Grado Fan Club!
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #65,446 of 65,599
You can get the original grado extension cable which is about 4 meters, or you could get a generic one.
Grado sell that 4 metre cable but I think an extension of about 1 metre would be very useful to many people. The original cable with my SR325x cans is excellent for plugging them into my Meridian Prime DAC/amp which sits on my desk however quite often I have things set up so that I'm a bit further away from the DAC/amp and I think a lot of people are like that. If your DAC/amp is in a rack system for example and you sit beside it, as I see many Head-Fiers do, then you'd want a cable that is about 1 metre longer than the stock.

Actually I had a cursory look for an extension of about this length here in the UK in fact they have them at Amazon, quite a choice, but all with mini jack-plugs and all very cheap. I'm thinking I'd want something a bit better quality, so for that I think I'd have to get it made up. Years ago I would have soldered it myself actually but nowadays I have other things I'd rather do.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #65,447 of 65,599
Grado sell that 4 metre cable but I think an extension of about 1 metre would be very useful to many people. The original cable with my SR325x cans is excellent for plugging them into my Meridian Prime DAC/amp which sits on my desk however quite often I have things set up so that I'm a bit further away from the DAC/amp and I think a lot of people are like that. If your DAC/amp is in a rack system for example and you sit beside it, as I see many Head-Fiers do, then you'd want a cable that is about 1 metre longer than the stock.

Actually I had a cursory look for an extension of about this length here in the UK in fact they have them at Amazon, quite a choice, but all with mini jack-plugs and all very cheap. I'm thinking I'd want something a bit better quality, so for that I think I'd have to get it made up. Years ago I would have soldered it myself actually but nowadays I have other things I'd rather do.
My dac amp is on my table beside my monitor most of the time when I'm listening to music I'm stting in my chair and i don't need an extension cable. However if a want to walk around in my room that 4.5m extension cable comes in really handy or if i want to be in my bed but if I'm just on my computer or listening in my anything that is 2m+ i find annoying.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #65,448 of 65,599
They look gorgeous though.
You might ask the dealer who loaned them to you if he had any idea of how much playtime they might have on them. My experience had both the RS1x and former TOTL PS2000e as needing way more break in time than any of my other Grados. Essentially both of those models did not fully evolve until you were hitting 300 hours as compared with the usual minimum 50 to 100 hours to get you into the land of happy sound. This has been the experience of several other well regarded Grado collectors and fans. For me the RS1x sounded a bit slender in the bass and a bit sharp on top occasionally. That is all gone now and it is very nice in it’s balance and has become very popular.

Enjoy the ride but the best might be yet to come. When you’re not listening to them you might just let them play some full range music on repeat while you still have them on loan.

My three cents worth.

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpeg
    IMG_2863.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0213.png
    IMG_0213.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #65,450 of 65,599
You might ask the dealer who loaned them to you if he had any idea of how much playtime they might have on them. My experience had both the RS1x and former TOTL PS2000e as needing way more break in time than any of my other Grados. Essentially both of those models did not fully evolve until you were hitting 300 hours as compared with the usual minimum 50 to 100 hours to get you into the land of happy sound. This has been the experience of several other well regarded Grado collectors and fans. For me the RS1x sounded a bit slender in the bass and a bit sharp on top occasionally. That is all gone now and it is very nice in it’s balance and has become very popular.

Enjoy the ride but the best might be yet to come. When you’re not listening to them you might just let them play some full range music on repeat while you still have them on loan.

My three cents worth.
I think he had that RS1x since they came out, but I don't know if it got much headtime: there seem to be not that many people into higher Grado models here in Austria (he tells me that the Prestige models sell OK though). For me I think its more a matter of taste, I liked the RS2x better from the start. Not enough for purchasing one though... trying to keep that collector tendency a bit in check :wink: I have the RS1x until Friday, so maybe tomorrow I'll dig out some Deep Purple or AC/DC.

Interesting side fact: the cable of my PS500x looks quite similar to the cable of the RS1x, but feels quite a bit softer.

Currently my GH2 and my GS3000x get the most headtime. I'm still thinking about that HP-1000 I have to admit.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #65,451 of 65,599
Here in Poland Grados are not popular. There’s an audio dealer in my city who sells them, but since there’s no interest, they don’t have any stock. You can only order them.

I’ve spent a chunk portion of the day with the GH2 on my head and I’m really impressed. Since I already had GH4, I never thought about them, but curiosity won and I’m glad I’ve managed to get ‘em. They are really similar to GH4 and at the same time different enough to justify keeping both. Fantastic!

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #65,452 of 65,599
there seem to be not that many people into higher Grado models here in Austria (he tells me that the Prestige models sell OK though).
Here in Poland Grados are not popular. There’s an audio dealer in my city who sells them, but since there’s no interest, they don’t have any stock. You can only order them.
Here are the top selling headphones from my local audio shop. (this one isn't even in my country they are from czechia and they just send all of the stuff me to for very cheap) :L3000:

Screenshot_20240417-230307.png

Im thinking about getting SR225x as I heard many good things about it but I already have the SR325x should i get the 225x?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #65,453 of 65,599
Im still thinking about that 450 euro open box RS2x also there is an RS1e + G pads for 400 euros (open box condition) and a RS2e for 230 euros (open box condition, DEMO unit) What a are the differences between these HP's? Which one should i get? Also all of them have a 2 year warranty.
Screenshot_20240417-230336~3.png

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #65,454 of 65,599
Here are the top selling headphones from my local audio shop. (this one isn't even in my country they are from czechia and they just send all of the stuff me to for very cheap) :L3000: There are 5-10 audio shop that i know of in the whole country. ):

Screenshot_20240417-230307.png
Instresting, the SR225x is on top! But the secound place goes for the LCD 5's? what? How did a 5000 euro HP get into 2nd place? Let's not talk about the third one. The HD 660S2, never heard it, don't got much to say about this one. I like my OG marbled HD600 from HD6xx line up. :) The fifth place is for the ATH-R70x definitly a good choice I love these HP's but i don't have them currently, the price is very promising though. :)

Im thinking about getting SR225x as I heard many good things about it but I already have the SR325x should i get the 225x?
The Grado being on top is for good reason. A hell of a lot of bang for the buck

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #65,455 of 65,599
I've swapped the foams back to the black open foam pads inside the BA hybrids in the GH2 and am finding this to be a nice middle ground between the stock Grado foam and the white foam inside the BA. Seems to bring a bit of warmth to the mids without bloating the bass too much. It's a close call between open cell in the BA and stock pads depending on the track. But I think I'm warming to the sound with the BA hybrid. They do sound most Grado like stock though.

edit: back to the stock pads. I feel like I am wearing ear muffs with the BA pads. Soft, comfy, hot.
I thought I was the only one doing something like this! We’re earskimo brothers!
IMG-1812.jpeg

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #65,456 of 65,599
Shelving my main rig with the GS3000e for now and switching to my GH4 + iFi iDSD Black Label. Unfortunately, the main rig just pumps out too much heat. It was nice for winter, but the weather's warming up, and the building's central AC won't kick in until late June.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #65,457 of 65,599
IMG_7852.jpeg

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #65,458 of 65,599
Im still thinking about that 450 euro open box RS2x also there is an RS1e + G pads for 400 euros (open box condition) and a RS2e for 230 euros (open box condition, DEMO unit) What a are the differences between these HP's? Which one should i get? Also all of them have a 2 year warranty.
Screenshot_20240417-230336~3.png
The RS2e for 235 Euros is a true steal! They're a little bass light so be aware of that. But some years ago the RS2e were pretty hyped on this forum and i paid over 500 Euros for mine new in 2020.

I use them with the Chord Mojo 2 with some bass boost and they're really great, rich in details and microdynamics.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #65,459 of 65,599
I thought I was the only one doing something like this! We’re earskimo brothers!
IMG-1812.jpeg
I'm going to save my pads for winter. They are too warm for me right now. The stock pads actually sound fine and I don't have any comfort issues with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back