Grado Fan Club!
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #65,026 of 65,581
Today, I was in the "big" city and had some time to spare. I thought, why not go and have a listen to the RS-2X and RS-1X, which I had not listened to yet. The dealer told me they stopped having RS-1X in stock because they often had it returned from consumers, who purchased them online and didn't like their sound. "Simply too far away from what people expected" he said and a headphone that split the waters. I can only imagine that they must be super bright compared to other headphones. Maybe the "Etymotic ER4S" of Grado's? A headphone that you really need to spend long time with to adjust your ears to appreciate the bass compared to other headphones.

So, from the reference series, they only had RS-2X in stock and I spent some time with them playing from a VIOLECTRIC DHA V226. They looked stunning with the beautiful bright wood but they didn't really convince me. I found the treble somewhat incoherent with the rest and they didn't sound natural. They excelled in micro detail and air but sounded thin and lacked some of the kick and edgy punchiness that I have gotten used to in my SR225e. I know that quick judgement should not be ones final decision on a headphone, but they are indeed different from what I know as the normal Grado house sound.

Since I was not impressed with RS-2X, instead I asked if I could try the SR325x. :scream: Earlier I sold the SR225x because I liked the SR225e better. My thoughts on the differences between SR225e and SR225x are written here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grado-labs-sr225e.20231/review/27193/

Immediately I was impressed with the SR325x - WOW! Such a punchy, open, coherent and in your face sounding headphone. Really balanced and natural. The pairing with VIOLECTRIC DHA V226 was divine! I ended up purchasing the SR325x... took me 5 minutes to decide that I couln't leave the store without them.

Right now, I find the 325x better than the Hemp to my ears. Whether it will replace the SR225e as my Grado reference, time will tell. I feel like I could build my end game system around the SR325x.

53600259649_d3a1d38f45_k.jpg

53599054952_9b571c7e13_k.jpg

53600259679_fa8429a014_k.jpg
Grado rs2x doesn't impress at 1st impression when new. It grows on you if you buy it and listen over a period of time>

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #65,027 of 65,581
Scored a pretty sweet deal today on G Cushions courtesy of Grado's email list...
Good ole' John comes through once again, just had to pay shipping!

Authentic Grado gear for ebay prices, what a day. :gs1000smile:
12333254.png

Attachments

• 1711464664674.png
    1711464664674.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #65,028 of 65,581
Scored a pretty sweet deal today on G Cushions courtesy of Grado's email list...
Good ole' John comes through once again, just had to pay shipping!

Authentic Grado gear for ebay prices, what a day. :gs1000smile:
12333254.png
Almost Freebay !! 🤣🤣🤣

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #65,029 of 65,581
My new SR325x cans sound just breathtaking with this:

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 15.05.36.png

That is on Apple Music actually although I'm playing a file I bought at Bandcamp.

Deliciously dark. Try it with the SR325x!

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #65,030 of 65,581

GW100x Question.​

I just received a marketing email from Grado touting them as version 3. Do all the previous models have a the same model number??? Does the "x" designation indicated this is the latest version? If not how can you tell what your ordering is the latest version?

Many thanks!

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #65,031 of 65,581
My impressions with the Midgard and the Ps2000e so far...

When listening to the Ps2000e it feels like I am inside a Holographic chamber
When I use the Halo output of the Midgard then
everything (bass, music placement, ...) is more controlled

Using the RME adi-2 pro as dac with xlr output to the Midgard.

The Ps2000e feels like I am a doing à critical listening at a studio while the hemp is more warmer relaxed.
Going back to the Meier audio Corda Soul. This one sounds the smoothest. With better instrument placement and oh the Timbre and the Meier Audio crossfeed.
And there are 2 headphone outputs, one with 0 ohm and one with 100 ohm.
It's like having 2 different amps.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #65,032 of 65,581
Going back to the Meier audio Corda Soul. This one sounds the smoothest. With better instrument placement and oh the Timbre and the Meier Audio crossfeed.
And there are 2 headphone outputs, one with 0 ohm and one with 100 ohm.
It's like having 2 different amps.
The Corda Soul is a very intriguing dac-amp. Looks like it has a bit of a learning curve with all of those controls!

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #65,033 of 65,581

GW100x Question.​

I just received a marketing email from Grado touting them as version 3. Do all the previous models have a the same model number??? Does the "x" designation indicated this is the latest version? If not how can you tell what your ordering is the latest version?

Many thanks!
The x designation does indicate this is the latest version of the GW100.
GW100x - Version 3

The V1 and V2 of the GW100 are virtually indistinguishable visually.
Technical wise, slightly different.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #65,034 of 65,581
Well this certainly matches up with my experience of the SR325x. I bought them, I think very cheaply, from Amazon in the UK for £245. Normally I don't buy from Amazon actually but if there is a good deal there then I will. To be honest I didn't know much about Grado cans, I had seen some interesting things said about them here and there and I'd seen DMS review the SR325x very positively also What Hi Fi in the UK had been extremely positive. However I was unaware of the subtle but important differences between the different models. So when I found that the SR325x is absolutely superb with electronica (one of the genres I listen to) I was quite surprised. For some reason I had associated Grado with probably being great with historic 60s jazz recordings, actually I have a lot of those as well and they are great with that, however I wasn't expecting them to absolutely kill it with electronica. So, now I see that the SR325x are probably particularly good with this genre. I'm looking forward to buying some more Grado cans in the not too distant future but I want to just spend a few months absolutely delighting in the SR325x cans.

I really take issue with DMS's review, he loved the Gado SR325x, his words "I love this headphone, I bought this headphone I'm gonna be keeping this headphone", and then in the Headphone Show's 'the GIANT headphone tier list (end of 2023)' DMS rates it 'D' while the rest of the guys rate it 'how did it happen'!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #65,035 of 65,581
I really take issue with DMS's review, he loved the Gado SR325x, his words "I love this headphone, I bought this headphone I'm gonna be keeping this headphone", and then in the Headphone Show's 'the GIANT headphone tier list (end of 2023)' DMS rates it 'D' while the rest of the guys rate it 'how did it happen'!

It's probably because headphones.com doesn't carry Grado headphones for resale. But let's be cautious discussing this here. Remember, someone got banned a few months ago for criticizing some of the folks from headphones.com

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #65,036 of 65,581
I guess no one paid him for his opinion... I really don't pay attention to most of the YouTubers and headphone channel cranks anymore... They constantly contradict themselves.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #65,037 of 65,581
The Corda Soul is a very intriguing dac-amp. Looks like it has a bit of a learning curve with all of those controls!
And dsp. The equalizer buttons are actually only useful for older audio cd or older music files. The Soul also has a crossfeed for speakers. And you can bypass the Soul dac if you want to use your own and still be able to use the Soul dsp. But you will need a dac with xlr output.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #65,039 of 65,581
A message from the Meier audio Corda Soul Headfi forum:
The common Grado headphone models (SR60 etc.) sound excessively bright with uneven frequency response & high distortion. That is the traditional "Grado voicing", some love it, some hate it. They can benefit from the 120 ohm output of the Soul, which acts like a tone control, boosting output around 100 Hz where the Grado impedance peaks, taming the brightness a bit.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #65,040 of 65,581
That is very unimpressive on behalf of DMS. So, two years ago he loved it, then three months ago he is giving it a "D". Well I guess he has been influenced by those other guys there.

All that crap about build quality annoys me. Mine are built just fine. Okay they are not built like a pair of Sennheiser headphones, instead they look like something from a small manufacturer but I'm fine with that. The SR325x cans have lovely chunky aluminium for the driver housing, whereas a comparable pair of Sennheisers will be moulded plastic. I think I prefer the Grados in that regard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back