!

But fortunately I was able to get it done right despite the cable shortness !

Pictures are coming later. And I still need to shorten the gimbal so it fits the cable adapter.
The GS3000x sounds sublime on the Meier Soul! I am happy I am able to connect with xlr.
Cd played David Bowie Moonage daydream a film by Britt Morgen.

And Cd Reprise by Moby on the Rme adi-2 pro.

Attachments

• 20240415_183744.jpg
    20240415_183744.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #65,418 of 65,587
Well, it didn’t take long but I think my RS-1 just died… 🙁 I’ve played some bass heavy music and the right side just started to rattle. First it was very quiet and audible below 100hz but now they’re unlistenable and something is rattling inside the cup! Is there a chance to save them? Sending to Grado is not an option.

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #65,419 of 65,587
When i just joined headfi , around late 2004 ( under different profile) , this amp was badly trashed by many for having cheap parts. Only a handful like zanith (if i remember correctly) praised it for being a good match with grado.
Now I want to get one just for collecting as it's getting rare in the market now.

Another amp that was trashed during that time is creek obh 11 se.
I was selling the Creek (not too many) in wholesale. Sound was ok but not Cteek.
Well, it didn’t take long but I think my RS-1 just died… 🙁 I’ve played some bass heavy music and the right side just started to rattle. First it was very quiet and audible below 100hz but now they’re unlistenable and something is rattling inside the cup! Is there a chance to save them? Sending to Grado is not an option.
Sorry to hear you have a problem, are overseas or here in the U.S.? If purchased new from an authorized dealer in the US should be a year warranty. If not the case if you could access Grado they can quote a price for repair. I don’t want to pry why you mentioned contacting Grado is not an option. If you like send me a PM regarding the circumstances.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #65,420 of 65,587
Sorry to hear you have a problem, are overseas or here in the U.S.? If purchased new from an authorized dealer in the US should be a year warranty. If not the case if you could access Grado they can quote a price for repair. I don’t want to pry why you mentioned contacting Grado is not an option. If you like send me a PM regarding the circumstances.
These are 19 year old RS-1 buttons. Shipping from Europe and back would add taxes and Grado would most likely replace the drivers for some newer ones which would basically mean I would get different headphones back.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #65,422 of 65,587
The GH2 arrived, complete with a nice pair of BA pads. However, for me, I preferred the sound of the RS2x. Hoping these find a new home in the UK via the classifieds if anyone is interested.

IMG_0464.jpeg
IMG_0465.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #65,424 of 65,587
The GH2 arrived, complete with a nice pair of BA pads. However, for me, I preferred the sound of the RS2x. Hoping these find a new home in the UK via the classifieds if anyone is interested.

IMG_0464.jpegIMG_0465.jpeg
Did you compare both using stock pads?

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #65,426 of 65,587
Today i went to my local audio shop to see if they had any deals, they are currently selling RS2x for 450 euros and the RS1e + G pads for 400 euros. should i get one of them? how does the RS1e compare to RS2x?
The RS1x when I demoed it was pretty close to the GS1000x. Fast, neutral, and pretty light on bass. Treble was pretty neutral. I don't know about the RS1e except that it is the older RS1 variant. The RS2x has substantially more bass but is more V shaped. The treble on the RS2x tamed down quite a bit after about 24-48 hours of burn in. I guess it depends if you want more neutral or more bass. Both had huge soundstage and were equally comfortable.

My vote is unless you have a tube amp or a warm source, the RS2x. YMMV

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #65,427 of 65,587
@zerolight can you share your thoughts about GH2 in comparison to RS2x? What did you prefer in the latter?
I don't currently have my RS2x so I am going from memory. I do have the 880 Edition with me at the moment. The GH2 are super clear, and I think I prefer the sound of the GH2 with the BA pads, but I just like a little bit more mids, especially with guitars. The super clarity the GH2 has takes a little bit of the body away from the guitar to my ears, vs the 880 pro which adds some sweetness to it, but the 880 over does the highs. My recollection of the RS2x was that it has better mids but poorer bass response vs the GH2. I don't think there's an awful lot in it, and I'll have the RS2x back again in a couple of weeks to compare.

With 80s rock, which I listen to a lot, the GH2 are a mixed bag, showing up poorer recordings immediately. Some stuff sounds amazing though. With female vocals, stuff like Norah Jones, they are superb. There's a lot of detail. More than I am used to in the top end, which I think contributes to them sounding thinner in the mids, because the mids are less prominent rather than not there.

I'll keep listening to them whilst I wait for a buyer, you never know I might keep em.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #65,428 of 65,587
Did you compare both using stock pads?
I'm going from memory on the RS2x. But I spent a lot of time on the stock pads, then the BAs with both foam types. Some tracks sound best with the stock pads, some improve with the BA pads. The BA pads add comfort, and work with a broader range, the stock pads can be a little splashy on poorer 80s recordings. I'm a Van Halen and GnR fan so most of what I listen to is poorly recorded 80s stuff.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #65,430 of 65,587

Users who are viewing this thread

Back