Grado Fan Club!
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #65,087 of 65,663
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #65,088 of 65,663
Hello everybody,

I have been scrolling through the pages but I am still wondering what Grado headphone would be the best for heavy rock / metal? Im mostly into death metal so production values of the music arent usualy that good. I can see that Grado RS1x get mentions here and there, could it be the most optimal choice?

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #65,089 of 65,663
Hello everybody,

I have been scrolling through the pages but I am still wondering what Grado headphone would be the best for heavy rock / metal? Im mostly into death metal so production values of the music arent usualy that good. I can see that Grado RS1x get mentions here and there, could it be the most optimal choice?

If you've never experienced any other Grados before, I'd suggest starting with the 325x.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #65,090 of 65,663
Hello everybody,

Or you can start with the SR225x's, many people love these and they are pretty cheap too.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #65,091 of 65,663
Hello everybody,

I mostly listen to death metal and my Rs1x renders distortion guitar sound like no other but I've seen people have different opinions about bass quantity. Rs1x's bass is not strong but I can still hear everything. Highly recommended!

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #65,092 of 65,663
Can someone please compare gs2000e and gs3000x please? Is there a clear superiority or inferiority between the two?

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #65,093 of 65,663
Hello everybody,

The RS1X are exceptional at death metal, especially after extensive burn in. But they also have a very "live" and spacious sound. You might not immediately appreciate it. It really grows on you. A lot of people say the RS2X are more well rounded, but I don't own them. Can't go wrong with a 325 tho and they're much cheaper.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #65,094 of 65,663
I mostly listen to death metal and my Rs1x renders distortion guitar sound like no other but I've seen people have different opinions about bass quantity. Rs1x's bass is not strong but I can still hear everything. Highly recommended!
RS-1x bass is nicely 'fleshed out', without bloat, when driven by the right headphone amplifier. Examples include: (solid / state) HeadAmp Gilmore Lite II; any Violectric '200 series'; (vacuum / tube) Icon Audio HP8, Woo Audio WA6; (ss / vt hybrid) Liquid Platinum; Schiit Lyr3; Schiit Vali2++; Schiit Vali3; Sparkos Lab Gemini.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #65,095 of 65,663
The RS1X has fantastic bass. It's just not very bass forward. But it hits deep. And it sounds clean. Very detailed. When the track demands bass, you will get it.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #65,096 of 65,663
Well said .... and even better heard 😀

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #65,098 of 65,663
Hello everybody,

I'm very new to Grado but as others have said, I'd also recommend starting with the 225x or 325x. I got the 225x and decided pretty quickly that I was a big fan of it with the indie rock, post-rock, post-metal, black metal, 90s death metal, etc that I often listen to. I wanted to move up the Grado ladder and I found a good deal on a used Grado GH1 and returned the 225x since I want to keep my headphone collection very small. I think that once you try the 225/325x it'll give you a better sense of whether you want to try a brighter and crunchier Grado like the RS2x / last gen e drivers or a more "balanced" Grado, in which case it seems that the 325x could be endgame for some as far as Grados go

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #65,099 of 65,663
On a related note, would love to know more about how the GH series headphones compare to this generation's RS series or even something like the PS2000e (seeing @YtseJamer 's post about an upcoming PS2000x-ish release has me very intrigued so I'm trying to get a sense of whether that would be the sort of thing for me). From what I've read it seems the PS series has some more bass with less upper mid focus? I wonder if the engagement with electric guitars suffers at all from this compared to other Grados?

Mar 30, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #65,100 of 65,663
On a related note, would love to know more about how the GH series headphones compare to this generation's RS series or even something like the PS2000e (seeing @YtseJamer 's post about an upcoming PS2000x-ish release has me very intrigued so I'm trying to get a sense of whether that would be the sort of thing for me). From what I've read it seems the PS series has some more bass with less upper mid focus? I wonder if the engagement with electric guitars suffers at all from this compared to other Grados?
A short take for a response:
• GH series headphones have different sonic 'flavours' in part because of different woods used. GH1, maple; GH2, cocobolo; GH3, Norwegian pine; GH4, Norwegian pine. GH as a class cannot be validly compared to RS as a class. The comparison has to be headphone vs headphone. Even then, personal preference will rule.
• With that, I love the sound from GH1, GH2, GH4. Balance, clarity, depth, dynamics, impact! No experience with GH3.
• Are they 'better' than RS-1 "button", than RS-1x? No, somewhat different - but they are clearly Grados. As a familiar aside: to me, RS-1 "button" is the best of any of the Reference Series - past or present.
• As for Professional Series, I can only speak to/about 2000e. For me, the best sonically balanced, widest frequency range, widest dynamic range, deepest soundstage Grado that I have heard. Note: I have not heard the Grado HP-1.
IMG_7650.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back